I don't usually fight back, but...

Square Wheels
Go to solution Solved by Dottleshead,

1 hour ago, groupw said:

I participated in a few of his threads sometimes against my better judgement. But I would usually say my thoughts and get out. There was still some “not right” vibe going on. 
I was reading the verbose thread and figured he didn’t understand what it meant. We tease @MickinMD and @shootingstar, but I generally enjoy their threads. Hell, I know I get verbose sometimes! But the thread was closed before I could read the main meltdown. Probably just as well. 

Yes, but you get verbose in all the right places.  Keep that up and I'm going to hit on you.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

I’m sorry for the role my comment played in this. I thought it was tongue-in-cheek. Most of you probably knew it was kerosene on a smoldering pile. 

No apology needed from my perspective.  No one should insult anyone’s family in any way. I obviously missed some posts because I would have come out swinging on behalf of your loved ones. 

I am going to refrain from other comments. 

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

8 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

he's not here to defend himself - I do feel it's a little unfair for that reason, but he lost the privilege to be here.

I think you have the right to express your opinions and emotional responses to what transpired. It’s your forum. He’s got his own venue for expressing himself, and he’s not showing any such restraint. So I wouldn’t give it much further thought.

• Heart 2

I'm mixed on this as ever. I think, for sure, supporting and defending Mosey or others is the right thing to do.  Pure and simple, that sort of nonsense is wrong.  

Of course, as "humans", we also ALL make a lot of shitastic mistakes in life.  Ones that are typewritten and preserved for future analysis are really tough to wiggle out of or correct post writing them.  It creates a place (the internet) where you either back down (and look weak) or double down (and go apeshit).  There IS a middle ground, but we've seen that erode in public life quite quickly these days.

I'll miss any former members' "normal" stuff - especially cycling related - but obviously, you can't easily keep self-destructive rants from occurring and needing to respond to them.

I've seen as bad comments by and directed at folks here quite a few times and still those folks are active members, but I think "cooling off" is generally enough to reset them for a while.  I don't know that it works with everyone though, and we lost another poster who I usually - not always - enjoyed reading posts from.  But I'm a sucker for posts about cycling and posts about SoCal, so now I just have @ChrisL to fill that niche again. 

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm mixed on this as ever. I think, for sure, supporting and defending Mosey or others is the right thing to do.  Pure and simple, that sort of nonsense is wrong.  

Of course, as "humans", we also ALL make a lot of shitastic mistakes in life.  Ones that are typewritten and preserved for future analysis are really tough to wiggle out of or correct post writing them.  It creates a place (the internet) where you either back down (and look weak) or double down (and go apeshit).  There IS a middle ground, but we've seen that erode in public life quite quickly these days.

I'll miss any former members' "normal" stuff - especially cycling related - but obviously, you can't easily keep self-destructive rants from occurring and needing to respond to them.

I've seen as bad comments by and directed at folks here quite a few times and still those folks are active members, but I think "cooling off" is generally enough to reset them for a while.  I don't know that it works with everyone though, and we lost another poster who I usually - not always - enjoyed reading posts from.  But I'm a sucker for posts about cycling and posts about SoCal, so now I just have @ChrisL to fill that niche again. 

Keep in mind this isn't his first meltdown.  He's been banned here before, and I made the bad call of letting him back in.  He usually follows up my polite requests for cooling off with horrific rants by PM.

• Heart 3

He's definitely wound too tight and I, too, feel sorry for him.

With all the problems in the world, this site is a refuge and comfort and yes, we tease each other, but it's always friendly and very often people go out of their way to be helpful and I'm grateful for that!

If you want an example people really trying to destroy reputations, think back to the old LF forum.

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1

You know, we all eventually show our hands in this great celestial poker game. One can only bluff for so long. Eventually someone calls it. 

I’ve witnessed several of these blow ups over the years. (I did not witness this one) It seems to me, in retrospect, that the volatility was always there. 

I always hope that cooler heads prevail. 

@Square Wheels, stay the course. The higher road is always the better way. 

Peace.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Keep in mind this isn't his first meltdown.  He's been banned here before, and I made the bad call of letting him back in.  He usually follows up my polite requests for cooling off with horrific rants by PM.

At the time it seemed like a good call and once we discovered who he was, you did let him know a condition of his staying here was based on his civil behavior.  

He blew it, not you. 

