For us Crisco Kids: Fat in the Can

MickinMD

I bought new clothes when everything except what was on my back went in the Mar. 2020 house fire.

I didn't buy much in casual clothes since then and my Walmart "George" store brand stonewashed jeans looked dull even after being washed.

So I looked for jeans at Amazon during this, Maryland Tax Free Week, where under $100 clothes are tax free instead of 6% sales tax.

I was going to get "flex" jeans - which have a small piece of elastic on each side along the belt line that stretches - when I noticed that Wrangler "relaxed fit" jeans have a "relaxed fit through the seat and thigh."  I've bought Wrangler before and know which of its sizes fit me.  So, with 42 lbs still to go to get to a BMI that's "overweight" instead of "obese," I decided that extra room in those places was a good thing.

I'm wearing them today for the first time.  The extra room is excellent.  A couple times I reached around to my back pockets because they didn't feel as tight as normal!

Also, I don't think I've every bought "khaki jeans" before.  So I got 2 khaki and 2 blue stonewashed pairs. 

image.thumb.png.0792a1e594a850697eafaef66cb6e63c.png

• Heart 4

I thought this was going to be about Crisco!  I used to buy it big tubs.  When I was in college and after, I would make chicken fried steak and fried chicken on a pretty regular basis.  Would also fry my own taco shells on taco nights.  Went through a lot of Crisco shortening.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I bought new clothes when everything except what was on my back went in the Mar. 2020 house fire.

I didn't buy much in casual clothes since then and my Walmart "George" store brand stonewashed jeans looked dull even after being washed.

So I looked for jeans at Amazon during this, Maryland Tax Free Week, where under $100 clothes are tax free instead of 6% sales tax.

I was going to get "flex" jeans - which have a small piece of elastic on each side along the belt line that stretches - when I noticed that Wrangler "relaxed fit" jeans have a "relaxed fit through the seat and thigh."  I've bought Wrangler before and know which of its sizes fit me.  So, with 42 lbs still to go to get to a BMI that's "overweight" instead of "obese," I decided that extra room in those places was a good thing.

I'm wearing them today for the first time.  The extra room is excellent.  A couple times I reached around to my back pockets because they didn't feel as tight as normal!

Also, I don't think I've every bought "khaki jeans" before.  So I got 2 khaki and 2 blue stonewashed pairs. 

image.thumb.png.0792a1e594a850697eafaef66cb6e63c.png

You don’t even look overweight in that photo, congratulations on the weight loss.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

I was a Levis buttonfly 501 guy for decades.  Then went to a relaxed fit as I hit middle age.   When I started wearing boots again on a daily basis, I went to Wrangler.  I love their relaxed fit George Strait jeans, have three pairs.  Also have some black Wranglers and today and wearing a pair of relaxed fit Cowboy Cut rigid indigo jeans.   Jeans, boots and a company logo t shirt is my daily office attire.

• Heart 1

Just now, 12string said:

Yes, let's make this about Crisco.

Crisco is definitely better for pie crusts and cookies.  

I preferred it for frying my chicken fried steak.  BTW, I can make a mean CFS!  Double dredged, spices in the flour, egg and milk bath....

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

My Mom would always line the pans with crisco when she baked when we were kids.  She'd scoop some crisco onto a piece of wax paper and spread it lightly on the bottom of the pans.

Glad you're enjoying your new jeans!

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

You’re wrong you know. Lard is better than Crisco in anything even frying chicken. Crisco is just cottonseed oil with good marketing. 

Again, this is supposed to be Crisco thread, otherwise the title would have referenced Lard Asses, not Crisco Cans!

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Again, this is supposed to be Crisco thread, otherwise the title would have referenced Lard Asses, not Crisco Cans!

You cannot deny that lard asses IS a better derogatory comment than Crisco cans. Crisco also contains hydrogenated palm oil in addition to soybean oil. 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Hey, @MickinMD… how far along in restoration after the fire have you come? Your home, stuff, lifestyle… 

Thanls for asking. I moved back into the house June 30, 2021 and the interior was complete then except for furniture, extra shelves, etc.  I'm thrilled with how much State Farm allowed my contractor to upgrade everything!

Lifestyle is back to normal except for COVID-related self-imposed limitations.

The entire home is basically new: all new interior walls, wiring and plumbing, about 1/3 new exterior walls, all new windows and doors, etc.  The house was worth about $200K before the fire and $325K now.  I put about $30K of my own money into it with termite damage repairs, an up-to-grade water line, a roof over the basement stairway, a closet for a stacked washer and dryer off the kitchen and onto part of the 12' x 10' back porch - which was completely enclosed, insulated, and connected to the heat and central air, essentially adding an extra room.

