Smile! You're Riding A Bike.

Razors Edge

Seriously - what's up with all the folks out there riding bikes or taking walks that are NOT SMILING?????  You are literally out doing one of the funnest and/or most positive things you'll do all day and you're NOT SMILING????  I get the lunatics running aren't having any fun, but if you're on a bike and not smiling, you're doing it wrong.  Same with a walk or hike.

That's all.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I wave to everyone, including runners and walkers.  I often say good morning.  Maybe 1/2 of the cyclists wave back.

Snobs

Half???  Damn, I wish half responded!

I say hi/howdy/hello to EVERY cyclist I past going in my direction.  Like - look at them and say it.  Usually even with a slowing of the pace.  I get about 10% or less to respond in ANY way, and maybe 5% will say hi back or exchange pleasantries. :(  This is road, MTB, hybrid, recumbent, etc riders.

Waving, nodding, or the like to folks coming the other way yields close to 30%-40% results.  Maybe a tad higher out on back roads.  Seriously, WTF is wrong with folks when you are out in the middle of nowhere and see another cyclist and DON'T respond to a wave????

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Seriously, WTF is wrong with folks when you are out in the middle of nowhere and see another cyclist and DON'T respond to a wave????

I saw another cyclist one time when I was riding in my area. She asked me if I rode this road often, it’s terrible. I said I live on this road.

I love watching kids riding bikes.  They are always smiling.

So update on CJ’s strider… Gramma found a Paw Patrol scooter on Offer Up and put him on it.  The handlebar wasn’t installed properly & collapsed and he ate sheot on it and is afraid of it.  Well the strider is the exact same color as the scooter so he’s afraid of it too…. He’s still too young for it, he can’t reach the ground with the seat all the way down so hopefully he warms to it over time.

I did fix his scooter tho, whoever put it together did a horse sheot job and shame on grandma for not inspecting it for safety first…

• Heart 1

46 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I wave to everyone, including runners and walkers.  I often say good morning.  Maybe 1/2 of the cyclists wave back.

Snobs

It is funny you say that.  I always wave and say good morning, most say hello back.  Bikes on the opposite side of the road I just wave.  Riding the same route back and forth to work, I regularly see the same cyclists.  There are some dicks that will wave to me or say good morning that will completely ignore me when I am on my rain bike.  I hate bike snobs

8 hours ago, Zephyr said:

There are some dicks that will wave to me or say good morning that will completely ignore me when I am on my rain bike.

In the interest of science, I'd suggest the following experiment:

Next time you see one of those who repeatedly ignore you on the rain bike, give them an angry face, flip them off, and see if they respond to that!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I love watching kids riding bikes.  They are always smiling.

Kids are hilarious - especially that 5-10 age where they are either smiling or HYPER-focused on doing a good job riding "with the grown ups".  Kids are generally in the 50+% wave/smile/react group.

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

@Mr. Beanz, what is your local experience. Do people look happy?

Not really.  I  see  about 50 percent that look pretty grumpy. 

Thing I don't understand is that many say the bike trail is boring.  I  enjoy it, trail, roads, riding up into the local mountains. 

I guess I just enjoy riding my bike more because it doesn't matter where I ride.  I just enjoy riding my bike. 

And I always nod or wave to passing cyclists whether on the trail,  road  or dirt. If I encounter 100 riders, you can bet I've waved 100 times. 

I'm just happy to be on my bike. 

• Awesome 1