Power washing my driveway...

Bikeguy
Go to solution Solved by Razors Edge,

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Power washing, like lawn mowing, can be very therapeutic as it is a clear "accomplishment" when completed.

And I get to use my gas power washer.  :)   It already has lasted longer then the last 2 electric power washers I used at my old home.    The only bad thing... it's LOUD.. hearing protection helps a LOT.  It does a great job.   2.8 gallons of water per minute for 2 1/2 hours.  My well must have a good supply of water.

image.thumb.png.2dae568cd64c7d3cf15c8b5a54ae347b.png

• Heart 2

17 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

The picture below is from 2 days ago.    The last time I power washed the driveway was 14 months ago.   I finished that today.     Next is a sidewalk to our front door and the paver brick walkway and patio at the rear of the home. 

I never knew just how dirty it was from tree sap, etc... until I started to clean the driveway.  

This part took 2 days, working only  2 1/2 hours per day.    Hey I'm old...  and I didn't want to run the well for more than that.  The well has never run dry, and I don't want to find out if it can run dry.  The entire driveway took about 9 1/2 hours to clean.  

(My old home we could run the well dry.   I was more than happy to pay to connect my old home to city water when that was possible. )

image.thumb.jpeg.e8aa0f96a6dfdb28c04b738eb747a155.jpeg

My BiL has a power washer and I wonder how it would do on my cement porch and since-1948 sidewalks?

I may try it for fun.

• Heart 1

Hopefully you had the circular power washer attachment. That is the only way to power wash flat concrete surfaces like driveways and sidewalks. The regular nozzle takes so much tine and precision, but can always use them for cleaning the edges that the circular can't reach.

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, 12string said:

In related news, the Colorado River is now empty, investigators are trying to figure out who used it all

;).

35 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Illinois cross drilled to tap into the Colorado. :)

6 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Likewise, the River Jordan

8 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Hopefully you had the circular power washer attachment. That is the only way to power wash flat concrete surfaces like driveways and sidewalks. The regular nozzle takes so much tine and precision, but can always use them for cleaning the edges that the circular can't reach.

Only the regular nozzle.  :(   That's why it took sooooo long.    But... I took my time and got it all done. 

Yeah... I need to buy the circular power washer attachment before next year.  

On 8/19/2022 at 12:01 PM, Tizeye said:

Hopefully you had the circular power washer attachment.

I ordered my power washer surface cleaner.  :)   Google found me a list of 'the best' surface cleaners.   This wasn't my first choice, which I could only find on Amazon.  (I don't buy from Amazon, unless it is the ONLY choice)   

I also purchsed a extension for my wand.   I'm tall and I got tired of being slightly bent over to get the nozzle close enough to the concrete to do a good job. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll guess this will make the job go considerably quicker next year. 

image.thumb.png.59153b603fc46006c6a8e816c5655eb4.png

5 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I ordered my power washer surface cleaner.  :)   Google found me a list of 'the best' surface cleaners.   This wasn't my first choice, which I could only find on Amazon.  (I don't buy from Amazon, unless it is the ONLY choice)   

I also purchsed a extension for my wand.   I'm tall and I got tired of being slightly bent over to get the nozzle close enough to the concrete to do a good job. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll guess this will make the job go considerably quicker next year. 

image.thumb.png.59153b603fc46006c6a8e816c5655eb4.png

Yes. Definitely need the long arm. Looking at the I think I use to have the Simpson which lasted a couple of seasons but was the red plastic version. From the illustration, I know the sprinkler design is the same. It gave way at the turning joint as water spewed out there. Replaced it with the Karcher that has a much heavier jet system and no problems. Home Depot apparently carries both and about the same price. Lowes was slightly less on the Karcher, but more on the Simpson. May want to take a look at them in the store.

• Thank You 1