Any of you replace a laptop with a tablet?

ChrisL

WOChrisL’s tablet died and we have one of those Lenovo Yoga laptops but the hinge broke so it can’t be closed and the screen is loose.

I posed the idea as she really doesn’t do much on the laptop other than her banking & managing her budgets via google docs. The rest of it is surfing the net & social media.  We looked at some Apple tablets with a detachable soft keyboard and she’s open to the idea but thinks the tablet won’t have the memory she needs.

Anyone do this or have thoughts on if it would work?

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

WOChrisL’s tablet died and we have one of those Lenovo Yoga laptops but the hinge broke so it can’t be closed and the screen is loose.

I posed the idea as she really doesn’t do much on the laptop other than her banking & managing her budgets via google docs. The rest of it is surfing the net & social media.  We looked at some Apple tablets with a detachable soft keyboard and she’s open to the idea but thinks the tablet won’t have the memory she needs.

How about a hinge repair? 

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Check how much memory her files take up and how much free memory is available on the various tablets.  If she needs huge storage for old files, 5 TB USB Drives are $109.95 on Amazon, smaller ones less - I have a couple for backups plus and extra drive when I'm running my laptop, which only has a 0.5 TB drive and I have lots of movies and other large files.

Personally, I love a 17" laptop so I haven't studied tablets or small laptops.  I bought a Kindle reader that died in my 2020 house fire, but didn't buy another one because my smartphone lets me read ebooks comfortably.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

My wife (who also uses her for some work stuff), went back to a laptop.  Not super big, not super heavy, but able to add the programs she needed and do what she wants it to do.  She prefers it over a tablet as it has a full size keyboard.  If your wife types a lot, she may find the smaller attachable keyboard troublesome over time

• Thank You 1

18 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I have a desktop (Dell), laptop (HP), and tablet (iPad). For anything  remotely serious, I prefer the desktop or laptop. I do have external hard drives for backup and additional storage.

This. I use my desktop for work.  Higher speed, more capacity.  I travel with a MacBook Air.  It just has better capability and function than a tablet. 

• Heart 1