Rack of Costco pork ribs w/ Tabasco Sriracha sauce

Dottleshead

8 hours ago, groupw said:

Your wife went commando?!? Any pics? :flirtyeyess:
We are expecting a break in the weather this weekend so I plan to smoke some ribs myself! I use a coffee based rub with a lot less flavored salt. I don’t slather sauce. I just set a little on the plate and dip the meat in a bit. 

:needpics:

• Heart 2

8 hours ago, groupw said:

We are expecting a break in the weather this weekend so I plan to smoke some ribs myself! I use a coffee based rub with a lot less flavored salt. I don’t slather sauce. I just set a little on the plate and dip the meat in a bit. 

And, for Dottle's:

:TTIWWP:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dottles said:

First off, I don't eat meat very often -- certainly not beef or pig -- but I made a summer evening exception tonight.  The prepared ribs from Costco were some of the best quality I've had.  Grade A stuff less than a stupid restaurant around here serving up gristle and tendon with salt and tomato based bbq sauce.  I'm not kidding.  3 of the ribs had more meat on them than a half rack sold at some high end restaurant.  So needless to say it was good.  I would have been happy eating them plain but then my wife goes all commando on me and pulls out the new bottle of Tabasco Sriracha sauce and -- oh my.  Forget bbq sauce.  I found my new bit of heaven.

Ok, back to some oatmeal and cauliflower tomorrow.

I've never been disappointed by Costco's meat quality.  Some of it is a lot more expensive than the supermarkets but a lot is cheaper.  They also sell hot rotisserie chicken at a loss, $4.99 for 4+ lbs (though it's listed a 3.5 lb) that's very good.  Their refrigerated stuffed salmon is very good, too.

Costco sells “flat beef brisket” in 6+ lb slabs that is highly-rated by a couple recipes I surveyed.  I balance the brisket on the held-up edge of a cutting board and cut that brisket in half by weight and cook 3 lb of brisket at a time in my recipes below.

The Jewish Brisket I pressure cook in my Instant Pot is adapted from these recipes and it's excellent:

Adapted from these Jewish Brisket Recipes:

Tori Avey - blender the sauce: https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/holiday-brisket/

Katie Workman: https://themom100.com/recipe/jewish-brisket-for-the-holidays/

Saveur: https://www.saveur.com/classic-jewish-brisket-recipe/

Jeffrey Eisner Text: https://pressureluckcooking.com/instant-pot-jewish-brisket/

Jeffrey Eisner Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKPdMqFFYA8

I get the 6 lb slab, balance it on the edge of a cutting board, and cut it half to make two 3 lb slabs, freezing what I not using.

There are also Texas Brisket recipes, including alleged "Meemaw's Texas Brisket" from the "Young Sheldon" TV series where the ingredients never match the ones mentioned incompletely on the show.  The ones I like for pressure cooking were here:

Adapted from these Texas Brisket Recipes:

Chop Secrets - recipe starting point: https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/texas-beef-brisket/

Pressure Cooking Today: https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/smokey-beef-brisket-in-the-pressure-cooker/

• Heart 2

10 hours ago, Dottles said:

I don't eat meat very often -- certainly not beef or pig

Why the hell not?  Seems silly to exclude specific animals, especially if you buy good quality beef or pork.  Both are way better for you than Magic Spoon, at least it seems that way to me.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Wut?  I love to slather, and I love sauce, so there you go.

Dry rubs piss me off.  Much like a pizza is definitely not a pizza without red sauce, ribs of any stripe need bbq sauce (and lots of it) to be bbq ribs.

BBQ sauce is just redneck ketchup.  Dry ribs are far superior.  :) 

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, groupw said:

I want to know why she has to go commando in order to access the hot sauce

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Why the hell not?  Seems silly to exclude specific animals, especially if you buy good quality beef or pork.  Both are way better for you than Magic Spoon, at least it seems that way to me.

If I’m going to smoke ribs for 3 1/2 hours, I want to taste the meat and the smoke. I don’t want the sauce to be the only thing I taste. If that’s what you want, most BBQ places will sell you their sauce and a straw. 

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I've never been disappointed by Costco's meat quality.  Some of it is a lot more expensive than the supermarkets but a lot is cheaper.  They also sell hot rotisserie chicken at a loss, $4.99 for 4+ lbs (though it's listed a 3.5 lb) that's very good.  Their refrigerated stuffed salmon is very good, too.

Costco sells “flat beef brisket” in 6+ lb slabs that is highly-rated by a couple recipes I surveyed.  I balance the brisket on the held-up edge of a cutting board and cut that brisket in half by weight and cook 3 lb of brisket at a time in my recipes below.

The Jewish Brisket I pressure cook in my Instant Pot is adapted from these recipes and it's excellent:

While much of it is "expensive", price at per lb is at the low end. It is the quantity that makes it expensive. While there is little you can do about the extra thick steaks (other than enjoy), I routinely get freezer bags and cut the quantity down to manageable sizes. Classix is 87% fat ground beef (priced like 75% stuff in grocery stores) in around 6 lb quantity. I look for those close to 6 or just over.  With a postal scale and parchment paper covering, I break it down into six 1 lb bags. Have to go to Costco tomorrow as about out of stew beef (tonight's dinner used last one). They are now over 7 lbs, but I cut it down to 1 lb bags. Of course, I can do custom weights as well but far close to what would actually use rather than what the Meat Dept at the grocery store pushed in their single package. No, I don't want 1.5 lbs, just 1 lb!

55 minutes ago, groupw said:

If I’m going to smoke ribs for 3 1/2 hours, I want to taste the meat and the smoke. I don’t want the sauce to be the only thing I taste. If that’s what you want, most BBQ places will sell you their sauce and a straw. 

