Back to School

Parsnip Totin Jack

32 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Meh - the sooner kids are off the streets and back inside where I don't have to see them, the better!

I would vote for year-round school in a heartbeat.

Your 23&Me test came back with strong lineage to the Scrooge family of London England. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Your 23&Me test came back with strong lineage to the Scrooge family of London England. 

We like to camp, but damned if camping isn't packed with families in the summer.  Send the kids back to school, and campgrounds "open" up :)

And, those little brats make me jealous! Lazing around all day while I sweat it out here posting!

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, dinneR said:

School starts after labor day here.

Yeah, I haven't seen my local kids disappear yet, either, but we had a state rule (maybe even law) that had the post-Labor Day start a requirement.  I think we scrapped it several years ago.  Probably depends a lot on the legal requirement for xyz amount of school days per year, and when the end of year is set.

Where I am, it seems nuts to run a school during the hottest month of the year, when you could wait until a cooler month like Sept and save some $$$ on AC. 

3 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

I’m driving into the office and see school buses on the road. Back to school already? In my county, yes. Summertime is over kids, sucks to be you. I liked when school started after Labor Day. 

Our school system has played with before and after Labor Day school starts.  They're back to the week before labor day now.  I don't know why, because it costs them a lot more to air condition the schools in the last week of August than the 1st or 2nd week in June (depending on how much Winter snow we got).  None of our schools have windows that open to the outside anymore.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

I’m driving into the office and see school buses on the road. Back to school already? In my county, yes. Summertime is over kids, sucks to be you. I liked when school started after Labor Day. 

today was first day of classes here in Plano.  Here are all the first day of school pictures I have taken of my sons over the years.  Youngest son is a senior in high school this year.

• Haha 1

So far, for all my nieces and nephews over the past few decades, it's been school start after Labour Day. (Ontario)

Same here in Alberta. And same for B.C. when I lived there.

I hope they don't change it.  

Rather than begin earlier than Labour DAy...it's when the school year ends.... 2nd last wk. of June or later.,,if people are so fussed about that extra wk.

11 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

We like to camp, but damned if camping isn't packed with families in the summer.  Send the kids back to school, and campgrounds "open" up :)

And, those little brats make me jealous! Lazing around all day while I sweat it out here posting!

And then the school has field trip days. They all load into a school bus and proceed directly to where you are camping. A busload of kids suddenly running all over the place.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tizeye said:

And then the school has field trip days. They all load into a school bus and proceed directly to where you are camping. A busload of kids suddenly running all over the place.

Pre-COVID, working downtown, I'd often stroll the Mall.  During the school year, the buses would be lined up as far as the eye could see on roads like Madison Dr as they waited for all the school kids on their Smithsonian field trips.  The yellow buses for the locals and the coach buses for the out of state folks.  WHAT a ZOO!

For camping, luckily, there are "group sites" in the campground you can avoid. And they're only on the weekends anyway :) 

12 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

No way the teachers union will stand for that

I don't think teachers or teacher unions are against year-round schooling.  They might be against more teaching time and/or course creation time for the SAME pay, though.  To my understanding, a more traditional work year might be nicer for folks like teachers and admins and janitorial staff and bus drivers, as it better matches the normal rhythm the rest of us live.  Or maybe, teachers like their summers "off" (are they really off?) and that's why they became teachers (or part of the school system)?  

That being said, I went to Catholic parochial and private schools in addition to public schools. ALL three had the same essential calendar with a fall break, winter break, spring break and full summer off.  No unions in Catholic schools.

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Pre-COVID, working downtown, I'd often stroll the Mall.  During the school year, the buses would be lined up as far as the eye could see on roads like Madison Dr as they waited for all the school kids on their Smithsonian field trips.  The yellow buses for the locals and the coach buses for the out of state folks.  WHAT a ZOO!

For camping, luckily, there are "group sites" in the campground you can avoid. And they're only on the weekends anyway :) 

While it is not the actual campground, but the supporting area and its trails that the kids invade. I will go to Blue Springs State Park on a photo shoot and the park is very popular with schools with at least 15 bus/RV length pull through parking spots in the general park area. Here I am trying to get some nice nature photos along the elevated walk over the wetlands. Then here come the kids. Clomp, clomp, clomp and talking to each other with the only known volume is "shout'. And there goes that elusive kingfisher I was stalking. Oh wait, I see saw a deer. Grrrrrrrrr! 

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

While it is not the actual campground, but the supporting area and its trails that the kids invade. I will go to Blue Springs State Park on a photo shoot and the park is very popular with schools with at least 15 bus/RV length pull through parking spots in the general park area. Here I am trying to get some nice nature photos along the elevated walk over the wetlands. Then here come the kids. Clomp, clomp, clomp and talking to each other with the only known volume is "shout'. And there goes that elusive kingfisher I was stalking. Oh wait, I see saw a deer. Grrrrrrrrr! 

Shoot the kids!

...with your camera :D

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Shoot the kids!

...with your camera :D

That is the one thing you DON'T do under any circumstance. Parents/chaperones will label you as a perv and will give you hell waiting for security to respond to their reporting you.

• Sad 1