Do you get a lot of tourist in your area

BR46

They come for the Stampede each summer.

I think our city is more of a 1 day stopover when they get off at our airport (it is an international airport but not with the same volume of traffic as Vancouver or Toronto) before they hit the Rocky Mountains 100 km. west.  The CAnadian Rocky Mountains is 1 of CAnada's top places that attract international tourists, as well as Canadians.  It is part of Canada's "brand" globally. The adventures are endless except for soggy spring in the woods.

Until covid, young folks from other provinces and other countries (Australia, Germany, U.K. N.Z.) would come and work here in the tourism seasons because they wanted to take advantage of the great outdoors during off-work hrs. Locals end up talking to these folks,....

In my biased opinion, there's alot more to do and see for tourists in Vancouver and Toronto...where I've also lived for a number of years.

• Heart 1

It's the Yoop. Yes.

The really good thing about living here is I'm going the opposite direction on the Mackinac Bridge as 90% of the other people! I'm going downstate to visit DoSmudge1 when all the flatlanders are driving north. The lineup on that side of the bridge is nasty. But I'm cruisin' along heading to GR.

33 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Yep.  When Dallas the TV show was on the air I went to high school with the family that owned the ranch. We would constantly get people stopping where I worked to ask directions to South Fork. Sometimes we gave good directions sometimes we didn’t

When I interviewed for my job in Lewisville...they offered to take me to see Southfork..I must have gotten a blank look on my face..cos someone had to explain it was the Ranch from Dallas...at that point..the drive to Southfork was cancelled.

This is no lie, some tourists from  Brazil came to the bike trail we frequent  hoping to meet me and Gina. 

Strangely, I had just built my Madone and posted pics. As we crossed paths,  the guy shouted BEANZ! 

Stopped to talk to the guy, he recognized my bike from the pics.  We had no idea he was coming so it was pretty cool.  😄

Correction: It was  Brazil  Marianna and Rodrigo.

Maiden voyage on my  Madone back in 2011. 

Dude must have a sharp eye to recognize the bike. 

102911h.jpg

• Heart 4

I don't mind tourists as long as they don't litter ...and then cars... in certain areas.

I recognize they can be good for the local economy. This became obvious during covid...for places that needed steady stream of tourists, to remain solvent.  In all honesty when I lived in Toronto, Vancouver my thought wasn't ie. damn tourists. It really wasn't......and I lived near heavily used bike-ped paths at various times of year. And shopped in areas where there were both tourists and locals packing.

If we think it's really bad....go to Barcelona, Spain down La Ramblas...just a ton of tourists along the main walking throughfare, etc.  Constant throughout the day, every day. :wacko:  Same for Kyoto. Both cities are charging tourist tax because they need to keep on top of their infrastructure.

If I get tourist in my area, they’re lost. I point them to Disney, Universal and I-Drive. Locals know where to hide and tourist need to stay on their side of the line. There is a reason there are no bike paths through the tourist areas…keep them there.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

If I get tourist in my area, they’re lost. I point them to Disney, Universal and I-Drive. Locals know where to hide and tourist need to stay on their side of the line. There is a reason there are no bike paths through the tourist areas…keep them there.

I understand that.  In the year that I was there in Orlando I never went into the theme park quadrant.  After, when I took my wife back for a vacation I drove her down I-drive just to see what it was like down there.  We never looked back.  There's a lot of interesting stuff in and around Orlando that the tourists never go to see.  That's a shame because it's one of the better cities in the US IMO.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

There's a lot of interesting stuff in and around Orlando that the tourists never go to see.  That's a shame because it's one of the better cities in the US IMO.

Reminds me of watching the Citrus Bowl parade through downtown Winter Park (a quaint upscale shopping and dining area along the brick streets of Park Avenue). Michigan State was playing somebody, but overheard some people from Michigan remarking...Whoa, never knew anything like this existed in Orlando. It, along with some other places like Wekiva Springs, are our well kept secrets. Then if we want to do something, like a performance at Cirque du Soleil, we can venture over to the dark side.

14 hours ago, shootingstar said:

In my biased opinion, there's alot more to do and see for tourists in Vancouver and Toronto...where I've also lived for a number of years

Glaciers, though. Not a lot of glaciers to see (and walk upon) except in the Columbia Icefield. 

3 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Yes for surrounding areas like Philly and the Jersey shore, but we are drive-by country. Like flyover country, not like in gangland style drive-by shootings. 

For now.  It's soon going to be wine country - just about the time Napa becomes a desert.  And the dinosaur museum will be a destination spot.

I'm thinking of buying one of those Trolley buses and starting a "Dino and Wino" Tour.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

31 minutes ago, 12string said:

For now.  It's soon going to be wine country - just about the time Napa becomes a desert.  And the dinosaur museum will be a destination spot.

I'm thinking of buying one of those Trolley buses and starting a "Dino and Wino" Tour.

