Is anyone watching this NFL preseason silliness?

Dottleshead

Yeah I watched most of the Rams game and plan to do so for the rest of the pre season.  The Rams don’t play starters but I do enjoy watching the younger guys play & see what the future holds.  

I also enjoy preseason baseball for the same reason.  The starters usually get lifted by the 5th inning and then the kids get to play. 

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The Rams don’t play starters but I do enjoy watching the younger guys play & see what the future holds.  

This in my view is about the only argument to watch.  It used to be that our second and third string players were better than the other teams second and third string starters.  The only problem is their first time kicked our first teams butt.  That changed in the Carroll/Schneider era but mostly I don't care. Preseason games look like high school games on steroids.

• Heart 1

Preseason games no longer feature the regular season starters unless there's competition for a position or one is coming back from an injury.

The someone valid argument is that they avoid getting hurt and lost for the season - like the close-call with the Jets' QB Zach Wilson in preseason week 1.

The non-valid argument is that they don't really need the preseason.  So many QB's and WR's last year looked rusty and played awful for the first couple weeks of the regular season last year.

Just now, Bikeguy said:

I quit before that....  but Kaepernick (and others since then) confirmed my decision to never watch another game. 

Well there's two ways to think about it.  You reclaimed your weekends and don't spend your time wasting it in front of a TV watching a meaningless game.  Or you now have 3-12 hours on your weekend you need to fill up with crap.

Just now, Dottles said:

I unfortunately caught some of that game on TV as I was out eating a burrito.  Dreadful.  Absolutely dreadful and we lost our starting guard for the season.  Next week we fly into Dallas.  @jsharr I don't think I can do it.  I don't think I can watch.  One word:  TRASH

7 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Preseason games no longer feature the regular season starters unless there's competition for a position or one is coming back from an injury.

The someone valid argument is that they avoid getting hurt and lost for the season - like the close-call with the Jets' QB Zach Wilson in preseason week 1.

The non-valid argument is that they don't really need the preseason.  So many QB's and WR's last year looked rusty and played awful for the first couple weeks of the regular season last year.

I suppose it depends on the coaches, players & how they practice but Sean McVay hasn’t played a  projected starter in the preseason since he arrived in LA.  The Rams haven’t been sluggish to start their seasons but many criticized the methodology at first.  Now he’s considered a trend setter… 

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I suppose it depends on the coaches, players & how they practice but Sean McVay hasn’t played a  projected starter in the preseason since he arrived in LA.  The Rams haven’t been sluggish to start their seasons but many criticized the methodology at first.  Now he’s considered a trend setter… 

But he has combined practices.  Probably more productive that pre-season games.

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, scottwantstoride said:

I use to like pre-season but they wait until the 3rd pre-season game before they even play any starters.  I get it that it is to evaluate people trying to make the team but not seeing some of the key players is always disappointing.

Hi Scott. Nice to see a fresh face!  Who do you root for?  I’ve been a Bills fan since before OJ Simpson was drafted. Some brilliant moments and lots of gut wrenching losses. One of our fellow posters likes to remind me about Wide Right as often as he can. 

Two Saturdays from tomorrow and the Sunday after, I have to take part in three fantasy football drafts at CBS Sports, Yahoo Fantasy, and NFL.com.

But there's not much to learn about players worthy of being drafted in the preseason games!

So I have to look at training camp reports, site ratings, etc. to find out if guys going high in fantasy drafts like McCaffrey and Henry, who were injured last year, are likely to make it through this whole season.  I had pick #1 and took McCaffrey in one draft last year and ended up with him being out of most games. The problem with winning the random drawing for 1st pick in the first round (and all other odd-number rounds) is your next pick is the last pick in the 2nd round (and all even rounds), so if your first pick doesn't work out, almost 2 dozen of the top players are grabbed before you can pick again. I'll probably take Taylor is he's available, but running backs are always an injury worry and Kupp had 1947 yds receiving and 16 receiving TD's last year and much less likely to be injured.  On the other hand, the list of excellent RB's is much less than excellent WR's.

image.png.589ba39b8764afed979b62e1ffa045c0.png image.thumb.png.47f652b46d16d5c179cbf041570995e7.png

19 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Two Saturdays from tomorrow and the Sunday after, I have to take part in three fantasy football drafts at CBS Sports, Yahoo Fantasy, and NFL.com.

But there's not much to learn about players worthy of being drafted in the preseason games!

So I have to look at training camp reports, site ratings, etc. to find out if guys going high in fantasy drafts like McCaffrey and Henry, who were injured last year, are likely to make it through this whole season.  I had pick #1 and took McCaffrey in one draft last year and ended up with him being out of most games. The problem with winning the random drawing for 1st pick in the first round (and all other odd-number rounds) is your next pick is the last pick in the 2nd round (and all even rounds), so if your first pick doesn't work out, almost 2 dozen of the top players are grabbed before you can pick again. I'll probably take Taylor is he's available, but running backs are always an injury worry and Kupp had 1947 yds receiving and 16 receiving TD's last year and much less likely to be injured.  On the other hand, the list of excellent RB's is much less than excellent WR's.

image.png.589ba39b8764afed979b62e1ffa045c0.png image.thumb.png.47f652b46d16d5c179cbf041570995e7.png

Kupp had a fantastic year but being a longtime Rams fan I have seen that he does get banged up often. He’s a possession receiver who is also good with after the catch yards.  So he gets hit a lot and hard.  Last year was an outlier for Kupp in that he mostly avoided injury.  I think that’s why Rams brass added Allen Robinson and will likely bring back OBJ.  

I’d temper expectations on Kupp having another year like last year. 

I watched the Redskins (whoops - everyone here still calls them that, "Commanders" being considered a stupid name) Commanders at the Chiefs because both teams starting QB's, Wentz and Mahomes, played at least a quarter.

Mahomes chewed up the Skins, 2 TD's in just over a quarter.

Wentz looked lost.  I'm wondering if he's lost his confidence or if he's just too short on football smarts to adapt to new systems.  He was great with the Eagles until they changed offensive systems.  Then he didn't fit in with the Colts.

Heinicke looked good! He QB'd the Skins last year and wasn't awful considering the mostly-awful line and healthy skill players he had to work with.

I wonder if Wentz will be benched at some time during the season - they'll probably announce a fake injury to save face like the Ravens did with Kyle Boller when they decided to start Joe Flacco in his rookie year.