Do you have a strong following for a pro team not in your region?

ChrisL

I find it odd that the Raiders have a strong following in LA even though they left in the early 90’s.  Their preseason games are being telecast on a local network that has a tagline, LA’s home for Raider football.  The Rams have a preseason network deal it I don’t believe the Chargers  have a preseason network deal…

I have never seen this before, especially in a region with two NFL teams.  

Yes, many teams have strong followings in this area. Mostly because a lot of people here are from some else. One of the oldest, like @jsharr said, is the Cowboys. George Preston Marshall, brought the Redskins to DC from Boston. A supporter of racial segregation, Marshall was the last NFL owner to integrate his team. This didn’t sit well with many residents of DC, who were mostly black. Many adopted the rival team from Texas when that team was added to the league in 1960 as Marshall opposed adding the Cowboys as he saw them as revenue competitors. Many Redskins fans jumped bandwagons when the Cleveland Browns decamped to Baltimore and became the Ravens as the owner, Dan “little Napoleon” Snyder, aggravated many with his stupid antics. 

• Heart 1

No, but I did when I 8 9  years old. Someone asked me who I favored in the 1964 1965 World Series and I said the Minnesota Twins because I was a contrarian at a young age. :D Later I got to see Harmon Killebrew pop one over the fence at metropolitan stadium against the Indians Cleveland baseball team. :)  

• Heart 1

My first MLB game was at Wrigley with a few die hard fans.  I followed Schwarber at IU (since I am a Hoosier fan) on that awesome run that they had to the college world series.  So I naturally followed him on that Cubs team that won the world series and became somewhat of a Cubs fan since I had seen a game at historic Wrigley as my first and followed Kyle when he ended up there.  Call me a bandwagon fan...whatever.  

When I was really young I really liked John Elway for some reason.  I started to follow Denver because of this.  Not really a Denver fan to speak of, but an Elway fan.  I was more of a Colts fan.  When Peyton went to Denver I was again in the same place as following a Denver QB but not really loving the team.  I still kinda pull for them even though both of my fav QB's are long retired, but I am really more of a Colts fan. 

My Granddad Griffin (ever wonder where my son's name came from?) came from Alabama.  He graduated from Bama.  He instilled a love for Bama football into us from an early age.  I have always loved all sports Bama since him.  Montana Fouts is one of, if not THE best softball pitcher in the game right now.  She goes to Alabama.  For obvious reasons I LOVE Alabama softball.  So they are not "pro" but certainly a high level sports team out of my region. 

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

No, but I did when I was 8 years old. Someone asked me who I favored in the 1964 World Series and I said the Minnesota Twins because I was a contrarian at a young age. :D Later I got to see Harmon Killebrew pop one over the fence at metropolitan stadium against the Indians Cleveland baseball team. :)  

I was a Twins fan at that same time.  

• Haha 1

I don't think so, in this general area.  We're around the dividing line between New York teams and Philadelphia teams (even though Philadelphia is much closer to Trenton).

Personally, I still follow the Patriots, though I understand I'm missing out on things like watching the game in a crowded bar with like-minded fans... must be a fun experience.

When I worked nights in the data center I started streaming Australian Football games. I became a bit of an Adelaide Crows fan. They were kind of the black sheep of the league at the time. They were a lot of fun to watch because they made an already brutal game even more crazy. 

I'm not even a really strong follower of any of the teams in my area.   I'd likely root for them over some others just because the city can be fun when one of the teams is doing well. It makes the people who really care happy and we may have some sort of watch party at work with free refreshments (back in the day with big social gatherings),