A trick to put hangers in a sheet metal shed

MickinMD

The organizing hangers for garages, sheds, etc. tend to have screws to go into wood, sheetrock, or cement/cinderblocks.

That doesn't work where the galvanized steel walls of my shed are less than 1/16" thick.

But the walls do have a "midframe," a brace, that runs around all the walls where it's 1" x 1" x 1" and open facing inside

201036205_midframeopenface-20220814_105050_900p.thumb.jpg.d7d139519cac30a8f649e1613cf6c5d5.jpg

The people who rebuilt my house left me lots of 1' to 4' long pieces of leftover oak hardwood flooring and I can cut some of them to fit, adding a shim from the same oak piece so it's tight, and cut it so it only sticks out only about 1/2" past the end of the steel brace so it's not adding a lot of torque to the wall brace.  I can drill holes through the brace and use 1.5" #8 brass sheet metal screws (that's a 1" screw in the 3rd pic) to hold the wood in place.

20220814_110656_900p.thumb.jpg.b6f6b57c9c14db203401a48540b323f6.jpg 1945617012_WoodBlockinbraceslot-20220814_105146_900p.jpg.4e18ba908146c3d6d5354ff95ca2d09d.jpg 20220814_110255_900p.thumb.jpg.364f060d35e2ab2777a0a7826a4f3da0.jpg

I wanted hangers that are all metal and these iron ones work:

184993099_ToolHangerOverall.thumb.JPG.14679ec8a4bb9b95a7697e3a191674d0.JPG

There are four 17" pieces like this - if the middle hole in the piece with the hooks is too low, I'll just drll another hole through the iron farther up.  I'll put one of the four against the back wall where the ceiling is 6' 7" high for tools with 6' long poles and three along the side wall there the walls are 5' 2" high:

1211452769_SinglePieceof4FixedandAdjustablehooks.JPG.ef1a44d4f051868e8ccbc6352f796acc.JPG1681048420_AdjustableHookexampleandweightcapacity.JPG.a1955398c0642496410cad40966a5d4a.JPG

If the supplied screws are too long (I won't need the anchors), I'll just get 1" wood screws at Lowe's or Home Depot:

Parts.JPG.a3509a2caedf7140fc3ae5c1a60c711d.JPG

• Heart 4

10 hours ago, MickinMD said:

That doesn't work where the galvanized steel walls of my shed are less than 1/16" thick.

But the walls do have a "midframe," a brace, that runs around all the walls where it's 1" x 1" x 1" and open facing inside

You still will need something to hold the weight of the tools.  I'll guess those walls, even with the brace, probably was not designed to hold the weight, or resist the bending moment from the weight of the tools being cantilevered out from the wall on the midframe.   You my rip the wall screws (over time) that hold the walls together, thru the walls.  That would be bad.

You may want to consider adding wooden legs (on each end) of the board that extend down to the concrete, and those legs that will hold the weight of tools.  

Or this guy had another idea.  You will see in the video.    Me... I'd frame out some kind or tool shelf that has legs that go down to the floor.   And use the wall midframe to keep the rack from tipping over.

7 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

You still will need something to hold the weight of the tools.  I'll guess those walls, even with the brace, probably was not designed to hold the weight, or resist the bending moment from the weight of the tools being cantilevered out from the wall on the midframe.   You my rip the wall screws (over time) that hold the walls together, thru the walls.  That would be bad.

You may want to consider adding wooden legs (on each end) of the board that extend down to the concrete, and those legs that will hold the weight of tools.  

Or this guy had another idea.  You will see in the video.    Me... I'd frame out some kind or tool shelf that has legs that go down to the floor.   And use the wall midframe to keep the rack from tipping over.

I second that idea for legs to the floor.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, smudge said:

Umm, how would they hang?? You need the working end to "catch" on the hanger. :scratchhead:

The handles would lean, not hang. The working side is down. The corner of the shed would be a good spot to hold the handles in place. I do it in my garage in the 1 foot space between the two single doors so the handles nestle between the 2x4 supports. But, I do also hang wide things like rakes on the wall in the conventional manner, so this wouldn’t be a complete solution, but it is good for shovels and spades. 

9 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Thanks for the advice.

I'll put three of the 17" hook racks on one side, hook up the tools, see if there's much torque trying to twist the mid-frame - maybe not because the working-end of the tools will mostly be resting on the cement floor with the 31" high rack just holding the handles in place, and put legs as you suggested if there is.

The tools on the back 6' 7" wall will have their handles supported by one 17" hook-rack and their working ends on the cement floor - I have one garden rake and two hoes that will go their now and maybe a grass rake later.

Arriving today is this 3-adjustable shelf unit to hold clippers, rope, etc. and the 30" height is enough to work on if I need to make some adjustments to tools before using them:

image.thumb.png.62ca11c82f4859fb19a9cfbb7138bed1.png

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

Thanks for the advice.

I'll put three of the 17" hook racks on one side, hook up the tools, see if there's much torque trying to twist the mid-frame - maybe not because the working-end of the tools will mostly be resting on the cement floor with the 31" high rack just holding the handles in place, and put legs as you suggested if there is.

The tools on the back 6' 7" wall will have their handles supported by one 17" hook-rack and their working ends on the cement floor - I have one garden rake and two hoes that will go their now and maybe a grass rake later.

Arriving today is this 3-adjustable shelf unit to hold clippers, rope, etc. and the 30" height is enough to work on if I need to make some adjustments to tools before using them:

image.thumb.png.62ca11c82f4859fb19a9cfbb7138bed1.png

Costco has some really nice shelving units for good prices.  You should check them out next time you are there.

2 hours ago, smudge said:

Umm, how would they hang?? You need the working end to "catch" on the hanger. :scratchhead:

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

The handles would lean, not hang. The working side is down. The corner of the shed would be a good spot to hold the handles in place. I do it in my garage in the 1 foot space between the two single doors so the handles nestle between the 2x4 supports. But, I do also hang wide things like rakes on the wall in the conventional manner, so this wouldn’t be a complete solution, but it is good for shovels and spades. 

That right as @Philander Seabury says.  I've bought the foam and caulk sealants to go around the bottom base, after I install the anchor kit, and don't expect much, if any, rain water to get inside the shed so there will be no problem with the working side resting on the floor.  My shovels, rake, hoes, etc. have been sitting outside for over a year under the $7800 roof I had added to the house that goes from the back end of the house, over the stairwell to the basement, over its landing and butts into the porch roof.

Each rack is only good, for avg.-width tools, to hold 3 tools despite 5 adjustable hooks and 6 permanent hooks and the picture of lots of tools being held, and I'll put some space between each 17" hook-rack to give the working ends more space on the bottom.

I've been keeping my lawnmower there as well and look outside every once in a while to see if it's been stolen.  Fortunately I'm not in a bad neighborhood and now it's locked in the shed.