Greetings from Puerto Penasco!

groupw

Awesome. We're planning to be out near there early next year.  I've never been to that side of Mexico, and the Gulf of California looks cool to me.  

I was watching a show a few days ago on the Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara area with a stop in Tequila.  It was pretty neat.  A bunch farther south than where you are, but still makes me think that area is worth a look overall.

• Like 1

We appear to be in the old, original buildings on the beach. There are more modern hotels to the east and west ends of this beach area. I’m not sure how old they are. The old and new are all jumbled together. 
The place next door had $6 margaritas with our lunch/supper. We are going to the tequila distillery later this morning so we will see how cheap things really are. They take dollars and pesos and I have a feeling there might be a little padding in the exchange rate. That’s fair. 
The first band was really good! The 2nd needs more practice. They weren’t confident. Things close up quickly at sunset on this part, but one accordion/guitar duo that stayed was good to listen to. 

• Like 2

So Google maps is interesting here. At one point it sent me through a very sketchy neighborhood, then had me turn onto a washboard gravel street. I could see a paved road a block away that Maps said I was going to turn towards anyway. I went to the paved road. Damn Google made me circle around the block to the gravel road, turn where it wanted me to, THEN took me onto the paved road! It was fine after that, but still…

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, groupw said:

So Google maps is interesting here. At one point it sent me through a very sketchy neighborhood, then had me turn onto a washboard gravel street. I could see a paved road a block away that Maps said I was going to turn towards anyway. I went to the paved road. Damn Google made me circle around the block to the gravel road, turn where it wanted me to, THEN took me onto the paved road! It was fine after that, but still…

Did you drive or fly there?  

I guess even Google starts to be a bit more confused the farther away from the US?  Maybe they're not as popular down there, so the data they use and track from all our phones up here is less accurate down there.

I drove. Border crossing was uneventful. Just had to look at that damned wall for a while. There is a long stretch with no signal until we got close to town. I’m guessing Google hasn’t had their cars down here much. 

• Like 1

Looks like fun.  My nephew, baby, and girlfriend are in Phoenix.  Maybe a visit there in another year or so can be combined with Puerto Peñasco, a "213 mile, 3 hr 42 min drive."

Is the drive from Phoenix to Puerto Peñasco safe?

Is it safe to drive to Rocky Point Mexico from Phoenix? Yes, we recommend you drive during the day and use the Lukeville/Sonoyta border crossing. The stretch of highway just past the border to Puerto Peñasco was designated as a “safety corridor” in 2016.

Puerto Penasco is a very safe town and walking around the Malecon at night is fine however we don’t recommend you walk around other areas at night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Looks like fun.  My nephew, baby, and girlfriend are in Phoenix.  Maybe a visit there in another year or so can be combined with Puerto Peñasco, a "213 mile, 3 hr 42 min drive."

Is the drive from Phoenix to Puerto Peñasco safe?

Is it safe to drive to Rocky Point Mexico from Phoenix? Yes, we recommend you drive during the day and use the Lukeville/Sonoyta border crossing. The stretch of highway just past the border to Puerto Peñasco was designated as a “safety corridor” in 2016.

Puerto Penasco is a very safe town and walking around the Malecon at night is fine however we don’t recommend you walk around other areas at night.

I had no problems with the drive. I got passsed a lot because a couple different people said respect the speed limits. Odds are you won’t get stopped, but if you do, it can be an expensive hassle. Daytime walking is just fine, I agree, I wouldn’t walk too far from our room at night. We spent the morning at the Tequila Factory and walking downtown. Spent money on silly souvenirs, but you can tell the locals work hard for it!

Really enjoyed our lunch at Mary’s Seafood!

• Like 2

Just some photos from the beach yesterday afternoon. We did touristy things downtown when we ate lunch, then ate dinner in a tiki place a few blocks from the B&B. 
We were warned that people like to party until late in the parking area near our placeI was fine with it most of the night. However, I had to use the bathroom about 5:30. There was someone playing their car stereo outside audible, but not disturbing. Then some goon came through with a boom stereo blasting club music. It was only a couple minutes but it inspired the car stereo guys to turn theirs up to maximum distortion for the next 45 minutes before they finally called it a night!

We got some chorizo and eggs at the place next door. Delicious! The rice and beans? Meh. Grabbed a couple coffees from Coffee Point on our way out of town. 
We must not look suspicious enough at the border. That waved us through both ways with only a quick scan of our passports on the way back in. 
Overall it was a good time. We will go back again. 

• Like 1