When you move to the south

Square Wheels

Not sure where you might be moving to in the South, but you have a lot more to worry about getting used to the heat, humidity and hurricanes than you do dealing with the funny talk.  :)

Also, the level of rudeness is greatly lessened in the South versus Boston.  You might have to make some slight adjustments in your daily interactions with others.  :nodhead:

• Heart 2

When do you think you'll hear about the interview outcome?

I was in the U.S. ...Boston and Cape Cod area for about 10 days.  I found myself starting to take on a certain accent for certain words..  towards end.

It may well be because I already know of another language that is heavily based on word tones.  So for whatever reason, that might cause me in unintentionally start to mimic..

16 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Not sure where you might be moving to in the South, but you have a lot more to worry about getting used to the heat, humidity and hurricanes than you do dealing with the funny talk.  :)

Also, the level of rudeness is greatly lessened in the South versus Boston.  You might have to make some slight adjustments in your daily interactions with others.  :nodhead:

Southern hospitality is a thing. I always found it odd how friendly people were in the south.   

When I worked for that firm based out of Memphis we had a brilliant PHD on staff.  But she sounded like a southern belle and wouldn’t let you call her Dr, she was Sandy.  I couldn’t do it and compromised with ma’m.  Chriiiiiis, pleeeease caaall me Saaandy. 

• Hugs 1

34 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Jackson, TN  I was only there for 24 hours, but the weather was about the same as what I left - it was unusually hot here though.

I've driven past Jackson TN a few times and EVERY TIME is was bone-chillingly cold. You're gonna love it, though.

46 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Jackson, TN  I was only there for 24 hours, but the weather was about the same as what I left - it was unusually hot here though.

I can handle less rude.

Already accepted the offer.

Congratulations, I can help you with southern stuff. 

• Heart 2

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Another bonus is that moving from Boston -> Jackson nets you either a big housing upgrade or a big capital gains win!!!!

No gains, but we'll have a bigger house and smaller mortgage.  Maybe get down to 10 years and a smaller payment than what we have.

Huge drawback for me, no basement.  Will likely leave my tools here.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Already accepted the offer.

Congratulations...

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Also, the level of rudeness is greatly lessened in the South versus BostonYou might have to make some slight adjustments in your daily interactions with others.  

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I can handle less rude.

:scratchhead:   I read RR'a post a bit differently than you did...  ;)

Congratulations again...  

So now you get to pack up a house full of stuff and move.  I hate doing that.... 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

No gains, but we'll have a bigger house and smaller mortgage.  Maybe get down to 10 years and a smaller payment than what we have.

Huge drawback for me, no basement.  Will likely leave my tools here.

Third garage. Very common. 

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

My wife doesn't do flags.

She found a pride parade the town recently had.  One person was carrying this flag, she said she'd hang that one.

IMG_0557-rotated.webp

So the game plan is to find a place for awhile there?

I know the feeling.....since I had to find a place in Alberta when I was 51 yrs. for my new job. I knew no one who lived in Alberta. Zero. So well into my career...and no professional nor personal contacts in prairie city. One good friend in Toronto still has rest of her family here in prairie city. 

However dearie lived here for last 2 yrs. of his career (when I lived and worked in Toronto), so he showed me some basic things about the city and of course, this is how I learned the interconnected park pathway system rhoughtout the city...since we rode together.

Dearie was supportive of me and joined me finding a place (not what I first rented) but what was bought later. Then he eventually bought stuff to suit him when he was spending time with me here. 

• Heart 1