Current reading?

Ralphie

I bought a Kindle.  Then I got Kindle Unlimited.   For $10 month I get unlimited books from their Unlimited library, which is not unlimited.  I am trying new authors in the techno thriller space.  Reading Marc Camerons "Jericho Quinn" stuff now.  Sort of Tom Clancy meets Jack Reacher and James Bond.   

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

One of my car pool guys got in the habit of listening to audio novels like those. We liked Balducci and Decker the best, but Patterson is good too. Grisham even had a good one, The Rooster Bar. 

I abandoned my kindle paper white for the iPhone which I enjoy more because it is so \]{#> portable and convenient.   But the paper white was fun. 

Just now, Philander Seabury said:

One of my car pool guys got in the habit of listening to audio novels like those. We liked Balducci and Decker the best, but Patterson is good too. Grisham even had a good one, The Rooster Bar. 

You need to read / listen to Playing for Pizza by Grisham.  

• Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Thanks!  Going to the liberry now so owl look for it. That sumbitch is at least an author and a half!   I loved his change of pace book, Skipping Christmas. 

Have you read A Painted House by Grisham.  Another change of pace, as is Playing for Pizza.

I've been reading what are effectively the teacher's or student's detailed notes for each lecture of a 12 lecture course.  The book is called, Human Prehistory and the First Civilizations c.2003 by Brian Fagan.

Each chapter refers to other books that are "necessary" or "essential" reading like "Brian Fagan, People of the Earth, chapter 2."

I see there are some interesting related books, with more recent publication dates and surely some updated ideas that I'll read as recommended by each lecture in the book or after this book gives me a brief summary of what's in them.  The two key ones I like (and have downloaded) are:

People of the Earth c.2019 by Brian Fagan and Nadia Durrani

A Brief History of Archeology, Classical Times to the 21st Century c.2016 by Brian Fagan and Nadia Durrani

The lecture book I'm reading now is close enough to a more prosaic, regular book that it can be read alone in a nice, concise format if desired:

Lecture Two
In the Beginning

Scope: In this, the second lecture, we begin our narrative of human prehistory, with an account of the earliest humans of all. Lecture Two covers human origins from before 7 mya up to 3 million years before present. The first part places humans among the primates and in the suborder Hominidae. We then consider the fundamental anatomical and behavioral changes that may have occurred among hominids before and after they separated from their common ancestor with chimpanzees between 7 and 5 mya. The next part of the lecture examines the different fossil forms, which define the earliest stages of human evolution, and concludes that we must conceive of human evolution as a form of conceptual bush. The lecture ends with the descendants of Australopithecus afarensis splitting into different lines about 3 mya.

Outline

I. Victorian biologist Thomas Huxley called human origins the “question of questions” for humankind. As long ago as 1863, he drew attention to the close anatomical relationships between humans and apes, a highly controversial piece of research at the time. In 1871, Charles Darwin, of evolution and natural selection fame, theorized that Africa, with its rich ape populations, would reveal much about human evolution. The research of a century and a half has proved them correct.
A. Today’s paleoanthropologists draw on researches in numerous academic disciplines to tell the story of early human evolution. Molecular biology in particular has helped pinpoint the moment when humans separated from our closest living non-primate relatives, the chimpanzees.
B. All of us are members of the order Primates, which includes most tree-loving placental mammals. There are two suborders: anthropoids (apes, humans, and monkeys) and prosimians (lemurs, tarsiers, and other “premonkeys”).
C. The many similarities in behavior and physical characteristics between the hominids (primates of the family Hominidae, which includes modern humans and their ancestors) and pongids (our closest living primate relatives) can be explained by identical characteristics that each group inherited millions of years ago from a common ancestor

Etc.

This edition predates covid. Interesting comparing the conclusions and recommendations made in the book to the present day - what policies and procedures were implemented, what agencies seemed to have learned and the action they took, and what either forgotten or ignored:

Capture.JPG.d0432983828baa0e50918d26434a9ec2.JPG

Different from most WWII prisoner of war histories in that the author was imprisoned in Buchenwald for a time instead of a Stalag Luft prison camp.

Capture.JPG.9cb3c3c1a4f0952401f126f908e89d9a.JPG

Haven't seen too many histories of Revolutionary privateers - mostly they are mentioned in passing in the accounts of others.  Apparently books on this topic available, and it may be a rabbit hole into which I may disappear.  It seems they were more successful than I'd thought, but it's still early in the book...

Capture.JPG.65aa33d2b93e52d6da3f100f10ed0fb7.JPG

On 8/12/2022 at 11:32 AM, Razors Edge said:

Murder in the Mews - a Poirot novel by Agatha Christie.

Not a NOVEL. A collection of short-ish Poirot stories.  I was shocked when the first mystery was solved at only 20% of the Kindle!  I thought there might be a twist, but turned out it is a collection of stories.  I just have all the Poirot in order on my Kindle, and this was next up, and I didn't realize it was one of the story collections.  :D