Alzheimer’s

BuffJim

7 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Even though it’s a nasty disease, my mom (formally diagnosed in February) still remembers people. Were in church today, and she spots someone she knew and said ‘That’s Stewart’. 
Stewart and his wife are from Pittsburgh and popped into church on their way canoeing at Algonquin. 
My parents knew him from his work on a mission organization - my Dad raised the money to build a school in Madagascar working through Stewart’s organization. 
I know it’s likely she will stop recognizing people, and eventually family. But for now I was impressed. 

Sounds like it's important for her visit places with people she knows /feels comfortable. You want her happy..whatever happens.  

• Heart 1

WoBG's mother died from Alzheimer’s.   It took nearly 9 years for the disease to win the battle. :(

My mother died from it in 3 years.  (sad to say... but 3 years was better than suffering for 9)  The day we first noticed...  We were at my nieces wedding.  My sister Sara is sitting at a table, with the rest of our immediate family (mother father, brother, sisters, etc..).  WoBG says something like;  "Sara, Becky looks good in that wedding dress."   My mom says....  "Who is Sara.?"  :(

My dad is still alive... but he is showing signs of dementia.  :(

In 2020 WoBG and I were part of the planning committee for the annual Alzheimer’s walk (it ended up being virtual walk).   

WoBG and I figured our chances are not good at all.    

Alzheimer’s sucks....

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 3

5 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I had a grandfather w/ dementia. I don't know the differences. He would know who we all were, but he'd repeat a question 20 minutes later.

I find myself doing that all too often.  Hopefully it is because I am like Jeff Daniels and just don;t listen. :D

• Heart 2

My brothers wife is beginning to slip 

She is 90, has been incredibly strong and healthy her whole life, but is becoming frail. Last time I was there she seemed to know me, but kept introducing me to my nephews 

My brother had to turn off the breaker to the stove because she would start to cook something and forget about it 

My nephew tells me that she is beginning to talk about the Germans, remembering her childhood during WW2

It is heartbreaking 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

8 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I find myself doing that all too often.  Hopefully it is because I am like Jeff Daniels and just don;t listen. :D

We had to move a crane the other night, it was important that we move it the right direction, and the control wasn’t marked.

I suggested that we bump it before hand to be sure 

I was glad another guy grabbed the control, cause I tend to go the wrong way first, every time 

I’ll fix the damn things, but I’m past operating them 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 2