a van build out should be more fun than having a custom home built

Dirtyhip

5 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Even with us doing the work, it should be more fun.

What have you people been doing?

Welcome back.  I missed seeing you here. I am retired.  I don't work normal farm hours but raise sheep, run sled dogs and am now building another sawmill.  When I am finished putting it together can I cut you some beautiful wood for your van project?  I have oak, ash, hickory, maple, walnut, spruce, hackberry and mulberry logs. The Alaskan mills are too slow to keep up.

• Heart 1

Sounds exciting - hashtag vanlife - keep us updated. The new ones are so expensive. Modeling after any specific floor plan? Solar?

Me? Boredom is driving me crazy. See things to do around home - like cleaning out closet or shampoo the carpet - and can’t do them despite the energy and desire as requires lifting over 8 lbs or raising arm above head. Even hired someone to mow lawn and while I may be a bit of a perfectionist, sloppiest job I have ever seen. By this weekend should have the driving restriction lifted. FREEDOM!

Keep us updated!.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

8 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Same old same old.

But I really want to hear the specs and decision process for the van build-out.  I get immediately overwhelmed with all the variations available on a van build these days, so your perspective on it will be great. And PHOTOS along the way :D

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

Sounds exciting - hashtag vanlife - keep us updated. The new ones are so expensive. Modeling after any specific floor plan? Solar?

Me? Boredom is driving me crazy. See things to do around home - like cleaning out closet or shampoo the carpet - and can’t do them despite the energy and desire as requires lifting over 8 lbs or raising arm above head. Even hired someone to mow lawn and while I may be a bit of a perfectionist, sloppiest job I have ever seen. By this weekend should have the driving restriction lifted. FREEDOM!

Keep us updated!.

We have ideas of he floor plan.  Solar panels on the roof and propane for cooking.  

5 hours ago, Dottles said:

You are becoming a spendthrift!  🤣

Yes.  The playmobile should be about 60 grand.   So strange to build this beautiful house to turn around and run away from it.

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

@Rattlecan may have some good hints. Do you have a plan?  Have you watched a million videos?

Too many already.  One video we laughed so hard.  The people are kind of funny in those.  HEY!  Big fancy van and lots of energy, maybe I could be an influencer.  <much kidding here>

A string of Tibetan prayer flags seems to be a popular decoration for these things.  

2 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

Welcome back.  I missed seeing you here. I am retired.  I don't work normal farm hours but raise sheep, run sled dogs and am now building another sawmill.  When I am finished putting it together can I cut you some beautiful wood for your van project?  I have oak, ash, hickory, maple, walnut, spruce, hackberry and mulberry logs. The Alaskan mills are too slow to keep up.

Sounds great, and thanks..  I am amazed that people make money building them out and selling them.  My partner is an amazing guy, so I can imagine this should come out nice. My friend bought an MB build out for 120 grand.  :o  

I talked to @Philander Seabury about the expense and he gave me the green light to buy it last night.

51 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Have you picked out a river to live by? 

A few.  We plan to be nomadic.  

32 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I can do a magic trick and turn those all into ash.

Nancy decided we were too different and broke up with me when she got back from Spain so I’m back to dating many different women again.

This week I’m dog sitting my granddog Banner. That is a full time job, it reminds me why I don’t have a dog. He is used to living with a family of eight so he gets lots of attention. He follows me around like a little puppy dog.

i have gained back thirty pounds and look and feel much better. All my doctors are pleased and tell me to keep riding.

Sorry about your break up.  

• Heart 4

32 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Same old same old.

But I really want to hear the specs and decision process for the van build-out.  I get immediately overwhelmed with all the variations available on a van build these days, so your perspective on it will be great. And PHOTOS along the way :D

We are leaning towards the RAM 2500.  It is the biggest in it's class. We like the 159"     We decided againt AWD.  This won't be driven much at all in the winter.  The AWD drivetrain is a whole different level of cost.  The most rough driving we do for camp is a gravel road.  I am not concerned about snow with this thing.  

The decision process will likely be far easier than a custom home build.  He built one last night using the web creator for a brand new one.  He picked the exact color I would have chosen.  We think so much alike.  It makes custom stuff less troubleome when you constantly pick the exact same fixtures.  He could be in another room and he will pick the exact thing I would have picked.  The exterior color we like is blue or this sand color.  The blue is snazzy looking.  The sand one will blend in easier.  And there will be zero action stickers on the exterior of this van.  Those will be on the inside of one of the doors.  I don't want the van to scream "MOUNTAINBIKERS!"  

