Getting Enough Fats Without Getting Tons Of Carbs Too?

Razors Edge

What are folks tips ad methods for this?

My wife is still doing low carb - which means higher fat & protein - and what happens is protein is super easy to get, but the fats that come with protein are not enough.  Adding non-protein linked fats - like avocados - is good, but only goes so far.  She seems to be running out of good "high fat, medium protein, low carb" ideas.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

39 minutes ago, dinneR said:

I eat a lot of salmon, sardines, mackerel, and anchovies. They are delicious.

Yep - so do we, and they are delicious.

Here's an example of the "problem" though (Protein = 22g, fat only 12g):

71QAQZ1SfgL._SL1259_.jpg

So, we stay upside down on our protein to fat ratios!!!

I can add fat with mayo - especially tuna or sardines, and salmon we'll pair with stuff.  But generally, getting fats is hard since we also get protein at the same time. Or worse, carbs.  

37 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep - so do we, and they are delicious.

Here's an example of the "problem" though (Protein = 22g, fat only 12g):

71QAQZ1SfgL._SL1259_.jpg

So, we stay upside down on our protein to fat ratios!!!

I can add fat with mayo - especially tuna or sardines, and salmon we'll pair with stuff.  But generally, getting fats is hard since we also get protein at the same time. Or worse, carbs.  

can't you supplement with ice cream or tater tots? Tots are nature's perfect food.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, dinneR said:

can't you supplement with ice cream or tater tots? Tots are nature's perfect food.

Don't I wish!

Ice cream is CARB city. Potatoes are CARB city!  Effing carbs in everything!

Butter, mayo, oils, are seemingly the best route, but not the easiest for many situations.  

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Don't I wish!

Ice cream is CARB city. Potatoes are CARB city!  Effing carbs in everything!

Butter, mayo, oils, are seemingly the best route, but not the easiest for many situations.  

I forget the name of the Diet Dr on the YouTube’s but he puts butter in his coffee..

3 hours ago, dinneR said:

What's wrong with carbs. I eat a lot of them.

Carb are evil for diabetics 

I try to avoid hi Carb meals. If I have a high carbohydrate beer I try avoid a high carbohydrate food. 

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Carb are evil for diabetics 

I try to avoid hi Carb meals. If I have a high carbohydrate beer I try avoid a high carbohydrate food. 

Last night we took some of my Dutch family out for prime rib.  I basically had salad, prime rib & beer as my carbs! 

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Last night we took some of my Dutch family out for prime rib.  I basically had salad, prime rib & beer as my carbs! 

I just ate half of a brisket quesadilla and a amber beer 

Wo46 just ate the other half 

• Heart 1
  • Yum 1

20 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Adding EVOO to salads is an easy one.  Nuts but they are calorie dense.   Not so lean proteins like not super lean ground meats.  Edit: eggs with the yolk… 

Good point.  I drizzle EVOO and 1/4 cup of salsa into Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls mid-way while nuking them to keep me regular ever since my nurse-sister recommended it when I was constipated: a permanent cure.  But just one tsp of EVOO adds 40 Cal. to the bowl where 1/4 cup of salsa only adds 20 Cal.

• Heart 1

19 hours ago, dinneR said:

What's wrong with carbs. I eat a lot of them.

As BR46 mentioned those of us with diabetes don’t process carbs well. I’ve had it 13 years, and haven’t had a lot of serious side effects, but need to get my blood sugar into a healthier range. High protein isn’t healthy, so lower carbs, more fats, lots of vegetables and moderate protein is the way. I take 3 meds, but would like to avoid insulin if I can. 

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

21 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

High protein isn’t healthy, so lower carbs, more fats, lots of vegetables and moderate protein is the way.

This true for diabetics and non-diabetics alike.  For non-diabetics, at least, we're fine with carbs BALANCED by fiber.  So, I love ice cream, but rarely is ice cream a good combo of protein, fat, and carbs.  We eat a ton of veggies - so get a mix of carbs with fiber there, but if we're seriously trying to keep the carb content at a lower percentage, and protein is too easy to get & can be bad, it makes finding the sweet spot of low carb (not no carb) medium protein, and medium fat the "goal".  Whether that is 20/30/50 or  10/30/60 or even 5/15/80, it's still the fat that seems tough - especially if in that 70-80% calories from fat range.  Easier when cooking and can use fats to cook. And sure, we rock a lot of EVOO and avocado oil and butter or ghee, but still, that's often cooking things that are higher in protein, so at best, it get's close to the goal.  And we eat a lot of eggs, but while I love them, they aren't an every day meal for me.

• Heart 1

I think the anti-carb craze might be approaching it in the wrong way. I get my carbs from vegetables like broccoli, brussels sprouts, beets, carrots etc. not pasta, pizza, and bread. I might have pasta once a month. I think I've had pizza twice this year. I don't eat fast food.

A typical meal for me is salmon, beets, and a green vegetable, sometimes farro. 