Everything is new and much improved: 92% efficiency gas heat, central air where I had 2 window air conditioners before, excellent appliances including a dishwasher I didn't have before.  Great Anderson double-pane windows with 3/4" of Argon between the panes, oak hardwood flooring on the first floor with while marble-like Congoleum in the bathroom, kitchen, and porch, and fake wood tiles on the 2nd floor, and sinks, tub, etc. all very good quality.  I had two rooms with cheap ceiling fans before the fire - one with a light.  Now I have great, quiet, 5' Hunter ceilings fans with lights in 5 rooms.

My monthly gas and electric bills were 60% of what they were before the fire until recently when utility bill inflation kicked-in, but my summer bills are still only about 80% of what they were before the fire - and before the fire I had two window air conditioners on the first floor, now I air condition the entire house.

I still have limited furniture, but State Farm gave me the final payment for my interior losses of $53,454.62 at the end of May, more than double of what I expected, so I'm slowly adding things.  My living room is basically a recliner, a 65" TV, a Yamaha digital piano, and tray tables, so I've done limited entertaining with padded folding chairs.

This year, I put in an 18' x 6' veggie garden and built an 8' x 10' shed.  I've also had to do some massive weed control: they flourished during the 16 months it took to rebuild the house and it's taking time to restore the lawn, etc.

I want to do some front porch and back porch landing improvements, this year or next Spring. I expect to fence in the sides and backyard by this fall. I also need to seal some cracks in the basement cinder block walls and paint them with Drylok to seal water out.  That's about all I need.

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, 12string said:

Wait - Crisco is made from VEGETABLES!?

You guys are ruining this for me!

Crisco is made of vegetable oils: Soybean Oil, Fully Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Palm Oil, Mono And Diglycerides, TBHQ And Citric Acid (Antioxidants).

Oils are basically fats.

I got the thread title from my father telling me, when I was young, that the only overweight sibling was his brother John and they used to call him "The Crisco Kid: fat in the can."

By the way, the Cisco Kid TV series was a favorite of mine in the 50's and in recent reruns I can't find anymore.  When some cool result occurred when I was about 7, my father would look at me and say, "Oh, Pancho!" and I'd reply, "Oh Cisco," as was done at the end of every episode.  The adults thought that was cute and it was a performance that often won candy!

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Are you insuring the rebuild with State Farm, too? I love that your utility bills are lower, even with an added dishwasher. 

Yes - State Farm.  I was afraid State Farm was going to cancel me after this.  But they actually lowered my rates, including car insurance, because of less driving during the pandemic.  State Farm has been very good to me when I needed them in the 2000's.

My previous house had a minor fire in 2005 - begun on the outside and caused by lightning hitting the transformer on a telephone pole and apparently the sparks and transformer fluid splashing.  It was an "act of God" or whatever they call it legally and the power company wasn't responsible so State Farm paid for the repairs.  In 2017 and 2019, I was in minor fender-benders that were the other drivers' faults - 2017 a State Police woman! - and I went through State Farm and had them handle everything: they paid for car repairs except for a $100 deductible and a rental car and then they and I were reimbursed by the State of MD (it self-insures the State Police) and by the other guy's insurance.  I was hit by a State Police Nat. Resources Ford F-250 truck and in 2019 by a Ford F-150.  Thank God they don't make a Ford F-050!

Then this fire that required rebuilding 50% of the house frame, all the windows, doors, interior walls, floors, etc. and resulted in a surprise final check of $53,454.62 for personal property losses on top of the $4000 they gave me as an advance the day after the fire.

My SiL said I could get insurance a little cheaper than State Farm, but I'd be a fool to do so in view of how good State Farm has been to me!

My home is now worth more than before and State Farm added $60,520 to the house coverage and a little more to other coverages and raised my monthy premium $9.67 to a combined Auto/Home insurance of $213.88/month of which $89.50/month is home insurance and now covers up to:

Dwelling $302,600, Other Structures: $30,260, Personal Property: $226,950, Loss of use: $90,780 (including up to 2 years in a luxury apartment), Personal Liability: $300,000.

Since the house and property are worth a total of about $325,000 and the land is worth about $75,000, the coverage is plenty and I know State Farm will fulfill it's obligations with a lot of extra care.

22 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I’ve talked with mr. about switching to State Farm. We have Met Life coverage as part of union benefits, but we’re not in the union anymore. 

We switched ours to State Farm, based mostly on Micks experience, and onerous rate increases by Progressive 

• Heart 1

I bought a house in 1991 and, on a friend's recommendation, went to Sears, who owned Allstate Insurance back then.  The Allstate agent did a lot of leg work for me when two of us went on a 2-week driving trip out to Yellowstone and back to Maryland in the middle of the mortgage approval and related stuff.

Within a year or so, I realized I could get much lower rates from State Farm and felt guilty switching over, but that Allstate agent couldn't get close to State Farm's rates, so I switched - I guess around 1993.

Later, some friends and relatives recommended lower-priced insurance companies with which they had policies, but from 2005 on I have had home and car claims that State Farm handled quickly, helpfully, and without raising my rates.  I'm so comfortable with State Farm that it will be my home and car insurer as long as I've got a home and car.

• Heart 1