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Squarewheels would start those kind of threads to call out the members in a funny and playful way.  It was like a Mr. Rogers moment.  That is always how it felt to me.  I think he called me out for something embarrassing in one of those threads through the years.  It was like poking a sibling.  Possibly we should try and not be wound so tight.  I think he made fun of me for losing my clothes after a commute.  Eh, the stories were ridiculous.  :D

The comment I wanted to make was if 9 oot of 10 people take a comment in fun, just maybe that is the appropriate way to interpret it. But it was probably too late for that, the fuse was lit. :(
I keep telling this story, but I sort of did the same thing when I made some joke aboot PEDs and a love forumite took great offense. I argued that I just aboot always post in jest and good fun, but he left anyhoo and I felt bad because I liked him. Reading into stuff is a dangerous game. 

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

The comment I wanted to make was if 9 oot of 10 people take a comment in fun, just maybe that is the appropriate way to interpret it. But it was probably too late for that, the fuse was lit. :(

Firecrackers burn down forests here.  I've been avoiding them for a long while.

• Heart 4

40 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

If he would have just highlighted the word and clicked on “look up” this all could have been avoided.

People do misinterpret the meaning of words and that misinterpretation is what they act on.  I think he read the definition the way he wanted to see it.  There was definitely a strong hint of societal disapproval in his post and that happens a lot these days.  People let themselves  become enraged over a simple difference of opinion. 

36 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I keep telling this story, but I sort of did the same thing when I made some joke aboot PEDs and a love forumite took great offense. I argued that I just aboot always post in jest and good fun, but he left anyhoo and I felt bad because I liked him. Reading into stuff is a dangerous game. 

The internet is for the thickest of skins, or at least medium skinned people.  I must admit it is difficult to pick up nuance in print form, absent all the visual cues that we evolved to process when interacting.  If you look for the worst in a post, you will find it.  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

The internet is for the thickest of skins, or at least medium skinned people.  I must admit it is difficult to pick up nuance in print form, absent all the visual cues that we evolved to process when interacting.  If you look for the worst in a post, you will find it.  

A forumite actually called that, said the thread was a skin thickness test.  Turned  oot to be incredibly prescient, if that word means what I think it does, and I hope it does!

:slow-dance-smiley:It does!  I still got it. :D

pre·scient
/ˈpreSH(ē)ənt/

adjective
adjective: prescient
  1. having or showing knowledge of events before they take place.
  • Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

At first I though Oh no, not this shit again, and I was very apprehensive

He had a few awkward steps along the way, threatening to leave at slights that were not perceivable to me. I figured I just didn’t know the backstory, but now I’d guess he was just looking for criticism.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

That re-entry was weird.  At first I though Oh no, not this shit again, and I was very apprehensive, but then Beanz won me over with many good and interesting posts.  Then he supernovad. :(

He and I had our moments before.  I had no interest in interacting with him when he returned.  I ignored most of his threads and most of his comments.  I only commented on one of his posts because I I thought it was out of line - and he jumped all over that.  Anyone who has gotten thrown out of his mother's house (by his mother) for posting nude pics of his wife on-line, talks about his wife's great boobs all over the interweb, cannot tell me he had no sexual connotation to his wife-swap thread.  I called him on it and he blew up (as you can see from his blog post).  That was the only interaction I had with him since his return.  I tried to avoid him like the COVID (other than that one call out).

It was only a matter of time and the clock bell has rung.

@MoseySusan commented on his ego (with a smiley).  But she was correct.  If egos could be verbose his ego would fill a couple volumes. (see what I did there?)

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

7 hours ago, scottwantstoride said:

Went to link and there is a part two to the rant and he’s added more colorful wording beyond. Well you know what 

Ableism and clearly stating he’s good with “attacking the transgender.” Bless his heart. 

• Heart 1

Well I missed the fun. I responded to him a few times but in general stayed away as his views on life were troubling to the way I view things. Incompatible. The most recent one where he was making profound belief that alcoholism isn't a sickness. I felt compelled to share my experience as a minor way to show that is far from true. He marginalized an entire group with some self-deflection and completely missed the point nor attempted to learn from the discussion.

In all the forums I've been privy too with him in it; I have found that to be continually true.

The post on his own blog was poorly worded, incoherent, and obviously unhinged. 

• Heart 2

• 1 year later...

That was an insane rant but he scratched on a few truths.  There are no innocents in the forum scraps. There is a posse mentality.  There are people who defend their posse without really examining the issues.  Welcome to the post 2016 world.