Tossing applications out all over

KrAzY

The best time to look for a job is when you already have one. That way you don't have to make a rash decision based on money needs.

My son says that he starts looking for a new job shortly after starting a new job. That way if the job sucks, he's already ahead of the game. If the job is good, he still looks just to see if there's anything better out there. He's been at his current job for 7 years now and is starting to get bored.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, KrAzY said:

I have fully decided today after a meeting that I will not be working much longer where I am now. It was a good job fir 6 years, and still would be if the company actually cared about taking care of their issues. Soooo today I start hitting the job wanted sites, and submitting where I can. 
For now I am going to focus on gov jobs in the city I live and surrounding cities. Figure I can drive almost anything with or without wheels, not scared of heights, have a wild background for miscellaneous type of work experience, and love to hunt. Wonder if I should go for the critter getter job (Animal control officer), or heavy equipment operator... 

Who wants to be my downfall and be a reference. 

I was amazed to learn that our organization has a full-timer veternarian.  He does spaying of pets, etc.  

We have bylaw officers (2  levels below police officer) who do write tickets for violations and bike around 50% of the yr. for monitoring certain infractions in parks, pathways, etc.   Criminal offences are not bylaw specific and point to federal criminal code for arrest by police officer. A few weeks ago, local resident was killed by 3 large pet dogs from neighbour....it was horrifying and made news for days. Bylaw officers (our staff) were involved but also required police and paramedics because someone died. It's shocking only 1 dog was put down..not other 2.  

Case has angered some internal staff because our municipality had tried to outlaw or put additional controls for, certain breeds of dogs in the past.  This is a an ongoing issue.  

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I was amazed to learn that our organization has a full-timer veternarian.  He does spaying of pets, etc.  

We have bylaw officers (2  levels below police officer) who do write tickets for violations and bike around 50% of the yr.  Criminal offences are not bylaw specific and point to federal criminal code for arrests by police officer. A few weeks ago, local resident was killed by 3 large pet dogs from neighbour....it was horrifying and made news for days. Bylaw officers was involved but also required police and paramedics because someone died. It's shocking only 1 dog was put down..not other 2.  

Case has angered some internal staff because our municipality had tried to outlaw or put additional controls for, certain breeds of dogs in the past.  This is a an ongoing issue.

wow that is surprising that only one dog was put down. I wonder if the dog was the main aggressor and the others were found to be just included and passed the temperamental evaluations given. I don't believe putting additional controls on certain breeds. All dogs are good dogs, and it mainly fulls upon the owner not understanding the breed or being able to read the body language of the critter. Well that my thought on it. Only because I know for a fact that all three of our dogs are considered "dangerous" breeds and yet they just want love from everyone.. except Pandora.. she is an asshole when you first meet her. but she is just guarding us from everyone. We learnt that if she is out and about and someone comes over.. she will growl and bark, but if she in in her crate at first and she sees that the person is no problem, she will come and be as friendly as the rest of our dogs. 

The critter getter position is ran by our local law enforcement. it's a couple steps down from acting officer, no no packing heat for me... well technically not, but I still could due to Texas laws while on the job.. just cant use it on a critter.. but I would look forward to the air powered riffle for tranquilizers :)

We had a dog attack a person a few months ago down the street from us.. the dog has always been known as a problem.. I hear it is still at the house and kicking, just does not go out for walks anymore. 

12 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

wow that is surprising that only one dog was put down. I wonder if the dog was the main aggressor and the others were found to be just included and passed the temperamental evaluations given.

Some of our bylaw officers probably have enough stories dealing with some owners and dog(s) that would make one's hair stand up.  

Our organization actually has an internal database which includes pet violation info. and photos...as evidence. Alot bigger than expected, but then we are a large municipality. They asked our team to have it setup so they could search files better, they needed one set up. The recent incident only emphasized the criticality of documented evidence provided by bylaw officers.

Yes of course, certain cases go to court.

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I think I know of a job opening, but you have to be ok with lots of needles and blood.

I'm good if I have to jab someone with needles, but not good if I'm getting blood drawn. I do like getting tattoos though :)

22 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Well then, there you go!

You should start applying for all the openings that list 'Help Wanted' for dialysis clinic tattoo artists.  :nodhead:

Nah.. I don't like people. is there something in the cadaver unit? 

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd like the tree grinding job.  Not truly heavy equipment like a bulldozer, but damn, those chippers are a blast!

that would be fun to chuck logs into it, but I want something more fun and destructive. 

4 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

that would be fun to chuck logs into it, but I want something more fun and destructive. 

I had college buddies who were engineers.  First gig out of college was to test things to failure.  They were amazed they got paid to break shit and figure out why it broke!   If I was smarter, I could do that, maybe.  

• Heart 3

34 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I had college buddies who were engineers.  First gig out of college was to test things to failure.  They were amazed they got paid to break shit and figure out why it broke!   If I was smarter, I could do that, maybe.  

I could do the breaking part

• Heart 1

55 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I never went to real college, but I am good at breaking stuffs. I don't care what made it break, just like to push stuff to their limits of failure.. 

• Heart 2

On 8/18/2022 at 6:20 PM, KrAzY said:

heavy equipment operator... 

Dude, if you have your CDL, they are going bonkers around here for folks to drive trucks.  $100k sitting on your butt???  And listening to podcasts?  We just got an email telling us our garbage service was missed on Fri due to driver shortages.  They're in competition with all the other CDL-requiring jobs, so pay is still going up.

