So I got my shoes

12string

49 minutes ago, 12string said:

Well, ordered them.

Couldn't find the right hiking shoes anywhere around here, running out of time.

Ordered Merrells on line.  I know the size, I like their hiking stuff, pretty safe bet.  AND Paypal saw me looking and sent me $10 to buy them.  AND Merrell gave me 20% off just for visiting.

Well, tried to give me 20% off

The website blew right by the "confirm" to place order with no chance to enter the discount.

Got on the website chat today, no problem, they took the 20% off.

Good shoes, good company.

Sweet.

My wife is a Keen fan, and we generally just get a pair of the same model when she is ready for a new pair.  But damned if those mudder-effers didn't change the secret sauce recipe when they updated to the next version :(  Absolutely a step back for them but we'll see if the next pair is also a lemon.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Sweet.

My wife is a Keen fan, and we generally just get a pair of the same model when she is ready for a new pair.  But damned if those mudder-effers didn't change the secret sauce recipe when they updated to the next version :(  Absolutely a step back for them but we'll see if the next pair is also a lemon.

I do like the Keens also, but they are a bit pricier.  And I couldn't find any near enough what I was looking for to try on and know my size.

After hiking in real boots, I'll never go back to Timberlands and such

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, 12string said:

Well, ordered them.

Couldn't find the right hiking shoes anywhere around here, running out of time.

Ordered Merrells on line.  I know the size, I like their hiking stuff, pretty safe bet.  AND Paypal saw me looking and sent me $10 to buy them.  AND Merrell gave me 20% off just for visiting.

Well, tried to give me 20% off

The website blew right by the "confirm" to place order with no chance to enter the discount.

Got on the website chat today, no problem, they took the 20% off.

Good shoes, good company.

I also like ordering things I know when ordering online - the same size numbers can differ in actual product from one brand to another.

That's why I ordered Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, Wrangler, and Dr. Scholl's Diabetic Socks when I ordered from Amazon, taking advantage of Maryland's Tax Free Week for clothing and New Balance walking/training shoes on Amazon Prime Day.  I know which of their sizes work for me.

Hope they work for you. 

I bought some Merrill hiking boots at Sport Chalet about 5 years ago.  $125 and they fell apart within 6 months. 

I had only worn them to dinner and walking the mall. 

I  can imagine what would have happened had I actually used them for hiking on a trail.

I wore hiking boots for years for work that lasted much much longer.  More inexpensive models from $40 to $60. 

I thought the Merrill looked cool so I bought them but they really sucked. 😄

7 hours ago, Mr. Beanz said:

I bought some Merrill hiking boots at Sport Chalet about 5 years ago.  $125 and they fell apart within 6 months. 

@donkpow can take care of that for you, as an owner. I assume he just needs your SSN and bank account information, or your credit card number with CVV and expiration date to process your refund. Just post them here and we’ll get on that for you.

I have the Moab 2 goretex. They’ve held up well with real hiking use. Nearly 6 years old now.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve worn Merrill Moab for years with typically 2-3 years wear, but they are my daily walk around. As such, they are the shoe, not mid boot style - it’s Florida - and must be the water resistant/proof with morning dew in early morning hikes or nature photography. While I have a cheap pair of WalMarts, the old pair of Merrill’s get relegated to yard work, so typically have 2 pair at a time. Biggest problem I had was squeaking, needing ti inject glue as sole separated from last. But the fit like a glove. Then Merrill redesigned the shoe, dropping from 6 eyelets to 5 and just didn’t lace up to hold the fit so began looking around.

After trying many brand, many much less inexpensive, now wearing Keen Targhee. Very grippy - too much as climbing in the attic and had to change shoes to the WalMart cheapies that gave a much better feel of the ceiling joist. After a couple of years, noticed the right sole is wearing more than left but not near replacement. Admitted lighter use with the COVID restricted social activities. If replace with another pair on Keens will probably go down a half size.

14 hours ago, Mr. Beanz said:

Hope they work for you. 

I had only worn them to dinner and walking the mall. 

I  can imagine what would have happened had I actually used them for hiking on a trail.

I wore hiking boots for years for work that lasted much much longer.  More inexpensive models from $40 to $60. 

I thought the Merrill looked cool so I bought them but they really sucked. 😄

Merrell is really good about honoring their warranty, they would have replaced them.

After years of other brands, we stick to Merrel and Keen now for hiking.  I really liked the Keen Targhee, but couldn't remember what size.  The Moab is nice, but I like the rounded edge soles of the Chameleons.  I don't like wide flat soles.

Still need strap sandals, I should look at Salomons, forgot about them