So 83 yr. friend will understand my bike worry

shootingstar

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Tomorrow she'll understand my worry of locking up a bike near a shopping mall while we go eat  somewhere.

She used to be a radonneur, a long-time cycling advocate in Metro VAncouver  and commuter cyclist for about 4 decades before she stopped cycling 5 years ago.

I

When I had a Ford Taurus, I had a bike rack that clamped onto the trunk and the bike clamped at the back of the car.  I got a 3/4" steel strap and lock that I was able to run around some metal piece under the bumper and around the frame.

Still, if I had to stop at a store, I always parked the car and bike close to a window or glass door where I could check on it every couple minutes.

Then I got the Honda Fit and the bike fits inside.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, BR46 said:

Locks only slow thieves down. If they want they will get it if it worth any value to them. 

Most are looking for the quick grab and ride home ditching when they get there. 

I did headline this post with the title, because truly I don't there are many women out there in their 70's, 80's,  at  least locally who have in the past, integrated cycling for enough yrs., into their lifestyle to a point they would truly understand how dependent one can be with a bike.

She told me in her 90-unit condo for sr's. in 60's up to 90's, most have been car dependent their whole lives. They can't conceive of life via bike. Quite a number of them spent their lives on farms before moving into the city for final stage in life.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Beanz said:

Why don't you learn to drive then get a car? 🤔

Seems like you could avoid much of the things you worry about with a car.

bEanz I did have a driver's license in my early 20's. But I was never comfortable driving and on higher speed highways, no.  A person must feel completely comfortable behind the steering wheel to drive.  Unlike people who never learned to drive and criticize, I have and do criticize when needed. 

I know personally several women, who felt forced to drive...especially when a child/baby entered their life.  I can tell by the way, how they drive compared a close friend, I don't think some of these folks should be driving at all.

Whereas the close friend, she loves driving and is a safe driver, whipping easily in and out of tight parking spots, long distance driving,, etc. Oh yea, she works for the Transportation business unit in our organization...so lots of knowledge about local roads project, good vs. shitty work by contractors, etc.

13 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

That sounds like a lot of culture shock! 

She told me, quite a number of these folks still drive....in her city which is 65% smaller than Calgary. They never drive into and within Calgary.  And our traffic volumes don't compare at all to Toronto!!

She finds the farm folks she's met, tend to be more meat and potatoes eater.  She herself, a divorced, former nurse, is pescatarian....will eat fish, but more vegetarian in her diet for past few decades. Friend grew up in Ontario and moved to British Columbia where she was a nurse for various hospitals.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Beanz said:

Rule #1 in the driver's handbook.

Driving is a privilege.  Nobody is forced to drive. 😉

In your 20s? How long did you drive or hold a license?

Not everyone becomes an excellent driver over night. Ok, so I did. 😄

2 yrs.  

Did you want to razz me for not continuing to drive?  No person should feel ashamed they didn't drive.  What is important for the person is to choose to live in places where they can use other forms of transportation to live a good life.

So far, it feels as if I have ...and has resulted in good health for me so far.  What Shapes Me: Neighbourhoods That Are Walkable, Cycleable – Cycle Write Blog (wordpress.com)

8 minutes ago, Mr. Beanz said:

I'm  ot  razzing you. I am  merely suggesting a solution to the things you constantly complain complain about on this forum.  Seems like you continually post about the real worries of locking your bike. 

Where else can I express my worries ....outside of a cycling forum? I only mentioned the other time when a thief nearly took off with my bike. It's not continuously posting about it, Beanz. This is also a cycling forum.

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Where else can I express my worries ....outside of a cycling forum? I only mentioned the other time when a thief nearly took off with my bike. It's not continuously posting about it, Beanz. This is also a cycling forum.

....and meeting the old people without locks and a feew  more times in. Imjjuust  saying you go on and on with this subject. Riding alone   Riding to worry, bike locckk ,   many subjects that come up and many many times you remind 😉 us us that you you don't drive. Just saying you most of your concerns would be  settled if you were took up driving..

6 minutes ago, Mr. Beanz said:

....and meeting the old people without locks and a feew  more times in. Imjjuust  saying you go on and on with this subject. Riding alone   Riding to worry, bike locckk ,   many subjects that come up and many many times you remind 😉 us us that you you don't drive. Just saying you most of your concerns would be  settled if you were took up driving..

Not interested. I don't mind riding alone.....unlike many women I personally know locally. Which I find a bit strange.