Help me decide what to do today

Longjohn

Bike or kayak? Yesterday’s kayaking kind of got messed up with an hour and a half thunderstorm. Today’s weather is supposed to be better but so was yesterday’s weather. I have 11 minnows left. They won’t keep another day. Maybe I should dump them in the creek?

I think I’ll take my panniers off my bike and stick my CO2 inflator somewhere else. I tend to carry too much junk with me when I ride. It’s ok for my normal rides but Pedal the lakes is coming up and I always stretch my ability on those rides. It snice if something comes up on a ride and I have something in my pannier to deal with it like a rain jacket, electrolyte drink, nutrition, cable lock. The road options have SAG support so I can try to travel light. The gravel ride has no SAG and no provided rest stops.

• Heart 3

2 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Tough call. I would probably tend to kayak again to use the minnows. Then a shorter bike ride later.

Does the kayak fit inside the crv or do you use a roof rack?

Roof racks, the bike fits inside. Are you thinking what I’m thinking?

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Bike or kayak? Yesterday’s kayaking kind of got messed up with an hour and a half thunderstorm. Today’s weather is supposed to be better but so was yesterday’s weather. I have 11 minnows left. They won’t keep another day. Maybe I should dump them in the creek?

I think I’ll take my panniers off my bike and stick my CO2 inflator somewhere else. I tend to carry too much junk with me when I ride. It’s ok for my normal rides but Pedal the lakes is coming up and I always stretch my ability on those rides. It snice if something comes up on a ride and I have something in my pannier to deal with it like a rain jacket, electrolyte drink, nutrition, cable lock. The road options have SAG support so I can try to travel light. The gravel ride has no SAG and no provided rest stops.

Go kayaking. 

I like my little top tube bag.  Not this one, but similar as the Diverge has a couple mounting points for the bag, so didn't need the version with the velcro stop on the bottom.  Anyway, it is handy and with a saddle bag (or the Diverge's hidden SWAT compartment instead), I can carry too much stuff without needing a pannier.  A rain jacket could easily be rolled tight and have a spot in a fork or under-down-tube bottle rack.  I went to just the SWAT (tube, CO2, etc) and the "gas tank" and took off the saddle bag.  For a longer unsupported event, the saddle bag could return for storage.

04784f5d-5684-4f0d-abeb-4da1e65393fc?siz   

Closer to mine:

91ea235e-4a46-49a6-9478-4339e772591b?siz

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

I once saw a guy with a t shirt that had a picture of someone riding next to a lawnmower sitting in tall grass, with the caption “Life is full of difficult decisions”. :D

I loved an old add for Titus Cycles where a teenaged kid is looking at a Junior College brochure with a look of WTF!?!?  And the Dad is in the background with a big smile.  The ad said something similar, that sacrifices had to be made or such. 

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I once saw a guy with a t shirt that had a picture of someone riding next to a lawnmower sitting in tall grass, with the caption “Life is full of difficult decisions”. :D

Decisions folks bring upon themselves.  The "need" to mow a lawn is a DIRECT result of wanting a lawn to mow :happyanim:

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I had a rear rack installed on my bike and bought this currently unavailable camera bag that I bungee-cord onto the rack.  The small pockets on each side are for my Topeak 31-function bike tool on one side and the other side for a snack.  The large section has a spare tube, various tools, and a couple fruit juice boxes in case I feel hypoglycemic.

image.thumb.png.26a2a3d99da2934bc21e04e888e5af5a.png

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

So wth did you do?

18 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

“Leave the bike, take the minnows.” A line from a very famous movie.

The minnows didn’t survive the night. Only two of them were still swimming around. I dumped the bucket on a Bush I recently transplanted and went for a bike ride. About 40 miles and 2,000 ft of climbing. The gravel roads are more horribler than usual, they have been messing them up working on them.

• Heart 2

8 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Okay, now I need to know...WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU BRINGING ON RIDES?!?!?!?!

:frantics:

Here is what I ended going with today. The panniers I took off had two extra bottles of water, a protein drink, a heavy cable lock that I almost never use a swimsuit and towel. A clear pair of glasses for night riding or going through tunnels. Two different sunblocks, one for my face and one for everything else. And five cliffbar type snacks. The bike climbed better without all that stuff.

FCE61682-5F6D-4EF0-BA47-5A02DC742ABE.jpeg.e55bf66926bae140e2d5e6d8e217e456.jpeg

• Heart 2

I finally got the heart rate monitor function to work on my Garmin. It hasn’t worked for about a year. I tried new battery in the chest strap, tried two other chest straps. Nothing worked. Then I got to thinking HR monitors don’t work very well until you start sweating. Mine didn’t work no matter how much I sweat. I don’t use any salt when I cook and don’t eat processed food, maybe my sweat isn’t salty enough? I put some salt in a bowl and added some water to it and rubbed it on my chest. The HR monitor started working immediately. It’s a wonder I don’t get cramps from lack of salt.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1