IMG_20220323_201237510.jpg

• Heart 2

On 8/5/2022 at 12:28 PM, Dottles said:

Just order a pizza and problem solved.

Make it a thin crust..it's best with a lovely toppings and a small amount of melted cheese.

In terms of carbs...I need to be careful  in past 15 yrs. now.  As I said in past, I no longer prepare /have white (or even brown)rice which is a very radical change given my upbringing for lst 25 yrs. of life.   I do have rice ...at restaurants 6-8 time annually.  

I can only digest certain pastas in Italian and Asian types on regular basis...both dried and handmade.  

And for breads....only certain types from a local bakery. Usually handmade and lighter in texture... Otherwise, if it's wrong/high volume of certain breads, pastas, I seem to tilt into a sugar coma..

I don't spend much time thinking /finding "good" fats.  It seems quite technical approach to meal planning to me. I do avoid trans fats and probably do, because I so seldom eat processed foods at home. I use sunflower oil.. Olive oil is just not good flavour for...Asian dishes.

I last had some potato chips probably a yr. ago. My go-to is vending machine popcorn with very little fake butter. Myself (and dearie) never bought potato chips for home. It just wasn't our tendency at all.

I guess in a vague way my meal combos are very much a blend of Western-Chinese medicine planning... meaning meal, especially dinner or similar each day, needs to be balanced in fibre, nutrition, taste, even "heat"/spiciness. Meaning if the whole meal is very spicy, it's not a great thing for the body unless you balance that out with fruit /other things to neutralize.

On 8/5/2022 at 9:02 AM, Razors Edge said:

What are folks tips ad methods for this?

My wife is still doing low carb - which means higher fat & protein - and what happens is protein is super easy to get, but the fats that come with protein are not enough.  Adding non-protein linked fats - like avocados - is good, but only goes so far.  She seems to be running out of good "high fat, medium protein, low carb" ideas.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Beans for instance has a certain amount of good carb.  Has she been on this type of diet kick for a long time?  Does she feel better overall with this approach?

It would kill my enjoyment of meal preparation and eating, to think good (or bad) fat, carb vs. protein.  I tend to go by looking at the food itself:  if it has visible trans fat, it's small intake/cut it off or just no interest. I better eat my avocado ...it's been 1 wk.  

Do you have eggs for dinner?  That's one way to look at it....a nice frittata for dinner or scrambled eggs with ie. some veggie, even shrimp or ham, etc. with brown rice on the side. I only eat eggs for brunch/breakfast at restaurants.  I find eggs too filling to prep at home for breakfast. I view eggs more as a dinner ingredient where can do all sorts of great things...

Remember.... it is the European tradition, where people often may have eggs for breakfast/brunch. Other cultures have egg dish for lunch or dinner.

20 hours ago, dinneR said:

I think the anti-carb craze might be approaching it in the wrong way.

Don't think of it as "anti-carb" or "no carb", but rather low carb or "carb balanced".  Your plate of salmon is fairly close to a low-carb/low-fat/high protein meal, but depending on the way you cooked them (butters and oils), you may be tending low-carb/med-fat/med-protein when the numbers are crunched.   That's a good start, and you seem to be aligned with the low carb (naming pasta and pizza as "rare") concept.  

I've always been an eat what I want sort of person, so it is interesting to me to work with my wife as she digs through adapting her diet to her goals.  It is a bit of an adventure.

• Hugs 1

50 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

interesting to me to work with my wife as she digs through adapting her diet to her goals.  It is a bit of an adventure

For me it started when I was diagnosed with diabetes and a A1c of 10.6

Controlling the amounts of carbs and dally workouts and Wo46 pushing me I've been able to get my A1c to 5.9. Now I'm on one pill a day for diabetes and hope to keep it that way. 

• Heart 1

22 hours ago, dinneR said:

I think the anti-carb craze might be approaching it in the wrong way. I get my carbs from vegetables like broccoli, brussels sprouts, beets, carrots etc. not pasta, pizza, and bread. I might have pasta once a month. I think I've had pizza twice this year. I don't eat fast food.

A typical meal for me is salmon, beets, and a green vegetable, sometimes farro. 

IMG_20220323_201237510.jpg

You pretty much live the lifestyle that diabetics should follow.  You are active  and eat well.  That plate also shows good portion control.   If more people ate like you and were as active diabetes wouldn’t be such a problem.

• Heart 2

23 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Don't think of it as "anti-carb" or "no carb", but rather low carb or "carb balanced".  Your plate of salmon is fairly close to a low-carb/low-fat/high protein meal, but depending on the way you cooked them (butters and oils), you may be tending low-carb/med-fat/med-protein when the numbers are crunched.   That's a good start, and you seem to be aligned with the low carb (naming pasta and pizza as "rare") concept.  

I've always been an eat what I want sort of person, so it is interesting to me to work with my wife as she digs through adapting her diet to her goals.  It is a bit of an adventure.

Thanks for the advice.

• Haha 1