At a car dealer

Square Wheels

The wife's Tesla is making a creaking noise.  Brought it in for service.  The place is deserted.  The sales section is currently closed.  The showroom floor has exactly 0 cars.  There are maybe a dozen in the lot, I didn't walk around, but I suspect many are used.

The waiting area for service is nice, very spacious.  There are unused offices, huge, that you can use.  Just write your name on the outside so they can find you.  I'm sitting in one now, I have a call at 9, this way I won't bother the other 1 or 2 people here.

Kinda creepy.  The last time I was at a Tesla dealer was when she bought it a few years ago.  It was absolute chaos.  I am sure the number of people in the building far exceeded the fire occupancy.

The world has changed so much.

• Heart 3

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

The wife's Tesla is making a creaking noise.  Brought it in for service.  The place is deserted.  The sales section is currently closed.  The showroom floor has exactly 0 cars.  There are maybe a dozen in the lot, I didn't walk around, but I suspect many are used.

The waiting area for service is nice, very spacious.  There are unused offices, huge, that you can use.  Just write your name on the outside so they can find you.  I'm sitting in one now, I have a call at 9, this way I won't bother the other 1 or 2 people here.

Kinda creepy.  The last time I was at a Tesla dealer was when she bought it a few years ago.  It was absolute chaos.  I am sure the number of people in the building far exceeded the fire occupancy.

The world has changed so much.

I appreciate your research, but I am leaning towards the Subaru.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Upper control arm on driver's side.  They also replaced the passenger side because they've seen when one goes the other goes shortly after.  There is a cabin camera.  It was recently activated.  No idea what it's supposed to do, but it's given a few errors.  They replaced that too.

Car is just over 3 years old, still under warranty, cost = $0 (USD).

• Awesome 2

7 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

There were far less cars on the lots locally.  Used cars have insame markups.  Eh, e just bought a new van with all the goodies we want.

6 hours ago, Longjohn said:

The Ford dealer in Grove City has so many new pick em up trucks on his lot if he got any more he would have to start stacking them.

And I am hoping the used market holds up as it almost makes up for "no discount of MSRP" on new. It doesn't make up for the bogus dealer add-ons or "market adjustment" surcharge that dealers are making with existing inventory. That is the reason I am looking at custom ordering, but the used car value has to hold up during the 4-6 month build delivery time.

Waiting for Ford to re-open the order book on the Escape or Maverick Hybrids. No particular affinity to Ford, and if I was getting a 1500 truck would be GM or Ram with the 3.0L diesel. While incentives are very limited on all cars, I cut through the game with Ford's X-Plan eligibility (two military organizations I belong to) which gives me special pricing just below dealer invoice in addition to any other incentives Ford may be offering. Participating dealers historically would apply to existing stock, but they have pulled back and now custom order only. Also, it is dependent on participating dealers and the one local on was only accepting custom orders under the plan for past customers - and even being a past customer from their franchise in a neighboring city didn't qualify me - so to New Smyrna Beach I go. X-Plan also neutralizes that dealer's "no dealer fee" advantage as it caps the fee at $100 which can be as high as $1000 in Florida (highest in the nation). Chevy and Ram don't have similar programs. 

Most people don't realize they quailfy for X-Plan, but in my research stumbled on a senario where virtually everyone qualifies - albeit with a 90 day wait for the benefit. Yes, it is limited to membership in an organization, one of which happens to be the Mustang Club/forum. You don't have to actually own a Mustang, just be a (fake) enthusiast and join the club for $35 Digital (not the $25 Associate) membership and the benefit becomes active after 90 days membership. I am eligible through membership in DAV (Disabled American Veterans) and Veterans Advantage which is a paid buying discount program that one purchase, like 5% off airline tickets or 10% off Apple computers more than pays the fee.

7 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

There were far less cars on the lots locally.  Used cars have insame markups.  Eh, e just bought a new van with all the goodies we want.

High used car prices often occur when new car sales drop.

Before I bought my 2013 Honda Fit, I was finally going to "wise up" and buy a used one since the 2009-13 models were virtually identical and every one was selected as Consumer Reports "Best Bang for the Buck" car and one of the "most fun to drive."

But the typical price for a Base Automatic 2011 Honda Fit with 35K miles was $17,600.  I got a new 2013 Honda Fit with pinstripes and mudflaps thrown in for $18,000.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am at the dealership now. We are buying a Subaru cross trek.  There are plenty of cars here to sell.  We got a decent deal on a stick shift. Apparently, people can't drive one. This was returned because the buyer could not drive one. 😂

16608601196851069089963652111972.jpg

Are there any teeth left on the gears? How is the clutch?

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am at the dealership now. We are buying a Subaru cross trek.  There are plenty of cars here to sell.  We got a decent deal on a stick shift. Apparently, people can't drive one. This was returned because the buyer could not drive one. 😂

16608601196851069089963652111972.jpg

Sounds fun.