What do ya think I can get for my car

petitepedal

2 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

2012 Mazda 6. 125 000 miles..well cared for. :dontknow:

It’s really hard to say right now.  Do you have a Carmax near you?  They buy cars with no obligation to buy one of theirs.  They often beat out local dealers on buy backs. 

I had taken my Subie to Carmax for a quote and then took the quote to the dealership that had the car I wanted to buy.  They were really honest in that they couldn’t touch that offer and I was better off going back to Carmax. So we halted the process & they said they would hold the car, I sold the subie to Carmax and went back to the dealership.  The only dicey thing was I couldn’t transfer the carmax check so had to float a check for like $13K.  

13 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Lots of car valuation places on line.  Enter your VIN number, answer a few questions and Bob's Your Uncle, a price pops out.   I have a Kia that has gone up in value almost $2K in the last year.  Apparently it is low mileage for it's year....

I had a Deadwood Daewoo with low mileage for the same reason. It actually spent more time at the dealership than in my possession. It didn’t help the trade in value.

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I had a Deadwood Daewoo with low mileage for the same reason. It actually spent more time at the dealership than in my possession. It didn’t help the trade in value.

My 84 Daytona wasn’t worth shit after 5 years either. The electrical system was toast. Thank goodness I did at least enjoy the hell oot of the turbo and excellent handling with bigass Goodyear Eagle taars. 

One thing to weigh is whether selling/trading your car NOW (for a premium) is also worth the CONSIDERABLE premium of buying a new car now - especially with lower inventory options, possible wait times (or settling), and a near 100% likelihood the extra $1,000 or $2,000 you GET for the used vehicle is going to be LESS than the very likely $5,000 MORE you pay for the new vehicle.

IOW, the reason used cars are more "valuable" now is that new car are so much more expensive when paying MSRP+.

Sometimes you get more from an accident than a trade-in!

When my 1997 (base automatic) Ford Taurus was hit while parked Dec. 31, 2012, the Kelley Blue Book Value was $900 and it wasn't in great shape.  The bump on the rear fender was hardly noticeable but it caused the airbags to go off, putting hundreds of cracks in the windshield.  The cost of repair was greater than the blue book value so State Farm considered it totaled.

Then State Farm sent me a check for $2,900+ and I phoned them to see if there was a mistake.  I was told, "We take into consideration taxes, tags, dealer markup, etc., so you got the right amount."

I didn't point out that it would have cost less to repair the car, but loved the check: I had already been looking at the 2013 Honda Fit since before the accident and got mine on Jan. 8, 2013.  I probably would have gotten $2000 less for a trade in than I got from State Farm!

State Farm has been very, very, good to me over the years!