Wordle 7/26/22 (Spoiler)

Ralphie
Go to solution Solved by Prophet Zacharia,

I think I am done with Wordle after today. I got it in five, but the sheer number of days you have all the last four letters and have cycle through four or more possibilities to simply guess is annoying.  I want to get the solution through deduction rather than first-letter guesses.  
bleh. 

• Heart 1

49 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I think I am done with Wordle after today. I got it in five, but the sheer number of days you have all the last four letters and have cycle through four or more possibilities to simply guess is annoying.  I want to get the solution through deduction rather than first-letter guesses.  
bleh. 

I think it would be better if they gave you some vague clue about the word, so that you could use your knowledge and your deductive powers to arrive at the correct answer instead of it being so much of an all-out guessing game.  IMO, success in this game relies too much on luck and too little on one's ability to solve a puzzle.

Even Monk couldn't figure out the answer when it becomes one of those batch, catch, hatch, latch, match, patch, watch guess-a-thons.  

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

bleh. 

ROPE A DOPE!!!

Wordle 402 5/6*

🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

ROPE A DOPE!!!

I wish it was just that, giving the word a false sense of security until you spring.

RR is right to pull that example out, there are too many days where it is just plain chance, like today.  Plain chance is no fun, nobody learns from chance, you don't feel smart with a lucky guess, either.

Chance is a funny word.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I wish it was just that, giving the word a false sense of security until you spring.

RR is right to pull that example out, there are too many days where it is just plain chance, like today.  Plain chance is no fun, nobody learns from chance, you don't feel smart with a lucky guess, either.

Chance is a funny word.

Wordle is a very easy game, RG, so without chance of getting rope-a-doped, it would be a very rare day that folks would lose in six.  Without the rope-a-dope "guess the letter", I can't see there being any folks losing.  So, far, everyone was pretty much into "random guess" mode fairly early. I even considered CINCH for my #2, #3 an #4, but wanted to use new letters before repeat letters - which I think most folks instinctually try too.  Having a C in position one from the first would have helped a lot, but such is Wordle's charm :D

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Wordle is a very easy game, RG, so without chance of getting rope-a-doped, it would be a very rare day that folks would lose in six.  Without the rope-a-dope "guess the letter", I can't see there being any folks losing.  So, far, everyone was pretty much into "random guess" mode fairly early. I even considered CINCH for my #2, #3 an #4, but wanted to use new letters before repeat letters - which I think most folks instinctually try too.  Having a C in position one from the first would have helped a lot, but such is Wordle's charm :D

Eh, other activities will have to charm me instead, I suppose.  I also suppose I could play it a few times a year for repeat novelty.

That said, while it is easy to get a word in six tries for the majority of days, there have been a few hard days where it takes the full six, even if you normally average 4 to get the word.  Actual hard words are infuriating and interesting and challenging at the same time, but a day like today just seemed a stupid waste of time to me, and there are entirely too many of those days.

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Plain chance is no fun, nobody learns from chance, you don't feel smart with a lucky guess, either.

Exactly.  On the few occasions that I have solved in two, I knew it was mostly based on luck, either by my first or second word selection.  And I even felt a bit guilty when posting it here and wondered if people may have thought that I cheated.  So if you don't feel good even when you do "well", then what's the point? 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Eh, other activities will have to charm me instead, I suppose.  I also suppose I could play it a few times a year for repeat novelty.

That said, while it is easy to get a word in six tries for the majority of days, there have been a few hard days where it takes the full six, even if you normally average 4 to get the word.  Actual hard words are infuriating and interesting and challenging at the same time, but a day like today just seemed a stupid waste of time to me, and there are entirely too many of those days.

I don’t know!  Being in jeopardy of loosing gets the heart pumping!  I laughed, I cried… :D

• Heart 1

46 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I think it would be better if they gave you some vague clue about the word, so that you could use your knowledge and your deductive powers to arrive at the correct answer instead of it being so much of an all-out guessing game.  IMO, success in this game relies too much on luck and too little on one's ability to solve a puzzle.

Even Monk couldn't figure out the answer when it becomes one of those batch, catch, hatch, latch, match, patch, watch guess-a-thons.  

Maybe semantle is the game for you.  I didn’t get past the directions, and my smarter than me brudder warned me it was difficult. 

21 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Quordle is definitely more fun and a little more strategic.  You can hit rope a dope, but usually, that at least helps in other quadrants.

Wordle 402 4/6

🟨
🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My responses were almost the same as Prophet Zacharia today.

ADIEU, NITRO, PINCH, CINCH

I didn't do it today, but on days where you get to the point that there are multiple options with one word difference, I try to think of a word with as many of the possible letter options as possible so that I can rule some out.  If I have enough guesses left, I'll often just guess.  But if I only have a few, I might try that.

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, Kirby said:

If I have enough guesses left, I'll often just guess.  But if I only have a few, I might try that.

I feel like people who are complaining about the guesswork aspect of the game generally DON’T burn a guess to eliminate letters. I didn’t need to do it today, but yesterday I had to ignore my known letters on guess 3 in order to figure out where it was going.

I think people resist this step, betting they’re going to get it with the next guess, but then get crabby when three guesses later they still don’t have the answer. So instead of ruling in/out 5 new letters that would nearly guarantee it getting solved in four or five tries, they gamble they will get it three,  and complain there is no strategy when they are wrong.

C9D32BBA-5DB6-4EAD-B7F1-AF45B2B0D7D1.thumb.jpeg.1ba0b998eac633b666261228f9f8c726.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I feel like people who are complaining about the guesswork aspect of the game generally DON’T burn a guess to eliminate letters. I didn’t need to do it today, but yesterday I had to ignore my known letters on guess 3 in order to figure out where it was going.

I think people resist this step, betting they’re going to get it with the next guess, but then get crabby when three guesses later they still don’t have the answer. So instead of ruling in/out 5 new letters that would nearly guarantee it getting solved in four or five tries, they gamble they will get it three,  and complain there is no strategy when they are wrong.

C9D32BBA-5DB6-4EAD-B7F1-AF45B2B0D7D1.thumb.jpeg.1ba0b998eac633b666261228f9f8c726.jpeg

So you are saying we needed a word like CFWPxx

31 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

So you are saying we needed a word like CFWPxx

Or Cowps, which is an old but real word.  If none of those letters  hit, then you'd know it was the F.  :)  But I didn't do that, I just randomly guessed.  :nodhead: