Today was just a Freakin Awesome Day 👌

Mr. Beanz

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

When I was in high school in the 60's, you were not allowed to get a drink of water during basketball or track practice: it was thought water denial hardened your body against collapse!

Kids are way too soft these days to cope with that.  Parents would complain. Principals would get involved. Next thing you know, no sports when it is warm out.

It's nice that they appreciate all your work and make sure you have what you are well supplied.  Having people who recognize and appreciate your efforts makes work much more satisfying.

It's great that you can function well in the sun and heat, Beanz, but don't get so invested in being someone who never has to go inside that you ignore potential warning signs one day.   You've definitely shown your not someone who'll use the heat as an excuse, but legitimately listening to your body is not being a wimp.

• Heart 2

I tell our guys:

• If they aren't peeing at least twice in the AM and twice in the PM, then they aren't hydrating enough.
  • Hydration for today started last night when they got home.
  • Pre-game in the AM ( I tell them I drink 16 OZ of water with my morning meds.)
  • I don't care what they drink (stay away from energy drinks), no beer.
  • Limit the sports drinks to 2, too many electrolytes can be a bad thing too.
  • Keep an eye on your co-workers, watch for them acting different than usual (we're all different out here, just look for different-different)
  • The bodies hydration can change significantly day-to-day, eat a bad shrimp, drink 8 too many tequilas, catch a bug; you can be fine one day and in trouble the next.
  • Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

It's nice that they appreciate all your work and make sure you have what you are well supplied.  Having people who recognize and appreciate your efforts makes work much more satisfying.

It's great that you can function well in the sun and heat, Beanz, but don't get so invested in being someone who never has to go inside that you ignore potential warning signs one day.   You've definitely shown your not someone who'll use the heat as an excuse, but legitimately listening to your body is not being a wimp.

I   do turn in paper work so I get to stroll through the AC when I can.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You really think they aren't headed to the bar at 5:01pm????  They're WELL hydrated by 6pm!

Actually, (usually) they are not. After 10 hours in the heat/sun, nearly all of them head back to the room, pick up take-out or start dinner, shuck clothes, shower, eat, maybe have a few and then hit the rack. There are occasional exceptions.

These folks physically work for a living, at the end of the day, they are done.

• Awesome 2
  • Sad 1

I guess I should hold on to receipts!  Personally, I paid 2 x $60,000 to my siblings to buy-out their shares of our late parents' house and I put over $30,000 into additions, termite damage, etc. during the house rebuild - I have receipts for all that.  A little more - cost of the shed, cost of appliances, etc. and I should able to bring my gain to under $250,000 if I sell the house or at least not have much that's taxed. Hopefully I'll be physically and mentally fine for over a decade and who knows what the laws will be then?

image.thumb.png.1a9bad550700d005885d00f499474278.png

Many homeowners are aware of the general tax rule for home sales – if you have owned and lived in your main home for at least two out of the five years leading up to the sale, up to $250,000 ($500,000 for joint filers) of your gain is tax-free. Any gain in excess of the $250,000 or $500,000 exclusion is taxed at capital gains rates. (Losses from sales of primary homes are not deductible.)

12 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I guess I should hold on to receipts!  Personally, I paid 2 x $60,000 to my siblings to buy-out their shares of our late parents' house and I put over $30,000 into additions, termite damage, etc. during the house rebuild - I have receipts for all that.  A little more - cost of the shed, cost of appliances, etc. and I should able to bring my gain to under $250,000 if I sell the house or at least not have much that's taxed. Hopefully I'll be physically and mentally fine for over a decade and who knows what the laws will be then?

image.thumb.png.1a9bad550700d005885d00f499474278.png

Many homeowners are aware of the general tax rule for home sales – if you have owned and lived in your main home for at least two out of the five years leading up to the sale, up to $250,000 ($500,000 for joint filers) of your gain is tax-free. Any gain in excess of the $250,000 or $500,000 exclusion is taxed at capital gains rates. (Losses from sales of primary homes are not deductible.)

Were you dehydrated? 🤔

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, 2Far said:

I tell our guys:

• If they aren't peeing at least twice in the AM and twice in the PM, then they aren't hydrating enough.
  • Hydration for today started last night when they got home.
  • Pre-game in the AM ( I tell them I drink 16 OZ of water with my morning meds.)
  • I don't care what they drink (stay away from energy drinks), no beer.
  • Limit the sports drinks to 2, too many electrolytes can be a bad thing too.
  • Keep an eye on your co-workers, watch for them acting different than usual (we're all different out here, just look for different-different)
  • The bodies hydration can change significantly day-to-day, eat a bad shrimp, drink 8 too many tequilas, catch a bug; you can be fine one day and in trouble the next.

Great post!  We saw that back in the day where we were all fit & young but some days someone would fall out due to heat where they had never had a problem before.  

Fortunately I never had a problem but I ain’t about to work all day in the sun if I can avoid it.  

• Haha 1

I got the earliest signs on a century on a 100 degree day. I left at sunrise when they released us to get ahead of the heat. Filled my water bottles at every stop. I did have to pee at the halfway point and the stop about 25 miles later. I snacked and filled up the bottles then. Then it got hilly. 
I was out of water when I got to the next stop 12 miles later. Drank more then filled up before heading out. Ran out of water 4 miles from the finish while on the shoulder of a busy highway. I was getting irritated with drivers for no reason. I was able to flag an aid vehicle for someone I passed in much worse shape than me. 
By the time I got to the finish, I downed 2 water bottles and a Gatorade. I sat in the shade and cooled down before riding the last 3 miles to my son’s place where I could shower and WoW brought my street clothes so we could get lunch. I had to sit in my son’s living room for about 45 minutes before WoW got there. That helped me as much as anything. Started feeling like my self after the shower, but I drank like a fish the rest of the day. Never had heat affect me like that before or since. 

• Heart 1