Your favorite dinner "snack" food?

Kirby

So on nights when you don't feel like cooking anything (and aren't going to order in for some reason), what do you have for dinner?  Cereal, popcorn, cheese and crackers, ice cream?    What's your go to meal, that's not really a meal?

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Man I can’t say I have one.  I can and like to cook so generally whip something up or just grab something out.  I don’t recall ever eating snacks for dinner.

I guess my examples are cooking for real.

Unless you consider standing in the kitchen eating 2 slices of thin proscuitto with flatbread.

• Heart 2

This time of year owl throw a couple ears of corn in the microwave for four minutes. I might make toast and throw a couple slices of tomato on it. I ate a lot of watermelon last night. I had a bunch of salmon packets from the Amish discount grocery. Those go real good on a tomato sandwich.

• Heart 1
  • Yum 2
  • Hugs 1

I'll nuke a bunch of frozen chicken nuggets and make cocktail sauce (ketchup, horseradish, lemon/lime juice) to eat with it.

I always have frozen Ore-Ida Crinkle Fries in the freezer for such occasions and, if I have the energy, put 6 oz. of them in the oven for 20+ min.

Otherwise chips with the nuggets.

Lately, I've been eating garden tomatoes with everything.  I'll never get tired of fresh garden tomatoes.  I also get 6 meals out of $4.99 Costco Rotisserie Chicken: 2 meals with a leg quarter and a wing,  Then I collect the breasts and all the carcass meat, put it in a quart Ziploc bag and weigh it.  I get between 18 oz and 26 oz.  That will make 4 meals with 4.5 to 6.5 oz of chicken per meal.  I make chicken stock then gravy from the carcass and spread the chicken on 3 slices of bread per meal.  Lately, the veggie to go with it is cherry tomatoes though Idahoan Instant Mashes Potatoes works great with the gravy.

161940037_ChickenGravyCherryTomatoes20220817_900p.thumb.jpg.afc6e13b12ebe4bb7847bb6ba0fd5a9b.jpg

• Heart 4

4 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I boil light / thin egg noodles, drain and add a bit of soy sauce and oil.

OR

I sautee noodles with 1 chopped up tomato and add in pesto sauce from jar in the mixture to heat.  Done.

OR

open up a small tin of sardines or herring in spring water. Eat. drained light noodles on side. Done.

1 and 2 fo’ sho’ but ix-nay on the ardines-say. :D

i LOVE egg noodles and that is my go to meal when the wife is away. Usually just with a little butter and salt is fine. And pasta puttanesca or siciliano or ariabate are all quick and easy and incredibly tasty and satisfying go tos also. :)

• Heart 2
  • Yum 1

2 hours ago, groupw said:

Cottage cheese and nacho Doritos 

I love using cottage cheese for a potato chip dip, but it does snot work well physically  - the dip is too heavy and slimy to readily stay on the thin and wispy chips. Maybe nachos grande style is better. Yours definitely sounds worth trying. 

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, goldendesign said:

Hummus and lightly toasted pita, feta cheese and olives. If I'm feeling fancy then I'll make some slices of cucumber, tomato and Hungarian peppers over olive oil too.

eQzZ0Qz808x-hz-I0J1XGtURZ2WEeUe3w8A_MxJ8vMMn5DB8KxJhgoAyzAph-9X8ETX5pW1Xg9xl1YiU1w90Sr5ObUtrK1rmmnn0v6kiNhbaiRKCMl1n29w7ApBgsE8JvzKB1DthzFnC60L4vgZ9MNXi5YBCGS7jbehHuWu-Pz67kUG8-nIwSrgJnDz6XeTG5uqMkJKsXhnoSfkU-Idvwl9WLIdU9ZgMQ0OnCOmqM2uhyK1E7e90Fqv8NBLCy6p0J6uFsQCn3VoV4yDt-DRR-OIT5EPZDYiwM_hDSc5E6QdwYr9LYlTgRLC7_vHq2ouXArBY9v-64IreTOIUW9Z8lqKQ00qt--OvPBimUMliCfnsiLM22iQCvRskisJVnDvxsVwZ9pzXQjkHRQRxU8rs2PGBUdNTPw2ChaAUAYR4PAMYq3dN_od5ZRN2HZxPjB4J85CqyUPYgT3qZ2EyP_e_CeyVOItqxlwgiIa9XOyLpur9vhLLN6H_nHR7SsPCZ3CNTAY9R7ovwrVx8u8HQMzzMGLZulAV3T1IaWd8_hkamHpIrD-3SkBXaaT8sNKHenhsW-qOFi9DV4fy_pNSocw-swpg2dk4S7grTAr-Ar_MgliTScGPDqoTXNboWConBjhY-GswwOv6z2Axq3P1RR60RVIrDXMT3w-ziYQgypB_k8WZK2BYvRdQuGKq7D7CGY9ndDiaOVNLIthS-iQjY8VS6kJisL2JHB8Y9gCVlN1UFD-LUSzcbHImE8n19fG-bBQQr6vZG26Sis1njEFSyWwZwYQXY4KpzCa9v1Eo=w1064-h480-no?authuser=1

Was actually my lunch today. Add a bit of lentil madras and I'm set to break my fast and seize the day!

• Yum 1