OK, which one of you...

Wilbur

I don't get the huge jackpot thing.  Instead of one person winning 1.3 billion, why not set it up so there are multiple winners?  With that much money to give away, wouldn't it be better if a thousand people won a million or a hundred people won 10 million?  No one needs 1.3 billion.  That's obscene.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

I don't get the huge jackpot thing.  Instead of one person winning 1.3 billion, why not set it up so there are multiple winners?  With that much money to give away, wouldn't it be better if a thousand people won a million or a hundred people won 10 million?  No one needs 1.3 billion.  That's obscene.

When I win, I give it away. 
Like “teacher of the month” goodie baskets from a tutoring company. They are filled with useful items, branded with their company logo for promotion, and a Starbucks card. I would give the card to a friend who drives to work, and I would distributed the stuff into other teachers mailboxes. I did keep a 6-inch ruler, though. Very handy. Gave away t-shirts, other gift cards, but I won a chapstick as a door prize once. I didn’t give it away. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

I agree.  Nobody need to win more than 50 million.  The big jackpots obviously drive ticket sales though. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I agree.  Nobody need to win more than 50 million.  The big jackpots obviously drive ticket sales though. 

I think it would be a better lure if you knew your chances of winning 10 million were 100 times higher than if the prize was 1 billion.  

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Even a 50 million win is hard to grasp.

10 million is more relatable. However it depends on the age of the winner.  50 million to someone in their late 20's is different than someone in their 70's.  Provided the young person lives long enough.

In reflection, I wonder if anyone I knew well, would go nuts/into addiction on something after winning megamillions. Or they would lead basically same life except for a nicer home, car(s) and a couple more trips plus a vacation home overseas.  Fund children's education, etc.

I'm not saying my family and friends lack being dreamers.  Maybe just cautious in how money is spent /invested and whose advice they would take.