Ha, WRONG!  Sauce needs to be present or it sucks.  That is the long and short of it.  Honestly, how many times have you gotten bbq out someplace where it is dryer than anything and tough?  BBQ sauce lets you at least moisten it and choke it down.  When it is good bbq, you don't just taste the sauce.

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ha, WRONG!  Sauce needs to be present or it sucks.  That is the long and short of it.  Honestly, how many times have you gotten bbq out someplace where it is dryer than anything and tough?  BBQ sauce lets you at least moisten it and choke it down.  When it is good bbq, you don't just taste the sauce.

Sauce present is correct.  Does not have to be swimming in a vat of sugary goo like a McRib though.

One the side to be used as needed or desired.  Most places in Texas serve sauce and will ask you if you want it on the meat or on side.  Only place I know of without sauce is Kruez Market in Lockhart Texas.  

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1

7 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Heart

Sure, you can eat the heart out of most animals (once they are dead).

I am not buying anything saying that good grass fed cattle is bad for you, or pork is worse than chicken for you.  Some cuts are fattier and some are not, just don't go overboard and you'll be fine.

Just now, Randomguy said:

Sure, you can eat the heart out of most animals (once they are dead).

I am not buying anything saying that good grass fed cattle is bad for you, or pork is worse than chicken for you.  Some cuts are fattier and some are not, just don't go overboard and you'll be fine.

Not you. It’s me. I have 3 stents and pork and beef don’t make most heart centric diets

• Hugs 1

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Probably the chicken, fish, vegetarian, and vegan lobbyists ganged up?  

Sounds like unprovable nonsense to me.

You can think what you want. The burden of proof lies on you to prove otherwise. I just ask once you have done so that you publish the white papers to the medical community… you know the same folks providing the advice on vaccinations you whole heartedly stand behind.

5 hours ago, Randomguy said:

If a place abuses a piece of meat like that, I don’t go back! When I smoke ribs, even without sauce, you will likely have to lick the juice off your elbow! To paraphrase something I heard about perfume- the sauce should enhance the flavor, not announce it. 

Maybe the best comeback I ever heard was in a steakhouse.  The waitress at the table asks the guy next to me, “Do you want any A1 or Heinz 57 steak sauce with that?”.

The guy replies in a forceful voice all of us within earshot heard and understood — and one which I have never forgotten:

”I certainly hope not!”

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, groupw said:

you will likely have to lick the juice off your elbow!

I have never witnessed this be the case, no sauce equals rib jerky 100% of the time.  That is the math, it is unchanging, a law of nature and cooking.  Sauce or suck, no other outcome is even possible.

As far as not going back when you get bad or mediocre bbq, sure, why would you?  That said, at least 50% of the time, bbq restaurants simply don't make decent bbq, so it is a crapshoot at best.  In those cases of bad bbq, while it would feel great to fling the food at the proprietor or on the floor, the reality is that you choke it down or do something deeply antisocial, and sauce is the only way to choke it down.

Good bbq sauce is a treasure, only the deeply disturbed wouldn't use any at all.

48 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Maybe the best comeback I ever heard was in a steakhouse.  The waitress at the table asks the guy next to me, “Do you want any A1 or Heinz 57 steak sauce with that?”.

The guy replies in a forceful voice all of us within earshot heard and understood — and one which I have never forgotten:

”I certainly hope not!”

I don’t order steak at restaurants much. When they ask this, I give them a very concerned look and say “Why? What’s wrong with it?”

22 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have never witnessed this be the case, no sauce equals rib jerky 100% of the time.  That is the math, it is unchanging, a law of nature and cooking.  Sauce or suck, no other outcome is even possible.

As far as not going back when you get bad or mediocre bbq, sure, why would you?  That said, at least 50% of the time, bbq restaurants simply don't make decent bbq, so it is a crapshoot at best.  In those cases of bad bbq, while it would feel great to fling the food at the proprietor or on the floor, the reality is that you choke it down or do something deeply antisocial, and sauce is the only way to choke it down.

Good bbq sauce is a treasure, only the deeply disturbed wouldn't use any at all.

I’m pretty sure there is a disconnect if they are trying to sell ribs in NYC. I normally go by word of mouth on a place. Even then I only have a short list of opinions I trust on BBQ. The better I get at my game, the more I don’t need to go out for it!

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, groupw said:

I’m pretty sure there is a disconnect if they are trying to sell ribs in NYC.

There is not much decent bbq in NYC, this is true.  That said, it is also true everywhere else that I have lived.  Cleveland, Columbus, San Francisco, Chicago, Denver, Boulder, Charlotte, San Diego, Portland, and here.  I have been to pretty much most of the states and most regions, and it holds true there, too; isolated decent places but most suck.  This, despite whatever the local rednecks claim about their local bbq heritage or style.  The most consistent bbq I have had has been in TX, though, and about half that I have had does seem to be actually pretty tasty.

• Awesome 1

10 hours ago, Randomguy said:

There is not much decent bbq in NYC, this is true.  That said, it is also true everywhere else that I have lived.  Cleveland, Columbus, San Francisco, Chicago, Denver, Boulder, Charlotte, San Diego, Portland, and here.  I have been to pretty much most of the states and most regions, and it holds true there, too; isolated decent places but most suck.  This, despite whatever the local rednecks claim about their local bbq heritage or style.  The most consistent bbq I have had has been in TX, though, and about half that I have had does seem to be actually pretty tasty.

Cleveland has a good BBQ spot, Mabel’s. I was there in June. 
Damn Autorotate. 

02FD7395-B089-4850-B2AA-95200E609878.jpeg

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Weird. I feel like BBQ is all over these days.  I can't say I am anywhere near an expert on it, but I'm usually pretty happy with it when I get it in our area.