I had to yak this weekend

Parr8hed

45 minutes ago, smudge said:

Argh!! Don't encourage me!!!!

Seriously.  Our boats were dirt cheap.  They are sit-on fishing models.  I have fished out of it once or twice.  I think we paid 800 for both of them very gently used.  Even new they are not bad at all.  Ours came with paddles and life jackets.  I know that you can get more expensive ones for serious use but we put ours in calm water like this a couple times a year.  They do amazing for what they are.  Everyone should have one. This is not the exact model, but close. 

https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Tamarack-Angler-Fishing-Paddles/dp/B0856Q62BZ/ref=sr_1_8?crid=ASY4R7XYJ5SS&keywords=lifetime+weber+angler+kayak&qid=1659438595&sprefix=weber+kayak+lifetime%2Caps%2C81&sr=8-8

• Awesome 1

https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Muskie-Angler-Kayak-Paddle/dp/B00FMA9E1O/ref=sr_1_3?crid=UZJ5QWEH0O7N&keywords=tamarak+kayaks&qid=1659438801&sprefix=tamakrak+%2Caps%2C80&sr=8-3

I think this is the exact model we have.  They used to be a little more expensive new.  Like 550 or so.  Def a good deal for 400 bucks.  

The kids have 2 of these.  Theirs are a little smaller than ours.  Sit in not sit on.  They are a little more nimble but also a little more cramped.  

https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Payette-Sit-Inside-Angler-Sandstone/dp/B00843US2A/ref=sr_1_7?crid=JILRDYH0S264&keywords=lifetime+sit+in+kayak&qid=1659438889&sprefix=lifetime+siti%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-7

We also have a big assed long metal canoe (14'???) that a family member gave us.  We tried it ONCE and my wife realized that being stuck in a canoe with me was not for her.  She wants to control her own boat.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Nice.

The dude in the white truck doesn't know how to park between the lines :whistle:

The dude in the white truck had to pee something fierce.  We were dropping one truck at the take out area and bringing one truck back to the put in area.  He backed in really quick to jog across the parking lot to pee before he prematurely wetted his swim trunks.  That parking lot was not designed for manly trucks.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Where are the life vests?  After meeting @Zephyr, I would wear one.

My brother wears one all the time in his kayak. Even when we are not on that communist lake that says you must wear it. When we did our river trip last week it was so shallow we kept scraping bottom. He says there is no place to stow it so he just wears it. He looks silly in it.

038397E2-EC9D-4EA1-B702-9DBAE29A21FB.jpeg.26366d16bea4beebc3a030ee5e075351.jpeg

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

It is a cheap way to get out on the water.  I really enjoy it.  

We luckily have friends nearby who live on a lake and have a pair of SUPs and a pair of kayaks.  We get to use them when we want to get out on the water, and it is always fun.  And cheap :D but really, if I had a bit more storage, I'd buy a kayak or two.

• Heart 1

The water cop that was giving me a hard time about my PFD said I should wear it in case I have a heart attack and fall out of the kayak. That way they can find the body easier. I said first off if I have a heart attack I’m not going to fall out of the kayak and secondly if I did after a couple days I would float to the surface. He said as warm as the water is right now you have a point.

• Heart 4

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

The water cop that was giving me a hard time about my PFD said I should wear it in case I have a heart attack and fall out of the kayak. That way they can find the body easier. I said first off if I have a heart attack I’m not going to fall out of the kayak and secondly if I did after a couple days I would float to the surface. He said as warm as the water is right now you have a point.

OMG, it is a VERY good thing I wasn't there. We'd both be in jail. 🙈

• Haha 3

The first time they harassed me about a PFD was probably 15 years ago my wife was with me also not wearing her PFD so the fine was double. It was a good thing my wife was with me or I might still be in jail. Maybe not if they never found the bodies. $140 fine. You can do a lot of damage with a canoe paddle. Especially if you catch them in the neck.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

17 minutes ago, smudge said:

OMG, it is a VERY good thing I wasn't there. We'd both be in jail. 🙈

You two are NUTTERS.  I, too, don't wear a life jacket when on the lake on a kayak, canoe, SUP, etc (I do on a whitewater raft)  BUT... 

1) it sucks being a cop/fireman/lifeguard/crossing guard/etc. when you have to enforce rules UNIFORMLY so that they can be followed fairly

and

2) it only takes seeing one dead kid or "innocent" person who drowned unnecessarily because they didn't wear a life jacket when they should have to make most cops or lifeguards pretty "sold" on making sure folks are being properly - not excessively - cautious.  

I generally am with someone else when on the water, so many circumstances are covered by having each other as our own life guards, but I think it is probably hard for a cop or water patrol to know who has a "buddy", who can swim, and how to pick who should wear the life jacket and who is likely fine.

The Coast Guard patrols some of the river around here, and while I have no idea what they would enforce if they saw me out in their area of patrol, I don't think it would necessarily be too oppressive in nature. Probably a review of life jackets for each person, but not necessarily that we were all wearing them. :dontknow:  We're not babies, so we should make our own reasonable decisions on things like life jackets, but I can't get too irritated that the folks dealing with the ugly side of drownings are pushing life jackets.

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

My brother wears one all the time in his kayak. Even when we are not on that communist lake that says you must wear it. When we did our river trip last week it was so shallow we kept scraping bottom. He says there is no place to stow it so he just wears it. He looks silly in it.

038397E2-EC9D-4EA1-B702-9DBAE29A21FB.jpeg.26366d16bea4beebc3a030ee5e075351.jpeg

He looks safe

• Haha 1