sauerkraut

Digital_photog

11 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

6 large heads of cabbage, salt. 5 gallon crock.  Slice the cabbage thin into the crock.  Use a wood stomper to mash the cabbage and salt till it is covered with juice.  put a plate that fits in the crock on top then weight it down and let set for 6 to 8 weeks.  You will then have better kraut than you can buy in any store.   Crock is only 2 thirds full.  We should have had 8 or 9 heads to make a full crock.

Maybe add a leftover white wine later.  :) 

Your kraut sounds good @Digital_photog! I'd love to try it someday. I am attempting my furst sauerkraut. My neighbor makes it and gave me some. Last Sunday I sliced up a head of cabbage and salted it, let it sit for an hour. Packed a quart mason jar and a pint jar with a wood pounder but I never got the liquid I was expecting. I used vacuum lids and pumped the air out. It's looking good, but still no liquid crown on the cabbage. The jars are in the basement and look ok. I will check on them next week.

11 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Leftover white wine? :dontknow: Now there is a contradiction in terms. Not gonna happen!

Well, there are some sauerkraut that uses white wine....so says the jar label.

Dearie's mom didn't bother to make their own sauerkraut. Instead they looked for jar brands....that didn't use sugar. 

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Well, there are some sauerkraut that uses white wine....so says the jar label.

Didn't say it was "leftover". The proper way is buy some white wine, a dash of white wine in the sauerkraut, then you have the remainder of the bottle for yourself. See, no leftovers and you are feeling pretty good about it. :D

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

15 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Your kraut sounds good @Digital_photog! I'd love to try it someday. I am attempting my furst sauerkraut. My neighbor makes it and gave me some. Last Sunday I sliced up a head of cabbage and salted it, let it sit for an hour. Packed a quart mason jar and a pint jar with a wood pounder but I never got the liquid I was expecting. I used vacuum lids and pumped the air out. It's looking good, but still no liquid crown on the cabbage. The jars are in the basement and look ok. I will check on them next week.

Did you really paddle it or better yet knead it with your hands.

We use to make it...my grandfather and mom..til a friend borrowed the crock and never brought it back...I vague remember a piece with wooden slats that sat in the crock..may have been a wooden piece as well..there was a wooden bat like masher :nodhead: and 3 good sized rocks they used for weight...they canned it when it was done.  Also..you can put whole heads in the mix..cored.

And use the saur-heads for cabbage rolls :nodhead:. Yum.

3 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

6 large heads of cabbage, salt. 5 gallon crock.  Slice the cabbage thin into the crock.  Use a wood stomper to mash the cabbage and salt till it is covered with juice.  put a plate that fits in the crock on top then weight it down and let set for 6 to 8 weeks.  You will then have better kraut than you can buy in any store.   Crock is only 2 thirds full.  We should have had 8 or 9 heads to make a full crock.

I can see myself trying it if I get the time. I love sauerkraut.  My cousin keeps a plastic container of it in her fridge so she can grab a chew of it every once in a while.

We both love refrigerated Silverfloss Sauerkraut that comes in a 2 lb bag.