Ooh, Goode Pointe!  I forgot how {#%£>£* crowded Heritage always is!  And Bonesaw. Ahspose we are sort of a Drinker’s Paradise!

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Ooh, Goode Pointe!  I forgot how {#%£>£* crowded Heritage always is!  And Bonesaw. Ahspose we are sort of a Drinker’s Paradise!

White Horse Winery is improving rapidly, Eight & Sand is even better than Bonesaw, Chimney is awesome,.... the list goes on, people will be paying top dollar your your spare room Air BnB!

And  side trips to Hightstown for Working Dog wines, @TrentonMakes can run that part of the tour.  They'll have to start digging for dinosaurs if they want to keep up. 

19 hours ago, shootingstar said:

In my biased opinion, there's alot more to do and see for tourists in Vancouver and Toronto...where I've also lived for a number of years.

I enjoyed Jasper more than Toronto or Vancouver. Both are nice cities, but Jasper and Banff are phenomenal.  

1 hour ago, 12string said:

And  side trips to Hightstown for Working Dog wines, @TrentonMakes can run that part of the tour.  They'll have to start digging for dinosaurs if they want to keep up. 

never heard of them... my wife is the wine drinker in the house but she doesn't aspire to visit wineries (the way I seek out brew pubs).  

Tourists aren't coming to my town (Ewing) nor Trenton proper... we're about 3 miles from Washington Crossing and that sees some level of tourism, though I don't expect people are really coming to NJ just to see that.  More likely people who are in Philly for a week and looking for day trips.  There really isn't a whole lot there (except when they reenact the river crossing, which is cool).

2 hours ago, 12string said:

White Horse Winery is improving rapidly, Eight & Sand is even better than Bonesaw, Chimney is awesome,.... the list goes on, people will be paying top dollar your your spare room Air BnB!

I like Axe and  Arrow also.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, TrentonMakes said:

my wife is the wine drinker in the house but she doesn't aspire to visit wineries

The women on the dating sites seem to list visiting wineries as their favorite thing to do. I guess we know who is drinking all that wine. I never had a clue, well maybe one clue, Petite.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, TrentonMakes said:

never heard of them... my wife is the wine drinker in the house but she doesn't aspire to visit wineries (the way I seek out brew pubs).  

Tourists aren't coming to my town (Ewing) nor Trenton proper... we're about 3 miles from Washington Crossing and that sees some level of tourism, though I don't expect people are really coming to NJ just to see that.  More likely people who are in Philly for a week and looking for day trips.  There really isn't a whole lot there (except when they reenact the river crossing, which is cool).

You should visit, they're not far from you.  Very good, and you can only get their wines at the winery or restaurants.  A nice venue, they often have live music.

• Heart 1

We live about 9 miles from Starved Rock State Park, Matthiessen State Park, Buffalo Rock State Park and about 1 mile from the Illinois River, that gets used a lot in the summer.

Starved Rock State Park by itself get about 2.5 million visitors each year.   The last few years (even with the virus) the state parks have been very busy.   We used to go to the Starved Rock Lodge for dinner on Friday nights from time to time.   Now we don't go there between Friday night and late Sunday afternoon.   It's just too busy.  

We do have LOTS of great restaurants in the area because of all the visitors. 

One Sunday... we were having a lunch outside at a local brew pub The Lone Buffalo.   A rad Ferrari parks close to us.   I explain to WoBG... you don't see many those on the streets.   About 3 minutes later... I was confirmed to be 100% wrong.  :( About 12 more Ferraris drove down the road and started parking. :scratchhead:   When we were done with lunch and were walking back to our car.   I noticed one of the Ferrari owners walking towards us.  I asked him where the car club was from?  He told me they were on they way back to one of the northern Chicago suburbs after an overnight trip to Peoria.  I ask him can I join the club?  He asks me, Do you have a Ferrari?  I tell him.  No, but my car is kind of wedge shaped... a 2016 Prius, so can I join?   He laughs...  Ummm... no.  :D 

• Haha 1

I had to drop off some parts in Elkhart lake this afternoon and WoW....cars and motorhomes driving way under the speed limit, in the wrong lane to make the turn searching for a address. 

I drove past Road America and the traffic was nuts with people trying to pull in the wrong gates and so on. 

It's IMSA weekend 

2 hours ago, BR46 said:

I had to drop off some parts in Elkhart lake this afternoon and WoW....cars and motorhomes driving way under the speed limit, in the wrong lane to make the turn searching for a address. 

I drove past Road America and the traffic was nuts with people trying to pull in the wrong gates and so on. 

It's IMSA weekend 

We call that everyday in Jackson. I watched a tour bus attempt a u-turn on a two lane hwy in GTNP recently. It wasn't pretty. 

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, dinneR said:

I watched a tour bus attempt a u-turn on a two lane hwy in GTNP recently. It wasn't pretty.

Those tour bus drivers are don't care about traffic or traffic laws and regulations.  They do whatever they want.

• Sad 1