So good I might serve it again tonight

Airehead

48 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Looks yummy, assuming that's vegan cheese.

I sometimes use this recipe to make the “cheese”

Easy Buffalo Mozzarella (adapted from Miyoko’s recipe in VegNews)

1 cup plain, unsweetened soy yogurt

1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 3 – 8 hours and drained

1 cup water, divided

1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt

3 tablespoons tapioca flour

1 tablespoon agar powder

Combine the yogurt, cashews, a half cup of the water, and salt in a blender and process until emulsified. Transfer to a container, cover loosely, and set aside for 12 to 24 hours until slightly tangy. Whisk in the tapioca flour.

Combine the agar and remaining half cup of water in a small saucepan. Whisk together. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Pour in the yogurt mixture and mix well with a whisk. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is smooth, glossy, and stretchy.

Prepare a large bowl of ice water. Using an ice cream scooper, drop balls of the cheese into the ice bath. Let sit for 20 to 30 minutes until firm.

50 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Looks yummy, assuming that's vegan cheese.

Last night was regular cheese

5 hours ago, Airehead said:

I sometimes use this recipe to make the “cheese”

Easy Buffalo Mozzarella (adapted from Miyoko’s recipe in VegNews)

1 cup plain, unsweetened soy yogurt

1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 3 – 8 hours and drained

1 cup water, divided

1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt

3 tablespoons tapioca flour

1 tablespoon agar powder

Combine the yogurt, cashews, a half cup of the water, and salt in a blender and process until emulsified. Transfer to a container, cover loosely, and set aside for 12 to 24 hours until slightly tangy. Whisk in the tapioca flour.

Combine the agar and remaining half cup of water in a small saucepan. Whisk together. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Pour in the yogurt mixture and mix well with a whisk. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is smooth, glossy, and stretchy.

Prepare a large bowl of ice water. Using an ice cream scooper, drop balls of the cheese into the ice bath. Let sit for 20 to 30 minutes until firm.

Last night was regular cheese

I had no idea there could be a vegan interpretation for buffalo mozarella cheese.

If one dries out a block or 2 of tofu by putting a plate on top over a strainer for 1 hr. or longer, then chopping it up and mixing lightly with mustard, you could have a version of devilled eggs. Oh yes, don't forget if you want it, dash of cayenne pepper or paprika.

• Heart 1