Short retirement

ChrisL

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

So update on my unemployment, I verbally accepted the offer from the security firm  yesterday and have a call scheduled with my future boss for this morning to hammer out next steps.   They have agreed to all of my requests (salary & time off) and I met with the team Wednesday morning and got a good vibe from them.  It was weird in that I felt I was interviewing them.  

This is the firm I brought in to service my  former employer and one of the reasons I did as I have worked with many of their senior leadership and trust them.  It looks like the feelings are mutual. 

They are paying me more than my previous employer in base salary but I likely won’t bonus like I was and the overall medical benefit package is not as good but we plan to switch to my wife’s employers plan which is similar to what I had. 

The other opportunity looked interesting but I didn’t get a good feeling from the recruiter & hiring manager and I think they want a true technician which I’m not.  I actually believe they are looking for a Unicorn as what they are looking for is someone with two distinct set of skills which I have yet to see in the industry.  Most people in my industry focus on one or the other. Either way I’m still in the running but I’m not feeling it with them. I have another interview scheduled with a third firm but their location is over an hour away so I’ll likely back out.

So I do have some reservation about going back  into the service side again but they made it hard to say no.  I don’t know my start date yet but I’m guessing sooner than later.  

So, where are you moving to? Fredericksburg VA to be close to the MIL? Texas? All the cool kids are moving locations for new jobs. You can’t possibly be staying in the same old same old. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Trusting the company and like the people I work with is right up there with the kind of work I actually do in terms of keeping me happy at a job.  I can't imagine working at a place with people I didn't trust.

And knowing the people and the company takes a lot of the uncertainty out of a new position, which is a good thing.

Congratulations!

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Old No. 7 said:

So, where are you moving to? Fredericksburg VA to be close to the MIL? Texas? All the cool kids are moving locations for new jobs. You can’t possibly be staying in the same old same old. 

They actually want me to manage a portfolio of business in the county where I live! So I guess I’m not a cool kid, I’m staying home. 

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

This is the firm I brought in to service my  former employer

It'll be sorta sweet when the old employer needs some security help and you show up at their door!  :nodhead:  And now they have to pay a higher hourly wage to your company than they did when you worked for them as an employee.

The only 'downside' is that after all the trouble you went to delete yourself from the security system, now you have to go back through all the effort of putting yourself back in!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

It'll be sorta sweet when the old employer needs some security help and you show up at their door!  :nodhead:  And now they have to pay a higher hourly wage to your company than they did when you worked for them as an employee.

The only 'downside' is that after all the trouble you went to delete yourself from the security system, now you have to go back through all the effort of putting yourself back in!

Right!?!  I’ll definitely be back and am hatching a plan to be able to do some of my old tasks as a contractor.

I actually got a call from my old coordinator last night. My old boss told him to coordinate security coverage at a remote location. My boss just tells people to get it done.  Except my boss has all of the information needed to get it done and has shared none of it with the coordinator. If you call him or text you get crickets.  So he called me as he just didn’t know what to do. 

I spent 30 minutes with him on the phone getting everything lined up. 

• Awesome 2
  • Hugs 1

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

am hatching a plan to be able to do some of my old tasks as a contractor

I'd suggest using 90% of your old salary+bonuses as your guide for your fees over the year.  As long as the outsourced costs are cheaper than what they used to pay you, they will keep using your services and your company will keep them as a client.

• Heart 1