Why would refer to person as "B"?

shootingstar

I'm a little puzzled.  THere will be a new employee joining another team. Not ours. But our team does interface often with other work group which has their own supervisor.

She's introduced the person as Brittany in an email announcement.  But she keeps referring to new employee as "B."   Is this a transgender identifier or ?  For sure, I don't perceive it as gay orientation because already we have a number of gay employees across the entire corporation, were a few have self-identified willingly in job profiles, etc.  

Maybe it’s a preference of the new person. I have a good friend named Zahreen. She goes by Zee simply because she hates when people mispronounce her name. 
The wife of an old friend goes by “Q”. Her first name is very common among our age. She uses the first letter of her maiden name to differentiate. 
Brittany is a common enough name that may be how she separates herself from the crowd. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, groupw said:

Maybe it’s a preference of the new person. I have a good friend named Zahreen. She goes by Zee simply because she hates when people mispronounce her name. 
The wife of an old friend goes by “Q”. Her first name is very common among our age. She uses the first letter of her maiden name to differentiate. 
Brittany is a common enough name that may be how she separates herself from the crowd. 

I had a teacher in HS that went by the name Ms. G. Because her last name was long or difficult to pronounce.

My English name is very plain, boomerish era and not common. I suppose I could notch it up by asking people to call me "J". Which to me, is a bit strange...because I own a beautiful Chinese name in Chinese with a lovely meaning. Translates as "Precious" or "Highly Treasured".  So to have that type of English nickname to me, is nearly laughable.

9 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Honest, in my world Brittany is not that common as a woman's name. 

When my wife and I got our first computer that was on the web we shared it. It was on dialup. Everything was new to us. I was on yahoo and downloaded yahoo messenger. I hadn’t used it for anything yet but some of my kids were on yahoo and I thought I might use it to message them. I went to work one night and when I got home my wife wanted to know who Brittany with no panties on is. She has been messaging you. I decided I didn’t really need yahoo messenger and deleted it. Yahoo has had a history of not being able to control their spam-bots.