Please don't go 152 mph

Road Runner
Go to solution Solved by Ralphie,

Someone might get hurt.  Virginia State Police.

Driver caught going 152 mph on I-64 in Norfolk

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — The Virginia State Police are reminding motorists to slow down after one driver was caught going nearly triple the speed limit on I-64 in Norfolk over the weekend.

According to a social media post from state police, a trooper cited a driver in Norfolk for going 152 mph in a posted 55 mph on I-64.

State police say traffic crashes across Virginia have claimed 515 lives since January.  Excessive speed has been the common cause of the fatal crashes, officials say.

Times have changed.  When I lived there the VA Beach police and I conspired to make a 150+ mph run on the VA Beach expressway one night in the Daytona.  No other cars or traffic were involved as that section of the highway was unofficially closed for a few minutes in the wee hours of the morning.  There was no traffic anyway, but preparations included a police car on the only on ramp in my path.

We were all gearheads back then.

The state police however had no sense of humor whatsoever.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Times have changed.  When I lived there the VA Beach police and I conspired to make a 150+ mph run on the VA Beach expressway one night in the Daytona.  No other cars or traffic were involved as that section of the highway was unofficially closed for a few minutes in the wee hours of the morning.  There was no traffic anyway, but preparations included a police car on the only on ramp in my path.

We were all gearheads back then.

The state police however had no sense of humor whatsoever.

So true. It is so much more challenging (and skillful) to drive 150 these days.  Used to be point and shoot, but now it's a lot of bob and weave.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Better to get the a hole than to hit a pothole at 120!

We were running code but still had to weave through cars, that’s why we backed off.  The guy dumped his bike anyway but we got him.  The helo picked him up with FLIR, hiding in bushes 3’ from me!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

At first, I thought driving 152 would be a bit scary in a standard type vehicle.  But then I remembered as a young idiot going over 120 in my 68 Road Runner on a country road.  I guess 152 on a smooth, wide, interstate highway wouldn't be so bad.  

For many cars it is a bit weird and even dangerous.  Often the only warning you get is a strange feeling that the nose of the car is beginning to move around in a sort of circular pattern.  You would be approaching Vlof

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

For many cars it is a bit weird and even dangerous.

I was out on a two lane road with nothing but forest on each side.  No place for a police car to hide for a couple miles.  Lots of guys went there late at night to either drag race or just to go fast.  I had a muscle car and felt it was expected of me to run it up to near top end, at least once.  The trees on either side flying by at 120 mph was a big reminder of how fast I was going.  :o