We do love the Rhino coating on the lower part of the van exterior.  It is tough stuff and i look really cool.  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We are leaning towards the RAM 2500.  It is the biggest in it's class. We like the 159"     We decided againt AWD.  This won't be driven much at all in the winter.  The AWD drivetrain is a whole different level of cost.  The most rough driving we do for camp is a gravel road.  I am not concerned about snow with this thing.  

New? Used?

I feel like the new (and used) car/truck/SUV/vehicle market might have peaked and stabilized, but is this something that can be slow-walked a bit to take advantage of other folks over-spending and slowing down while the savers can swoop in and either get vehicles as they again drop below MSRP or even low-mileage repos or other sales?

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

New? Used?

I feel like the new (and used) car/truck/SUV/vehicle market might have peaked and stabilized, but is this something that can be slow-walked a bit to take advantage of other folks over-spending and slowing down while the savers can swoop in and either get vehicles as they again drop below MSRP or even low-mileage repos or other sales?

I am leaning towards brand new, gasoline power.  There isn't much savings for a used one.  To me 40 grand or 50 grand is the same price.  You might as well go new with personal choices for the entire van. because 10 grand is not enough to save for getting something used.  

• Heart 3

44 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

10 grand is not enough to save for getting something used.  

Exactly, someone else's problem can be yours with used, at least you'd have a good warranty on new.

Would AWD bump up the resale substantially?  I would consider it if yes.

49 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, shouldn't this whole massively overpriced car craze slow down by next year?

Yesterday I read about a van lifer that had to raffle off her van as she could not afford gas.  She is now living in a Mazda sedan and has ordered a Tesla that she will be living in.   The fact that she raffled off her van makes her an EX van lifer for the readers amongst us that have not been blessed with the ability to read and reason, like @Razors Edge

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Yesterday I read about a van lifer that had to raffle off her van as she could not afford gas.  She is now living in a Mazda sedan and has ordered a Tesla that she will be living in.   

There is another one with a large YouTube following that spent the past few years traveling the country and camping with her dog in a 2006 Prius - no side tent to assemble at destinations, but living in the Prius. She is shopping to upgrade to a van as the 2006 Prius is requiring costly repairs and is a string along storyline in her adventures.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/quit-van-life-live-in-car-waiting-live-new-tesla-2022-8

here is the story of the van lifer tik toker living in a mazda.  

Uh, they're definitively NOT a "van lifer" if they are living in a Mazda or a Tesla.

Wow, Ram 2500. So not using the metal wall Promaster van that doesn't have the heavy duty frame and suspension of the 2500, but building a full house behind the cab. I see those commercial cab on frame models on dealer's lots as I shop for a 1500, but curious why didn't use the Ford that comes both as cab and cutaway (no back wall on cab). I think those commercial are 3500 (E-350 on Ford) so are you purchasing the 2500 truck and removing the bed?

A camper van isn't running away from your house - it's just letting you explore your other hobbies in comfort and then you get to return home to your dream house.  Sounds like a wonderful combination!  If your house is any indication, I'm sure the camper will be creative, practical and well thought out.

Things are pretty much the same with me.  The summer has been relatively quiet with no big trips this year but planning for more travel next year. 

• Hugs 1

41 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Exactly, someone else's problem can be yours with used, at least you'd have a good warranty on new.

Would AWD bump up the resale substantially?  I would consider it if yes.

Yeah, shouldn't this whole massively overpriced car craze slow down by next year?

Well, I just found a Ford that is AWD about 90 minutes away.  Used, but very low miles.  They probably couldn't afford the gasoline. 

23 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Wow, Ram 2500. So not using the metal wall Promaster van that doesn't have the heavy duty frame and suspension of the 2500, but building a full house behind the cab. I see those commercial cab on frame models on dealer's lots as I shop for a 1500, but curious why didn't use the Ford that comes both as cab and cutaway (no back wall on cab). I think those commercial are 3500 (E-350 on Ford) so are you purchasing the 2500 truck and removing the bed?

The 2500 is a 3/4 ton and the 1500 is a 1/2 ton.  Ram promaster or a ford transit.  We are shying away from the sprinter, because there is no MB dealer locally.

We are just buying a nice van and building it into a camper van.  No bed mods on a truck. 

• Heart 2

37 minutes ago, jsharr said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/quit-van-life-live-in-car-waiting-live-new-tesla-2022-8

here is the story of the ex van lifer, still tik toker living in a mazda.  

We could rent our home to pay for a nomadic lifestyle.  You can buy a lot of gas for the price of rent.  

