3 days left of retirement

ChrisL

I got a call, last year, from my County's Board of Education asking if I wanted to return to teaching chemistry and physics in one of our county's 12 high schools, after 15 years in retirement - COVID had led to a lot of sudden teacher retirements.  I replied, "Deferring what I should have been paid up front as a pension means that I don't need the job now and you guys have watered-down the curriculum so much ever since No Child Left Behind that I'm sure you can find someone who will teach it without being disgusted with the lesson limitations."

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

21 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I got a call, last year, from my County's Board of Education asking if I wanted to return to teaching chemistry and physics in one of our county's 12 high schools, after 15 years in retirement - COVID had led to a lot of sudden teacher retirements.  I replied, "Deferring what I should have been paid up front as a pension means that I don't need the job now and you guys have watered-down the curriculum so much ever since No Child Left Behind that I'm sure you can find someone who will teach it without being disgusted with the lesson limitations."

They must be desperate if you've been retired for past 15 yrs.

A friend took up temporary supply teaching after being in early retirement for past 3 years.  She taught high school French for several decades.  Experienced French language teachers in an anglophone province (Ontario) would be valued.  She was also a dept. head for languages? for over a decade so she would have been very comfortable with the curriculum.

She did teach virtually and found it initially tiring. Sure. Pulled out of enjoyable retirement.

44 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I am glad you held back did not tell them what you really thought.  Plus you will not have time to teach once Dr. Mickins Erection Company takes off!  Sheds will be popping up all over the greater Maryland area.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I’m going to do some fishing in a bit, the tide bottoms out right now (7:30 AM Pacific) so will fish the incoming tide.  For the non fisher people tidal movement is key for inshore saltwater fishing, the fish don’t bite when the tide isn’t moving. No real plans for tomorrow & Friday.

Catch & release or catch & fish fry?

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

Enjoy fishing while you can. Are you fishing with fish chunks or shrimp? What are you targeting for? 

Plastics and I have some stripped squid. I started with the plastics but switched to squid & hooked up with this little guy immediately.  Caught another but he popped off before I could fish my phone out.

I fished the mouth of the Newport Harbor.  Great fishery for calico bass (what I caught), sand bass, croaker & halibut.  It’s better off a boat tho…B0C871BF-D344-41DA-B742-6E21253EACC6.thumb.jpeg.1ab52b8c1e8a0d42c3b10081712637bc.jpeg

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

The position has been vacant for several weeks and they needed me to start ASAP.  Also, part of me was thinking of the $$$$.  I will literally bank 10 weeks of severance which is an appealing thought. 

So double salary for 2.5 months?  As long as you are rested, this makes sense.   But cash doesn't do you any good if you have to spend it on health costs.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Dottles said:

So double salary for 2.5 months?  As long as you are rested, this makes sense.   But cash doesn't do you any good if you have to spend it on health costs.

My medical is also being covered for 12 weeks but we’ll switch to my wife’s plan.  Hers is really comparable to what I had. 

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

3 days left of retirement

Hmmm...  in my case that would mean I'd be dead in 3 days.

3 days left of vacation   may be more accurate.    Speaking of which... I hope you negotiated more vacation days than they offered?

Congratulations...  

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Plastics and I have some stripped squid. I started with the plastics but switched to squid & hooked up with this little guy immediately.  Caught another but he popped off before I could fish my phone out.

I fished the mouth of the Newport Harbor.  Great fishery for calico bass (what I caught), sand bass, croaker & halibut.  It’s better off a boat tho…B0C871BF-D344-41DA-B742-6E21253EACC6.thumb.jpeg.1ab52b8c1e8a0d42c3b10081712637bc.jpeg

I have the Knack for catching the big ones. I need to try saltwater one of these days. I have a 15 foot rod that I’ve been dying to use.

F1E9F072-DFE1-4AC8-AF80-20C21C01A3D3.jpeg

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

I have the Knack for catching the big ones. I need to try saltwater one of these days. I have a 15 foot rod that I’ve been dying to use.

F1E9F072-DFE1-4AC8-AF80-20C21C01A3D3.jpeg

I was fly fishing some nymph patterns trying to catch some sunfish and caught a small bass about that size.  Aggressive little buggers.

I fish medium action spinning with 4 lb test.  Nothing too heavy as the water is really clear & the fish are line shy.  I used to have a 15’ Whaler and would slay them drifting over the reed beds.  I can’t reach the reed beds from the rocks so fish structure.  

• Heart 2

32 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I was fly fishing some nymph patterns trying to catch some sunfish and caught a small bass about that size.  Aggressive little buggers.

I fish medium action spinning with 4 lb test.  Nothing too heavy as the water is really clear & the fish are line shy.  I used to have a 15’ Whaler and would slay them drifting over the reed beds.  I can’t reach the reed beds from the rocks so fish structure.  

I’m using 8lb Cajun red line. Totally invisible in the waters I fish. Does not matter how shy the fish are, they never see that line. 

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, jsharr said:

I am glad you held back did not tell them what you really thought.  Plus you will not have time to teach once Dr. Mickins Erection Company takes off!  Sheds will be popping up all over the greater Maryland area.

Glad you included that last sentence. I thought maybe he was using his chemistry skills to compete with little blue pills!