When it comes to cover tunes

BR46

A friend of mine is a drummer and he hates when a band doesn't play a song like the original.

I tell him that Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Van Halen all did covers and didn't play them like the original. They made them their own and became famous because of it.

• Heart 1

I like covers that go their own way. I have a friend whose band reinterprets songs all the time. Even songs they love to do may be completely different from one song to the next. He loves to play “Folsom Prison Blues” and my favorite version was a Cajun version!

His wife sings in the band. She does a cover of “Hound Dog” that is somewhere between Big Momma Thornton’s version and BB King’s “The Thrill is Gone”. We literally went from acquaintances to friends the first night they performed it. She’s not totally comfortable being featured or being in the spotlight, but she performs it whenever ever we are in the audience because they know we love it. I love watching jaws drop the first time they hear her sing it!

• Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, groupw said:

I like covers that go their own way. I have a friend whose band reinterprets songs all the time. Even songs they love to do may be completely different from one song to the next. He loves to play “Folsom Prison Blues” and my favorite version was a Cajun version!

His wife sings in the band. She does a cover of “Hound Dog” that is somewhere between Big Momma Thornton’s version and BB King’s “The Thrill is Gone”. We literally went from acquaintances to friends the first night they performed it. She’s not totally comfortable being featured or being in the spotlight, but she performs it whenever ever we are in the audience because they know we love it. I love watching jaws drop the first time they hear her sing it!

Video??

Like @Longjohn I really enjoy when a band or artist puts their own spin on something and it creates a whole new feeling. Good examples would be Johnny Cash doing "Hurt", Disturber's version of "The Sound of Silence", and Molly Hatchet's cover of "Dreams". One of my all time favorites is John Moreland singing Bruce Springsteen's "Thunder Road". BTW, We just saw Moreland perform Sunday night. It was amazing.

• Heart 3

In the case of Folsom Prison Blues, I like the Johnny Cash version better because the music slightly imitates the sound of a train - which is the subject of the song.  A hard rock version could do the same, so I'm not impressed with the Surreal McCoys version.