1001 drag racing facts

maddmaxx

Organized Drag racing had it's 72nd birthday back on July 2nd.

On that day in 1950 the first "official" drag race took place at an out-of-commission Army airbase in Santa Ana, California. Soon that airbase was established as Santa Ana Drags, the world's first commercial dragstrip. When it closed nine years later, drag racing had become a nationwide sport with established rules and classes, national championships, and a major sanctioning body.

This was just for Kzoo because he was too young to remember that.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

This is a real fact:  … NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars use between 10 and 12 gallons of fuel for a complete pass, including the burnout, backup to the starting line, and quarter-mile run!

So they get about 40 gallons to the mile? The electric dragsters will save the planet.

2 minutes ago, groupw said:

If you’ve raced electric RC cars, it sounds very normal, though. 
There was a time when performance luxury cars would brag about the “quiet power” of their cars. Maybe we are circling back to that. 

I'm more interested in the full body Mustang electric drag car.

• Awesome 1

27 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm more interested in the full body Mustang electric drag car.

So....  that's just a full size replica of your drag racing cars.  

I'll guess there is a computer that controls the motor output for the best traction / acceleration?   

No clutch, no shifting, just launch the car at the start and steer,  The brake and pull the shoot when needed.   

image.png.6357a8cfae97f140b7dbd942a9d4df6a.png

• Awesome 1

Why do dragsters now have their engines in the back behind the driver?  

On March 20 1970 Don Garlits, one of drag racings greatest inovators lost the toes of his left foot to a transmission explosion in his then front engine dragster.  During his recovery he developed the plans for the first rear engined car and stuck with it till it worked well and everyone followed his design example for more safety.

• Awesome 1

Because a Top Fuel dragster engine runs so hot, the electrodes on the spark plugs are completely destroyed at only halfway through a run; the engine runs on its existing combustion and exhaust valves from that point on. Because of this, only stopping the flow of fuel through the engine will turn it off. You can’t just turn a key to shut the engine down.

• Heart 1

Top fuel dragster power is delivered through a pair of bias-ply drag slicks manufactured in Akron, Ohio. Thirty-six inches tall, 17.5 inches wide, and weighing 48 pounds apiece, they're part number 2747 in the Goodyear Racing catalog, $917 per tire. Each one is expected to last eight runs, or a bit more than 1.5 miles.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Further said:

I read somewhere that the money spent in a season divided by the number of runs made, equaled well above $10,000

Top fuel

Seems about right.  I've heard estimates from 8 to 12K for a normal run where no parts are broken.  That's book keeping numbers though as it probably includes the tow vehicles, crew salary etc.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Seems about right.  I've heard estimates from 8 to 12K for a normal run where no parts are broken.  That's book keeping numbers though as it probably includes the tow vehicles, crew salary etc.

All that stuff counts, can't run if you can't get the car to the track

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Because a Top Fuel dragster engine runs so hot, the electrodes on the spark plugs are completely destroyed at only halfway through a run; the engine runs on its existing combustion and exhaust valves from that point on. Because of this, only stopping the flow of fuel through the engine will turn it off. You can’t just turn a key to shut the engine down.

My 500cc 2 stoke race bike has high compression and if I run regular pump gas and I'm going down a straightaway wide open I could hit the kill switch and the motor would keep running. I run VP 110 octane racing fuel mixed with 2 stoke oil at 32 to 1.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

What other categories of drag racing are there other than “top fuel”? And what is “top fuel”? Closer to airplane fuel than 89 octane?

Top Fuel is a nickname for the top level of nitro burning dragsters.  They are officially AA/FD or supercharged nitromethane fueled dragsters.  There are lower levels such as A/FD which have no supercharger and other classes like AA/D or A/D that are similar but burn gasoline.  There are literally dozens and dozens of drag racing classes.  The important ones for fans are the AA/FD, AA/FC for nitro burning funny cars, P/S for prostock gasoline burning stock appearing cars.  These are the classes you will see on televised races.

Drag Racing Classes | NHRA

• Thank You 1