Haddock was the fresh, wild caught choice of the fishmonger

Airehead

Just now, Wilbur said:

It is one of those fish that needs added texture so most often it is breaded or breaded with parmesan then baked.  The Brits love it for fish and chips because it really lends itself to the cooking style. 

I don’t cook a lot of white fish so was looking at recipes and yeah they are all breaded or fried.

• Heart 1

I love haddock!  If you bake it or nuke it a little too much, it doesn't turn rubbery.

My gourmet haddock dish comes from an online recipe I found years ago. You simply bake it at 400°F with a little salt, pepper, and lime/lemon juice for about 15 min or so until it is closing in on the desired 145°F internal temperature, then coat it with "Fondue Sauce and Crab" where I subbed haddock for tilapia in this online recipe.  The crab is optional.

Basically, you're making a cheese sauce as you would for mac & cheese, broccoli and cheese, etc. by making a roux with flour and butter/margarine, adding milk to make a Bechamel aka White Sauce, then adding shredded cheddar or a soft cheese like brie.  I don't bother with the wine or ginger in the recipe, but do use the paprika. I find about 1-2 tsp of regular brown mustard kicks it up a notch.

The online recipe bakes the fish and sauce topping for 25-30 min. For me, 20 min. is enough to reach 145°F internal filet temp.  The sauce is best heaped on the fish filets at least 1/4" high ONLY during the last 5 minutes of baking, but it can be added after cooking.

Here are pictures from the online recipe link.  The first is about what you get if you apply the sauce for the last 5-10 min. of baking. The 2nd picture below is what you get if you put the sauce on at the start of baking.  It's too dry and unappetizing looking for me.

image.png.3277f06a88d2f0d1b322149b1026eb3a.png

image.png.e0fcaece108b251ca501d5b9bb233b5a.png

• Heart 2