How many of you have seen a therapist, or counselor, or psychiatrist, or psychologist?

Dottleshead

Yes.  It was required during my last year in the service for anyone in special weapons security to see the psyc folks every 3 months.  You might think that was because of the "packages" but they always seemed more interested if I would shoot someone or not.  They weren't looking for a "no" answer.

European companies routinely have a psyc evaluation as part of the hiring process.  When I was interviewing for a job with MACSA Lasers I had one as part of a 5 interview process.

I always wondered how I ever passed.

• Heart 3

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

When I managed the department for a Pharma company, I had to do an executive medical annually.  A psychologist visit was part of that so yes, about 10 times. 

Wilbur, you will appreciate this. While military pilots kept away from the mental health clinic like the plague (typically grounded if they had problems) occasional I would have pilots swing by as they were getting out of the military and ask of the was a course or study guide on taking a psychological test such as the MMPI that Delta (or other airline) was requiring of applicants. :D Short answer, there's not.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Tizeye said:

Wilbur, you will appreciate this. While military pilots kept away from the mental health clinic like the plague (typically grounded if they had problems) occasional I would have pilots swing by as they were getting out of the military and ask of the was a course or study guide on taking a psychological test such as the MMPI that Delta (or other airline) was requiring of applicants. :D Short answer, there's not.

Most pilots still fear it in civilian operations as well.  That is why so many self-medicate with alcohol.  It is a shame because most regulatory bodies now allow treatment with antidepressants while maintaining a pilots license. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Most pilots still fear it in civilian operations as well.  That is why so many self-medicate with alcohol.  It is a shame because most regulatory bodies now allow treatment with antidepressants while maintaining a pilots license. 

While I never grounded a pilot - and technically couldn't but spoke to the Flight Surgeon who has that sole responsibility. Only one I did was a command directed evaluation of an Air Traffic Controller. He was obviously depressed and kept trying to convince me how he didn't need to concentrate in his job (given that the Base didn't have an active flight mission, just transient aircraft, he was probably correct.) I let him dig his hole deeper and deeper, then with my best radio voice said "Maxwell tower, Seven Victor Tango request taxi to active." His jaw dropped as he know those were the tail numbers for an Aeroclub plane. :D

About the only actual pilots I saw were those malingering and trying to be discharged early for a commercial airline job. Actually, had one pilot who had a cushy job flying the General's King Aire suddenly develop a fear of flying IFR in the clouds. Although that one was tame. My best malingering goes to a lawyer who was starting his obligated payback after the military paid for his education. He was picked up fornicating with the trees on the base golfcourse.:dontknow: Oh, I could write a book!

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Mental health is a taboo topic.  Also, a lot of the advice you get is just smile, it will get better.  It doesn't.  Get help.

If you broke your leg, you'd get help, not just toughen up for a few days.

Someone in aviation found it was better to have medicated pilots than untreated pilots.  The German Wings and a few other pilot induced crashes convinced them. 

Yes. I was hyperactive as a child. In t 1960s they didn't have all the drugs that they have now thankfully. The doctor said that I was bored at school as I was well ahead in reading and math. He suggested some hobbies and told my parents to keep me busy both physically and mentally. I think that cycling helped a lot.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

I saw a psycologist a couple weeks ago, at least that’s what he says he is on his Facebook profile. Not sure how he became one because he always dropped out or flunked out of colleges he went to. He claims he is a psycologist for the department of homeland security. My son Ben and I went to see him to make sure he is ok. We haven’t seen him in six years.

As for therapists I stay away from them. If you break the word therapist down into it’s root words THE RAPIST you can see why I don’t trust them.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 2

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

As for therapists I stay away from them. If you break the word therapist down into it’s root words THE RAPIST you can see why I don’t trust them.

That's a bit of Ohio State "me" mentality!  Not "the rapist", but really only "a rapist"!  

Yes, during 2nd yr. university. The university offered counselling to registered full time students for no extra fee. It was about 8 months ...seeing her several times / month.  She specialized in cross-cultural counselling and also worked with international students.

Very helpful.  It  helped me transfer to another university which meant leaving my home town and demands of my parents. I also learned to become stronger in expressing my ethnic-racial identity.  I see this now in bits for some of  my nieces and nephews. I am there to help. This can be a mental health issue if a person is not free to express themselves and to become the best of themselves, without ridicule/ put-downs, etc.

I also saw one for only 3 wks. about 8 yrs. ago. I didn't find it helpful..because I realized what I needed  the friendly ear of long-standing close friends.   Counselling is part of our employee benefit health care pkg.

In our organization, it is encouraged we seek help. 

• Heart 3

49 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

And, when spoken the correct way, a "counselor" is a "con seller".  The more we dig, the worse this gets!

• Haha 3

I haven't, but a good friend went to one as part of a "requirement" for work.  They had no desire to go, but went due to work regulations.  After a few visits, they found it very helpful and continued well past what was required.   Their spouse even commented on the positive benefits that happened in their marriage at the time of the counseling sessions.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I saw a psycologist a couple weeks ago, at least that’s what he says he is on his Facebook profile. Not sure how he became one because he always dropped out or flunked out of colleges he went to. He claims he is a psycologist for the department of homeland security. My son Ben and I went to see him to make sure he is ok. We haven’t seen him in six years.

The big question does he feel instinctively the right person for your set of problems. Sometimes the background of the psychologist or counsellor can be useful to the patient. It shouldn't be but they are human beings with distinct life experiences and exposures (or non-exposures).

I would say that some of the problems I had, I would not think all counsellors I would be comfortable with feeling I was getting support / help.

