8 cents overnight

jsharr

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I haven't bought any gas in about two months.  Still have about a third of a tank.  Probably time to fill up.

I use about a gallon a day on my commute so there’s 5 gallons and I’m making at least one trip a week to East Texas right now it seems 200 miles round-trip there’s another 6 gallons or so

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I use about a gallon a day on my commute so there’s 5 gallons and I’m making at least one trip a week to East Texas right now it seems 200 miles round-trip there’s another 6 gallons or so

Before I retired, my daily commute was 60 miles round trip, or about 3 gallons a day.  I would hate to pay for that commute at today's prices.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Filled up my car with gas yesterday.  Paid $3.43 per gallon.  Today gas is $3.35 at the same station.  The tanker truck was there while I was filling up so I guess I got the last of the expensive gas.

I always wondered how 24/7/365 stations work when they adjust their prices for gas.  

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Before I retired, my daily commute was 60 miles round trip, or about 3 gallons a day.  I would hate to pay for that commute at today's prices.

Did your old tires cause your gas mileage to go up?  How much did it drop with the new tires?

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

I look at the percentage change, as a rule. People are shocked by how much gas prices change at any given moment but if you look at the percentage change, it's a whole different picture. 

You're a "detail" guy.  Most folks are "feelings" oriented.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Filled up my car with gas yesterday.  Paid $3.43 per gallon.  Today gas is $3.35 at the same station.  

wow.  I think the station outside our neighborhood is still $4.25. 

We had another $70+ fillup of the minivan on vacation in NY last week (though to be fair, I'd run it down to fumes).

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I haven't bought any gas in years!  One day I will get fleeced again, but for now I am just happy to get from point to point.

You buy it all the time.  What do you think subways and trains and buses and ubers run on?  

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

My point was everything runs on something. 

And...we can rate those "things" on a sliding scale of "largest impact (good or bad)" and "least impact (good or bad)".  It sure would seem moranic to treat all sources equally when clearly they have differing costs.

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And...we can rate those "things" on a sliding scale of "largest impact (good or bad)" and "least impact (good or bad)".  It sure would seem moranic to treat all sources equally when clearly they have differing costs.

I cannot hear you over the rumbling exhaust of my monster truck....  Could you type louder? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I cannot hear you over the rumbling exhaust of my monster truck....  Could you type louder? 

I'll wait five minutes until you burn through your weekly allowance for gas :)  It'll be quiet soon.

Oh, park on a hill, so you can coast to your driveway.

I last got gas on 7/18 - all the shed-work days limited my driving and I still have half a 10.6 gallon tank.

Then I paid $4.189 at Costco and it was $4.299 elsewhere nearby.

Now, according to gasbuddy.com, it's $3.699 at that Costco and $3.89 to $3.94 elsewhere nearby.

Costco is 3.5 miles from my house vs 1 mile for a Sunoco station I like.  Since a fill-up for me is usually about 7.5 gallons, 20 cents/gal. cheaper is $1.50 in savings, but it means driving 2.5 x 2 miles, stop-and-go through 10 red lights each way, farther out-and-back and that's 5 miles/(25 miles/gal) = 1/5 gal. x $3.699/gal = $0.74, so I'd save $1.50 - $0.74 = 76 cents - if I don't have to sit in line for 10 minutes burning gas while waiting for a pump to become available.

So it's usually not worth the drive to me unless I'm going to Costco to shop at a slow time of day.  Fortunately, I often get stuff there and there's not usually much of a line at the pumps around 10 am - 10:30 am on weekdays.

30 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I last got gas on 7/18 - all the shed-work days limited my driving and I still have half a 10.6 gallon tank.

Then I paid $4.189 at Costco and it was $4.299 elsewhere nearby.

Now, according to gasbuddy.com, it's $3.699 at that Costco and $3.89 to $3.94 elsewhere nearby.

Costco is 3.5 miles from my house vs 1 mile for a Sunoco station I like.  Since a fill-up for me is usually about 7.5 gallons, 20 cents/gal. cheaper is $1.50 in savings, but it means driving 2.5 x 2 miles, stop-and-go through 10 red lights each way, farther out-and-back and that's 5 miles/(25 miles/gal) = 1/5 gal. x $3.699/gal = $0.74, so I'd save $1.50 - $0.74 = 76 cents - if I don't have to sit in line for 10 minutes burning gas while waiting for a pump to become available.

So it's usually not worth the drive to me unless I'm going to Costco to shop at a slow time of day.  Fortunately, I often get stuff there and there's not usually much of a line at the pumps around 10 am - 10:30 am on weekdays.

Are you bored?  Or just broke?  Oh yes.  You are a planner.  Nevermind!  :foryou:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

This morning while filling the five gallon can for the motorcycle, I paid $3.79 per for regular. I was using the same premium gas as the mowers (from the same can) in the motorcycle, but found (for whatever reason) the bike seems to prefer and run/sound way better on the 87 octane. :dontknow:

Sadly the two cars we drive the most, prefer premium.

3 minutes ago, team scooter said:

This morning while filling the five gallon can for the motorcycle, I paid $3.79 per for regular. I was using the same premium gas as the mowers (from the same can) in the motorcycle, but found (for whatever reason) the bike seems to prefer and run/sound way better on the 87 octane. :dontknow:

Sadly the two cars we drive the most, prefer premium.

The truck may or may not have a tuner on it, so I have to use premium. :whistle:

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, team scooter said:

The Miata will knock and the CX will lose HP if I run regular in them. :(

:(

While reviewing my replacement options for my wife's car (manual shift required), I'll have to remember to take premium fuel only into account :(  Rats.  I hate paying for premium fuel, so that's a strike against a Miata.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

:(

While reviewing my replacement options for my wife's car (manual shift required), I'll have to remember to take premium fuel only into account :(  Rats.  I hate paying for premium fuel, so that's a strike against a Miata.

Mine is a 2017 with the 155 HP motor out of the Mazda 3s. Check to see if the new, higher HP higher revving models still need/recommend using premium. 

5 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I thought Texans got free gas, as a consolation. 

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Even WITH the oil and the refineries, they can't figure out how to get it for free.  Not the sharpest of the sharp down there.

No state income tax. The pols gotta get the $$s somewhere.