Why Do Some Folks Have Such Weak Stomachs?

Razors Edge

56 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Figuratively and actually????

Really - BEANS???  Are you kidding me?

I hear, "XYZ really disagrees with my stomach" WAY TOO OFTEN!!!

Toughen up, Buttercups! 

Beans are not so much a problem for me but more so for those around me after I eat them….   

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Maybe secondary to other things like gallbladder problems. 

Now we're talking!  A gallbladder is something folks can complain about. Not at all like an appendix! That's over-rated!

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Beans are not so much a problem for me but more so for those around me after I eat them….   

So, you're surrounded by the snowflakes rather than being one?  Seems likely!

• Sad 1

Every one around me thinks I have a cast iron stomach because I rarely have stomach issues.  No upset stomach,  heartburn,  etc. 

I think it's because I don't eat the sheot they eat. 

If I go eat with my BIL,  he'll end up with heartburn.  Then say I'm lucky I don't have problems. 

Yeah,  he ate a chili burger with chili fries. 😄

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Amen! Like I said, they need to "Toughen up, Buttercups!"

I also think it depends what they started off eating as children.  Not always true of course, but it can increase a person's tolerance to spice/strong flavours if they started early in life.  Of course, I'm not talking about junk/overly processed foods.

That has been my perception when dining with those who have similar childhood ethicity/food exposures as myself vs. others who are still very hesitant as adults, about seafood (even if they have no allergies), etc.

Maybe also the speed (if it's too fast), in which some people eat or how they mix certain beverages in their stomach with food. 

I'm also a believer for some folks that if they have a stressful life/pacing, it can easily translate to food digestion problems.  

• Heart 1

I noticed in myself that my body response has changed to certain foods in the last 15 yrs. ...simply because it seems to send me signals to eat healthier in a different way.  I consider it a good thing.

By the way, I rarely get heartburn/reflux.  I only get it rarely, meaning every few yrs.....if I don't pay attention to how I eat and its amounts.

And cycling is GREAT to reduce constipation.

I have a cousin who has a weak stomach for everything.  When I share a recipe with her tell how good it was her usual reply is, "I can't eat that."

That's funny, because her sister is THE great cook in our extended family, especially Polish dishes which can be spicy like Charnina (Duck's Blood Soup).

There are some genetic traits that cause different tongue responses for the same thing.  There's a substance biology teachers order.  A piece of paper is coated with it and biology students taste the paper.  Some say sweet, some say bitter.

Personally, spicy hot stuff disagrees with me if it's strong.  Once, my brother Tim decided to play a trick on our mother at a party by ordering suicide wings from some sub shop.  After they were delivered we watched mom to see how she'd react to the chicken wings, but she went through one after the other with no change of expression.

Tim said, "Damn it, they sent the wrong stuff!" after which he took a bite out a wing and immediately ran for the sink to get a drink of water!

Mom was fine with really spicy hot stuff, but those genes didn't get passed down to us.  I can eat medium salsa but don't like it as much as mild salsa.  Hot salsa: no thanks.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Now we're talking!  A gallbladder is something folks can complain about.

I can't complain about my gallbladder.  It's now missing.  

10 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

A real problem for those that have it. Maybe secondary to other things like gallbladder problems. 

I'd suggest that in some cases the gallbladder can be the cause of a real problem too.   I've never had stomach issues, or for that matter, I seldom was sick.   Until...  

On a Monday in late August in 2016, was my first day of a week of vacation.  I went for a 26 mile ride, then I mowed the grass.  My staycation plans were to ride everyday of the week, and work around the home. Those plans changed.... I was in the hospital with pancreatitis for nearly 3 weeks.   I used more sick days for that, then I did for the prior 39 years on the job.

Stomach, gallbladder and pancreas they are all connected. 

10 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Toughen up, Buttercups! 

:angry:  Pancreatitis hurts a LOT. 24X7 for most of my stay in the hospital.  It hurt to breath.  So I didn't do that much.  My O2 levels were so low I got to enjoy the ICU for 4 days.  I guess organ failure was possibly next.  But I started to recover.   Before I was released, I got to do breathing exercises 4 times a day, to start breathing normally again.   

My only food liquid was via an IV for most of my entire stay at the hospital.   

A few days before I was released.  I told WoBG;  "Lets go for a walk down the hallway."   After maybe 100 feet, I turned around and started back to my room.  WoBG was telling me to walk more.  I told her, it feels like I just ran a marathon.  I'm done.

That said... when I was young...   (maybe 12) our entire family got food poisoning.  We were REALY sick for about 24 hours. Lets just say we were never too far from the bathroom.  That was easy peasy compared to the pain from pancreatitis. 

About 2 months later when I was nearly normal again, they removed my gallbladder, to prevent pancreatitis from coming back.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, groupw said:

gall bladder surgery has made it worse. 

If it was removed...  Yeah I get that.  

I always could eat just about anything and never have any problems.    

The docs told me...  (I paid attention)

The pancreas makes enzymes all the time and when the stomach doesn't need the enzymes they get stored in the gallbladder.  When you eat something, the stomach gets needs enzymes  than the pancreas can supply, so the gallbladder sends some of the stored enzymes to the stomach to help with digestion.

When the gallbladder is removed, the enzyme storage tank is gone.  Enzymes and constantly being dumped into the stomach, if it needs them or not.  And when you eat fatty foods the stomach needs more enzymes for digestion, but the gallbladder isn't there to send them.  

I was told, I should eat small meals more often throughout the day.  And avoid fatty foods.  

The thing I found.... If I get up in the morning and don't eat until noon or early afternoon.  When I do eat, usually in 1 hour, I'll be in the bathroom with enzymes induced diarrhea.  :(  

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

If it was removed...  Yeah I get that.  

I always could eat just about anything and never have any problems.    

The docs told me...  (I paid attention)

The pancreas makes enzymes all the time and when the stomach doesn't need the enzymes they get stored in the gallbladder.  When you eat something, the stomach gets needs enzymes  than the pancreas can supply, so the gallbladder sends some of the stored enzymes to the stomach to help with digestion.

When the gallbladder is removed, the enzyme storage tank is gone.  Enzymes and constantly being dumped into the stomach, if it needs them or not.  And when you eat fatty foods the stomach needs more enzymes for digestion, but the gallbladder isn't there to send them.  

I was told, I should eat small meals more often throughout the day.  And avoid fatty foods.  

The thing I found.... If I get up in the morning and don't eat until noon or early afternoon.  When I do eat, usually in 1 hour, I'll be in the bathroom with enzymes induced diarrhea.  :(  

I know the feeling, but this condition did not show up until several years after my gallbladder was removed. I am still adjusting!

• Hugs 1

35 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I know the feeling, but this condition did not show up until several years after my gallbladder was removed. I am still adjusting!

I found out about this within weeks.   
If I'm going out somewhere I need to be SURE I eat 3 or 4 times through the day before I leave home,  Then I won't have any issues...  and I won't have to find a restroom.