Are there no limits as to what can be advertised on TV anymore?

Road Runner
Go to solution Solved by smudge,

6 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

What pisses me off the most is the money that is made by advertising snake oil like Neuriva and Prevagen. These are major corporations involved in fraud IMO. 

I don’t remember those commercials!  I wish there was something I could take to improve my memory

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, smudge said:

The other day HoSmudge and I were watching tv when a commercial came on for women's monthly products. I was mortified at how much they were talking about. I looked at HoSmudge and said, "Ya know, I liked it better back in the day when we didn't discuss this sort of thing in public. I liked it better when we nervously asked another chick if that sort of thing happened to her and then we shared tips on how to handle it. Besides, I don't think guys need to know that kind of stuff." He chuckled. 

(Hey you kids! Get the hell off my lawn!)

But RG talks about his PRI.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

TV sucks

BOO!!!!

Ads suck.  TV has some good stuff!

Of course, the lined is blurred between TV and just "content".  I watch the Tour and bike racing on my "TV" but it is through streaming apps to essentially a giant monitor.  My TV has a tuner, but I don't use it, so I guess I watch a lot of "streaming" or "computer" or even "monitor"???

8 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

This is why ALL of the stuff we watch is on our DVR and we just fast forward thru the messed up crap they call advertisement. 

Exactly!

If you are watching ads, you're doing it wrong.  DVRs are two decades old, at least now, so I've been skipping ads for over 20 years.  Add in streaming - no ads - and I usually have to try to find an ad, not avoid one. :D

You know, if you watch something on the television, whether it is Netflix, youtube, cable, or pirated movies, then you are watching tv and you do watch tv.  It can be confusing if you say you don't watch tv, yet watch Netflix for instance.  Just wanted to clarify for folks who are not clarifying.

You are welcome.

• Heart 2

32 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

BOO!!!!

Ads suck.  TV has some good stuff!

Of course, the lined is blurred between TV and just "content".  I watch the Tour and bike racing on my "TV" but it is through streaming apps to essentially a giant monitor.  My TV has a tuner, but I don't use it, so I guess I watch a lot of "streaming" or "computer" or even "monitor"???

Nothing new IMO is good. I haven't watched new network shows since aboot 2016 :) I only have rabbit ears, and watch old 50s-80s TV :) Some of the older stuff is new to me, so I'm happy with that.

• Heart 1

I remember being in Paris, France in 1998 and a TV commercial we saw on in our hotel room was a bra commercial where a woman walking with the bra switched back-and-forth making the bra disappear than reappear - showing her nude/with bra/nude/with bra, etc. Meanwhile a chorus of singers chanted, "Regarde ces seins!" which is: "Look at those tits!"

I thought we'd never have that in the USA, but I guess that's next - at least for cable channels.

My biggest complaint is the clear lies told in commercials today.  It reminds me of the 1960's when young people were calling for "truth in advertising."  They never got it but it was toned down.  Now you've got hard sell, fast voiced idiots screaming you have to buy this product, etc.  You have Tom Selleck saying, "I've been around...and if I thought anyone had been harmed by a reverse mortgage I wouldn't be doing this commercial," even though Congress and the States have implemented new laws to stop people being cheated by reverse mortgages - like telling applicants to put the house in the husband's name only to simplify things, then throwing the wife out after he dies.

That lying crap is in so many ads it infuriates me to watch them.

• Hugs 1

6 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I remember being in Paris, France in 1998 and a TV commercial we saw on in our hotel room was a bra commercial where a woman walking with the bra switched back-and-forth making the bra disappear than reappear - showing her nude/with bra/nude/with bra, etc. Meanwhile a chorus of singers chanted, "Regarde ces seins!" which is: "Look at those tits!"

I thought we'd never have that in the USA, but I guess that's next - at least for cable channels.

My biggest complaint is the clear lies told in commercials today.  It reminds me of the 1960's when young people were calling for "truth in advertising."  They never got it but it was toned down.  Now you've got hard sell, fast voiced idiots screaming you have to buy this product, etc.  You have Tom Selleck saying, "I've been around...and if I thought anyone had been harmed by a reverse mortgage I wouldn't be doing this commercial," even though Congress and the States have implemented new laws to stop people being cheated by reverse mortgages - like telling applicants to put the house in the husband's name only to simplify things, then throwing the wife out after he dies.

That lying crap is in so many ads it infuriates me to watch them.

I was (am) VERY disappointed in him for doing those stupid reverse mortgage commercials. Not like he's desperate for money and needed the work for chrissake. 

• Heart 1