5 hours ago, goldendesign said:

Sure have. Mostly therapists, my company has a provision in our healthcare that you get 8 sessions a year for free. I've used them each year I've been working for them. 
Mental health is just like regular healthcare, use it and it's amazing how an informed, trained professional can benefit your life.

Optum?

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Yes. I was hyperactive as a child. In t 1960s they didn't have all the drugs that they have now thankfully. The doctor said that I was bored at school as I was well ahead in reading and math. He suggested some hobbies and told my parents to keep me busy both physically and mentally. I think that cycling helped a lot.

I know the last time I dealt with depression I rode my bike out of it. I suspect that's where part of the answer lies today.

• Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

57 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I know the last time I dealt with depression I rode my bike out of it. I suspect that's where part of the answer lies today.

I would not say just cycling for me solves all my problems but for sure, it helps keep you simply motivated...looking ahead. Moving a bit forward each wk. We all know, this is just cycling, however slow, the speed doesn't matter..though I know you will whip along on the e-bike. 

In fact, it required me to remain persistent over the months. And it's just me, representing me and my life with dearie. So climbing even a mini-hill on bike, translates into self-encouragement  in other spheres of life.

If you have lived life honourably so far, it will help you...alot.  This alone, I am relieved and so glad. I am incredibly fortunate to have long-standing friends who have known me well for past 50-12 yrs. Yup, that long. So I don't have to overexplain myself. And most of these friends are scattered elsewhere outside of the province. This is ok since they listen and write thoughtfully.

• Heart 2

44 minutes ago, Dottles said:

A LOT of folks turn to exercise and/or time in nature to recharge & boost their moods.  For short bouts of the "blues", that's my prescription. For hardcore "real" clinical depression, I'd suggest better counseling than I could offer.  

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

A LOT of folks turn to exercise and/or time in nature to recharge & boost their moods.  For short bouts of the "blues", that's my prescription. For hardcore "real" clinical depression, I'd suggest better counseling than I could offer.  

Yes, exercise should not be something to run away but way better than just meds.  For difficult life problems, a good counsellor is better.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

Optum?

Yup. Been a great process for myself. A few years I was really struggling with some stuff so was able to get my 8 weeks and then opened another request as a couples request and went with my wife to the same counselor that was able to help redefine our relationship through the scope we needed. Highly suggest. Even if you feel your relationship is rock solid and your mental wellbeing flawless, it isn't and you aren't. But that's OK too.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

That's why I'm going, bro.  Can't punch your way out of molasses.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 3

6 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Avoid psychiatrists and their medications, though.

I wouldn't go 100% "avoid", but I sure would be careful with some of the medications they and other doctors might prescribe.  Definitely wise to pay attention to what is offered with ANY medication, but the ones that have a direct impact on one's mind are particularly important to evaluate.

I haven't yet, but life has been unkind in ways in recent history, so maybe a tuneup down the pike would do me some good.  Otherwise, I compartmentalize better than lots of folks do, though, so there is that.

I think I would like whatever drugs they wanted to prescribe me, too.

• Hugs 1

When I worked before I was given the job as a manager, I had to meet with a person about an evaluation.  I Googled the name of the person before the interview.  I found out that the woman just happened to be a psychologist.   That got made me curious, so I kept looking.  I found the college where she got her degree, and the HS where she graduated, and the very small downstate IL farm town where she was raised.   (people put WAY too much info on the internet about themselves)

I get to the interview, and she introduces herself with just her name.  No mention about being a doc.  Towards the end of the 2 hour interview she made a comment about growing up in a small town, if I recall after we discussed where I was living, which was a rural town in IL.  Then I said...  "Yeah your home town (I told her the name, and I can't remember it now) is a small town, doc."   She was kind of surprised.  If I recall...  I told her I just wanted to know who I was meeting with. :)    I passed the test.... I got the job.   

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

As WoScrapr was in her last 6 months Kaiser offered individual & family counseling. It helped me express  my fears of losing WoScrapr. And trying to form a new bond w/Lil scrapr. It helped immensely. I circled back when I started dating & we got into my feelings on that. So very helpful there. After woScrapr passed I rode the bike lots. That was therapy for me. Ride to exhaustion & do it again & again

I would recommend it highly. Go in with an open mind & don't hide your truths

Yeah I know a thing or two about it.  Good stuff says I  

2 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Looks like for the young ones though.  I’m guessing it may be ok for adults as we ahem know how to handle depression and aggressive behavior.  Yes @sheep_herder I am being snarky.

5 hours ago, goldendesign said:

Yup. Been a great process for myself. A few years I was really struggling with some stuff so was able to get my 8 weeks and then opened another request as a couples request and went with my wife to the same counselor that was able to help redefine our relationship through the scope we needed. Highly suggest. Even if you feel your relationship is rock solid and your mental wellbeing flawless, it isn't and you aren't. But that's OK too.

I just registered with the new company my employer moved to.  Optum to Lyra. 12 free sessions and then a copay per session after that.  

• Awesome 1

Well..I saw a therapist after my mom died..my 2cents worth..don't be afraid to interview your therapist..it helps if you have confidence in them..and a lousy therapist ain't worth the time or $$$

Yes..exercise is good for the blues..depression can be situational..and sometimes making changes  can help. And sometimes life is just overwhelming.

Depression can also be genetic and so many other things..It's been a long time since I studied mental health.

If a therapist helps your depression great..if you need antidepressant drugs..I suggest #1 you work with a psychiatrist and not your GP...for determining that and finding the right drug..and #2 don't just do meds..do therapy as well. I think in some cases you can work through stuff with just therapy..but I think if you need meds you need to do therapy too.

Hugs to you and go get it.

• Heart 3