Karen

sheep_herder

My first job as a bag boy at a grocery store, there were four of us and my head would turn ant time the manager would call two of them. One was a nickname formal name combination - Larry Lawrence - and I answer to both. While my last name is a single syllable word, and will respond to my last name, the coworkers was a two syllable name, but started with mine and the accent was on the first syllable.

• Heart 1

55 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

My almost wife (nurse from Miami) was named Karen.  When I was transferred from Key West to VA that became a long distance relationship that ended when she ran off with a biker patient.

My wife is a Nancy............so there is that.

They’ll need the manager to sort this out. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Picked up my wife at the Billings airport late Tuesday night. W stayed overnight and returned to Miles City the next day. She returned with a cold and was moving slowly the next day with the 2 hour time change, so I went to breakfast by myself. They have the usual hot and cold breakfast items, and also have a cooked meal. While eating my cooked meal the lady cooking the breakfasts called out the name Karen to pick up their breakfast. Three ladies got up and walked to the window. One of the ladies was sitting at an adjacent table. I asked what had happened, and she responded, "Can you imagine, and all three were named Karen". 

Happens all the time if your name is John. For food orders my name is Yukon. 
At the diagnostic center they said they were not allowed to use last names because of hippo regulations. I asked them to change my first name on file and they said they couldn’t do it. After a year they got tired of trying to sort out which person they wanted and went back to using full names. Screw that stupid hippo.

• Heart 1

‘Tis the season of the Karen’s. This person I have the date with tomorrow is named Karen. Two other Karens were recently recommended matches and this morning I got an email that another Karen was a match. When I clicked on it it said profile had been removed.

First it was Nancys and now it is Karens. If this one works out I won’t be contacting any other Karens.

• Hugs 1

7 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Picked up my wife at the Billings airport late Tuesday night. W stayed overnight and returned to Miles City the next day. She returned with a cold and was moving slowly the next day with the 2 hour time change, so I went to breakfast by myself. They have the usual hot and cold breakfast items, and also have a cooked meal. While eating my cooked meal the lady cooking the breakfasts called out the name Karen to pick up their breakfast. Three ladies got up and walked to the window. One of the ladies was sitting at an adjacent table. I asked what had happened, and she responded, "Can you imagine, and all three were named Karen". 

The closest I came to a daughter is named Karen, an athlete I coached and a chemistry student I taught.  She would stop by my classroom and tell me everything that went on with her life - sometimes in such intimate detail that I had to stop the conversation.

She played on the softball team I coached and, with so many excellent pitchers ahead of her, she said she was going to concentrate on 1st base after her freshman year.  I told her and her parents, in private, that if Karen continued to go to weekend softball clinics during the offseason, I would guarantee her 50 innings pitched on the varsity team the next year.

Karen stuck with pitching and, 7 years later, was selected as a Division I All American, pitching at my alma mater, UMBC (University of Maryland Baltimore County).

------------------------

Were the Karen women close to the same age and was there a big movie with a Karen character before they were born?

About 15 years or so after the movie "Love Story," where the character Jennifer dies of cancer after saying idiotic ideal stuff like, "Love is never having to say you're sorry," about every fourth girl in my classes was named Jennifer.  One didn't like that so many girls had her name and went by her middle name, "Nadine," and she, "Deany," went on to become the county girl's high jump champion on the track team I coached.

Then Ross and Rachel named their baby "Emma," in 2002 and I joked when I retired in 2006 that I was going to miss the experience of having four girls answer when I called out "Emma" in every class in another decade.

Then my nephew Ryan's classmates seemed to all have younger sisters named Emma.

• Heart 2

55 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Were the Karen women close to the same age and was there a big movie with a Karen character before they were born?

The Karen I have a date with is ten years younger than me. I didn’t notice the age of the other Karens. All of my Nancys were about 68 years old.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

WOChrisL is a Karen.  When calling in food orders she would get so many comments about being a “Karen” she just puts my name down for the order. 

My HS GF was also a Karen.  I just realized that with the exception of a two year break, I have been with a Karen since I was 16 years old…

It didn’t take long for them to ruin the name Karen. It had a good run though, for many years it was just a name. I think in time it will go back to that.

• Heart 1

My great nephew married a girl named Isis. Not long after that the terrorist group was all over the news. I tried to convince her to use another name on Facebook because the terrorists had ruined her name. She refused and said she had the name first and wasn’t going to change it. She eventually did change it but by now we are probably all on the CIA and FBI watch lists.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

My great nephew married a girl named Isis. Not long after that the terrorist group was all over the news. I tried to convince her to use another name on Facebook because the terrorists had ruined her name. She refused and said she had the name first and wasn’t going to change it. She eventually did change it but by now we are probably all on the CIA and FBI watch lists.

Without reading up about the Egyptian queen or princess, Isis is a lovely name.  It just sounds nice.

Wonder if the names Karen, Nancy will ever be recycled with popularity in 2-4 generations. Probably not within our lifetime.

I even find in miraculous that I met a young woman whose name was also my name. And my name is definitely generation-based 1950's-1960's. 

At work, once a yr. I get an email referred to this Asian-based employee within our ranks.  Then I look up their name in the employee email directory and our HR online system that's tied to our organizational structure and job titles.  I can't find the person and still do need to communicate with person....for a course I'm teaching, etc.

So I take a wild guess, by looking at similar spelling of last names (which is the lst clue), and then send out an email to:  3-4 employees:

"Sorry, to send this surprise email, but which one of you is xxxxxx?"  And this is how I locate the right employee, because the person will speak up.  The thing is some Chinese-Canadians (or Korean, etc.) will have a full transliterated Chinese first and last name....as a legal name which they have registered under birth certificate and all CAnadian govn't ID.  So then, later person may adopt an English first name informally.

For once, it helps that I have a Chinese last name and can approach this very easily..even joke about it occasionally with person.

I'm glad my parents gave us legal Anglicized first name. Then each of us do have a real Chinese first name which is totally separate in meaning.

Strangely enough   I've only known 2 gals named Karen. 

When I was about 16, my uncle married a lady named Karen. Shee had knockers that wouldn't quit.😄

The second,  an 18 yo gal working with at Weinerschnitzel. She too had knockers that wouldn't quit. 😄

Got to be something about the name. 😄

I don’t know many Karen’s. I barely knew my dad’s half sister or her kids. We never had contact with them growing up. Dad said she was too much like her mom. A couple years before he died he finally relented and shared a few family photos that had her in them. He still didn’t have much nice to say. 
The year after he died, we were visiting our daughters down here and my mom and brother also happened to be down here. One evening my mom asked us to take her to a hospital. She got word Dad’s sister was there and probably wouldn’t live much longer. His sister was not very coherent, but her daughter, Karen, happened to be there. She turned out to be a wonderful person. We are friends on FB. She is a writer and I love her writing style even when telling family stories.  Even though dad was gone before this, I haven’t forgiven him for keeping us away from these cousins while we grew up.