Why Do YOU Smell, Your Clothes Smell, And Your House Smell?

Razors Edge

...and clearly not everyone is like @ChrisL and his weird fishing.

I had the TV on in the background as I made my lunch today, and a series of ads ran.  One was an ad for smelly clothes (after washing!).  Another was for Febreze or similar.  I got to thinking, folks seem to worry a lot about stinking or having smelly things, but WHY is that?  Is it some false worry or reality? I sort of figure I "understood" body odor by my mid-teens and started using anti-perspirant & deodorant.  Never had a BO issue since (except camping for a week or more my sneakers will need to air our each evening).  Same with clothes - we use a non-scented detergent, and never have an issue with my stuff smelling. I can often be on a ride and smell a person before getting anywhere near them - from awful BO or food-stink to overkill the other direction (ie too much fragrance in their detergent or not rinsed well).  And homes that stink? Sure, with a cat you might need to find a good spot for kitty litter or might want to open the windows when cooking fish, but otherwise????

Just wondering.

5 minutes ago, 12string said:

Ummmm.... Hockey bags.

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Wet hockey gear, in a Las Vegas rental. :)

Yeah - I think sports gear - especially not immediately hung up to dry & air out or laid in the sun for some natural disinfecting is normal.  With my bike shoes, I take the insoles out after every ride and let them dry. Otherwise, they would definitely stay damp and god knows what would grow. Pop them in the sun once in a while and they are reborn!

9 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

It's called marketing. Create a demand for a product, even if it's not needed, then sell the product to the gullible consumers.

Yeah - what's up with that?  Smell is something you can actually "verify", so not like "fashion" or even "hype" (like a new blue bike).  Either you stink, or you don't.  Same with clothes, the house, the car, etc.. :dontknow:

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - what's up with that?  Smell is something you can actually "verify", so not like "fashion" or even "hype" (like a new blue bike).  Either you stink, or you don't.  Same with clothes, the house, the car, etc.. :dontknow:

Friends of ours playing in Vegan.  My nostrils were scarred.

I use HE (High Efficiency) Tide, as called for by my LG Washttower Washer where the detergent and the fabric softener go into built-into-the-washer tiny tubs before you begin the wash.  Downy is the fabric softener.

They come out smelling great.

For the dryer, I toss in one or two dryer sheets (Bounce, Downy, whatever's cheap) for more softening and fragrance and to cut down on static in clothes.

The public water supply to my house is Baltimore City water, which comes from stream-fed reservoirs and is famous for its softness.  Hard water may cause some problems in some locations.