• Heart 1

On 8/19/2022 at 4:52 PM, jsharr said:

They were amazed they got paid to break shit and figure out why it broke!   If I was smarter, I could do that, maybe.  

I've only broke a few things in my day (on purpose). Typically thread shearing on valve bodies. It was interesting, because threads have a max torque needed to seal, and also so some jackhole doesn't snap off the valve. So we had to design the valve body's cross section w/ a safety margin. And we determined we had to move the wrench flats closer to the thread because the bending moment could cause deformation if not installed correctly ;)  Cool shit IMO.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Dude, if you have your CDL, they are going bonkers around here for folks to drive trucks.  $100k sitting on your butt???  And listening to podcasts?  We just got an email telling us our garbage service was missed on Fri due to driver shortages.  They're in competition with all the other CDL-requiring jobs, so pay is still going up.

Does a CDL with Class A hazmat count.. Yes I have it, but I need rectified for hazmat. I can say out of everything I have done in life, driving truck was not the best. I was on the road way too much and never home with the family. Lucky for me the wife told me it does not matter how long it takes, but find something I want to do. 
I have been putting in applications at the cities and surrounding cities that I'm qualified for, filling out one now that is for a K9 handler at the airport, and also decided with my other skills to try at the application for a zoo keeper. I'm extremely versatile due to all my past experiences and credentials. 

• Heart 4

18 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Lucky for me the wife told me it does not matter how long it takes, but find something I want to do. 

Seriously, that's something you should take seriously and aim for.  Likewise, though, if you can find a "good" job (maybe not perfect), that allows you to have a proper work/life balance AND leave the BS of the office at the office, then that will be a game changer.  You'll find something that makes sense for you, and looking across a lot of areas seems like it will also give you some sense of all the possibilities in front of you.  Definitely a chance for finding some that feels better than the last place.  

• Heart 2

9 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Seriously, that's something you should take seriously and aim for.  Likewise, though, if you can find a "good" job (maybe not perfect), that allows you to have a proper work/life balance AND leave the BS of the office at the office, then that will be a game changer.  You'll find something that makes sense for you, and looking across a lot of areas seems like it will also give you some sense of all the possibilities in front of you.  Definitely a chance for finding some that feels better than the last place.  

The wife and I been talking, she wants me to select carefully what or where I go with this next position. She told me to only apply for things I want and know I love at heart. I want to get back into community and explosives or fire related stuffs. 

9 hours ago, 2Far said:

I'd guess that it take a while to get a gummit job, the bigger the gummit, the longer it takes.

I just filled out an application for a gummit K9 handler for WMD.. :)
Figured I got the qualifications for it.. why not

5 hours ago, Airehead said:

Did you send your letter yet?

Yes, and They will not look at talk to me. Basically I screwed them hard. BUT they did it to themselves.. they really thought that I would stay and take the abuse from them, and that I NEEDED a job... silly people. Maybe I should have explained I use the name Krazy
I figured out my last day is on the 2nd, On the 5th everything I been working on changes over for sales (about 5k tags and all new signage goes up in the store), also there is going to be a corporate store walk for marketing on the 9th. Over the last 6 year I have been there, not one person tried to learn wha tI do there. They just knew to let me go and let me get stuff done, and everything will be taken care of. 
Today they posted my position for someone to come in and take over. The last application date is on the 4th. That means I can not even train someone to fulfill my position and that person will be walking into a total shitshow.  

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

On 8/22/2022 at 5:26 PM, Razors Edge said:

$20k signing bonus here. My neighbor just switched to a  food service close by. He wants to ride his bike to work

lots of local CDL jobs. You'd be on the extra board at the start until you get better seniority. But if that doesn't speak to you I inderstand

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, KrAzY said:

The wife and I been talking, she wants me to select carefully what or where I go with this next position. She told me to only apply for things I want and know I love at heart. I want to get back into community and explosives or fire related stuffs. 

Changing jobs is a PITA and requires time & effort, so it makes a lot of sense to try to get it right the first time and pick the job that is the best match for you across your important areas - work/life balance, pay, benefits, commute, variety of work, respect, coworkers, challenge, creative outlet, service, fun, experience, etc..  You might find that tomorrow or three months from now, but if your wife is good with it and you are doing the legwork & reflection, then it will come to you. 

14 hours ago, KrAzY said:

Today they posted my position for someone to come in and take over. The last application date is on the 4th. That means I can not even train someone to fulfill my position and that person will be walking into a total shitshow.  

They may scrape by with a transfer from another store.  Those folks likely beg, borrow, and steal from each other to even out the load a bit.  In prior jobs that had different branches, it was regular for us to help out other offices. Sometimes it was nice to have that "other side of the fence" perspective - either helping out elsewhere or having an outsider come help us.

8 hours ago, Scrapr said:

$20k signing bonus here. My neighbor just switched to a  food service close by. He wants to ride his bike to work

lots of local CDL jobs. You'd be on the extra board at the start until you get better seniority. But if that doesn't speak to you I inderstand

Yeah - obviously, some CDL jobs are local with regular hours and regular routes. Trash guys for sure, but also tons of things like dump trucks or buses.  In any case, it's a wide open market for all sorts of jobs, but there is often a reason the specific job is "open" since it can mean someone either retired - or more likely - left to "greener" pastures.   If the business was doing things properly - including paying attention to staff retention - they would not have much churn.  But when there is a lot of churn, there is opportunity (OT, ability to advance, etc), but it also means management has or had some real issues.