I hear packages are an issue on the road.  You have to hang out around cities as you wait and sometimes it is delayed or lost.  Fun.

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

We could rent our home to pay for a nomadic lifestyle.  You can buy a lot of gas for the price of rent.  

I hear packages are an issue on the road.  You have to hang out around cities as you wait and sometimes it is delayed or lost.  Fun.

Gas is only needed when you are driving.  Pick a spot, stay there 2 weeks, pick another, repeat.  Really, folks who are burning through gas at $2/gal or $10/gal are doing it by choice to a large extent.

Packages are another thing you could plan around.  There are mail services, and there are also tons of Amazon drop points and UPS Stores around the country.  Tougher would be packages with "loose" delivery dates, but something like Amazon Prime would be easy to send to the nearest drop point.

• Heart 2

38 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

I think she means the Ram ProMaster 2500 high roof van.

• Thank You 1

10 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

So great to hear from you!  What's new?

My neighbor asked me why I didn't just hire someone to assemble my 8' x 10' galvanized steel shed kit and I replied that I needed the exercise and it would be fun!

It was sometimes frustrating when parts didn't match, roof stuff was hard to reach, etc. while out of shape me worked on 10 of 12 very hot, humid days, finishing Sunday.

But I'm very pleased I got it up and it helped me recover from the easily-fatigued problem I had after Covid in early June.

683322309_CompletedShedBuilding-DoorsOpens-20220807_183127.jpg.814cd8acacdccf6106358078a62c5ed4.jpg 1694167573_CompletedShedBuilding-DoorsClosed20220807_183730_900p.jpg.70056365aa859f7537cbb21de588e281.jpg

• Heart 2

45 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I think she means the Ram ProMaster 2500 high roof van.

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

A camper van isn't running away from your house - it's just letting you explore your other hobbies in comfort and then you get to return home to your dream house.  Sounds like a wonderful combination! 

A quick glance at the Ram site didn't see, even on the commercial page, a Promaster on the 2500 chassis or an engine larger than the 6cyl., so assumed was based on the pure truck cab bare chassis. True high vans are intriguing but don't know if can tolerate the wetbath that the limited space forces, plus lack of external access storage.  They are nice though, and very flexible. People make them work. The three choices I am looking at (with prices coming down) are 1500 with trailer up to 26'. 2500/3500 and short 5th wheel (28 to 32'), or a Class B+/C  plus toad. Impressed with the Chevy (and Ram) 1500 with 3.0L diesel that gets better fuel economy unloaded than my current cars - including the Mini I would trade in, and pulling a moderate trailer drops equal to about what a Sprinter van would get.

A side project for your home, tie in a drain near where parking the van to sewer/septic for emptying the tanks. Also consider running a dedicated 30 amp 120 line.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Solar panels on the roof and propane for cooking.

What do you plan to power by solar? I have 4 100 watt panels on the roof of the trailer and two 100 amp hour Lithium batteries and it will keep up with the fridge if it is out in the open all day, but there is no way it would run a heater or air conditioner for very long. If you are planning on having enough power for that, you will have to cover every available square inch of the van in solar panels and then some. 

• Heart 3

But enough about me

Happy to see you again!  This build sounds like a LOT of fun!  Any chance you'll be done in time to make it in the Nomadland sequel?

Aren't the Ram and Sprinter the same vehicle?  Not sure what that means for warranty work.

Consider the Influencer gig.  You don't have to do it full time, that's a lot of work.  But just get videos out on Instagram, tag a few manufacturers and vendors, use the search tags other influencers use. you might be surprised at how many items you need will show up for free.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

Yabbut you farm bitchin ghost peppers. Super excited to try them. Please don’t poison them or me. The heat alone should do it!

No worries about poison, my garden is pretty organic. I picked one, waiting for a few more to ripen. DM me your shipping address. 

19 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Now I get @Dirtyhip saying the Ram 2500  159" is the side she wants.   I found the correct web page. 

https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.ram_promaster.2022.html#/model/CUT202200

Yeah, Ram could’ve used a less confusing nomenclature for pickup trucks and vans. Ram 2500. 

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

What do you plan to power by solar? I have 4 100 watt panels on the roof of the trailer and two 100 amp hour Lithium batteries and it will keep up with the fridge if it is out in the open all day, but there is no way it would run a heater or air conditioner for very long. If you are planning on having enough power for that, you will have to cover every available square inch of the van in solar panels and then some. 

Electronics, and lights.  He is saying we might not need them.  :(  I wanted to have panels to power a bunch of stuff.  It may be unrealistic it seems.