What do you think?

Zealot

I relax and socialize far more easily when I have a couple. The weight of the world drops from my shoulders and so truly enjoy those I’m around. 

This isn’t something new for me. But it seems to go against convention. And I ponder it deeply.

@jsharr, did/do you consider it negative for yourself?

I’ve seen a lot of results. Most are fun, a few were not. At 18 a friend and I had a few beers. Went out for fast food. I got pulled over for speeding. I was going to take the ticket to avoid a breath test. My got mouthy with the cop, saying I wasn’t speeding, etc. The cop arrested my friend and told me to go home. 

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Further said:

But really if I’m not drinking also, any kind of drunk is not fun 

This. I hate being around out of control drunk people. In our culture you don’t see it that much unless you go to bars, parties, football games and urban centers. Even on our boat cruise the other day, fully stocked bar and about 50 people- zero drunk people or signs of it. 

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I am not the person to ask if you want an unbiased answer.  I grew up in a family of drunks with an abusive drunken stepfather.  Eventually they were all destroyed as people.

I am always looking for unbiased answers, @maddmaxx.

I know the sting of the abuser.  You have my empathy.

4 minutes ago, Zealot said:

I should be a little more clear I suppose. I’m not really speaking of drunks. But I understand that’s often a very fluid target. 

But speaking more of someone who drinks enough to ‘take the edge off’. 

The issue is do they stop or slow down when the edge is dulled 

I know I’ve crossed that line 

24 minutes ago, Zealot said:

I relax and socialize far more easily when I have a couple. The weight of the world drops from my shoulders and so truly enjoy those I’m around. 

This isn’t something new for me. But it seems to go against convention. And I ponder it deeply.

@jsharr, did/do you consider it negative for yourself?

No, but realized that the drunk happy me and the undrunk uptight me are too different people.   I can't stay drunk all the time and need to work on finding the happiness and balance.  Strangely, I can tell others about this, but have a hard time doing it myself and I see the angry uptight me in both my sons.   It concerns me.

• Hugs 1

20 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I had to work with a guy who was OK with a few drinks in him. He was a PITA sober and a total jackass when blitzed. Even at his best, he wasn't anyone's better person.

I often wonder what makes a person a PITA when sober but less so when drinking.  

18 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I knew a guy in the Army who was a pretty fun drunk.  One of the few.

I don’t drink much anymore but I was a happy drunk.  I was pretty drunk when I met my wife.  She thought I was funny so good thing I wasn’t a pissed off drunk. 

I don’t get drunk at this stage of life. But I did when I was younger. Like you, I’m a happy drunk; laugh at everything.  

I’ve known the angry drunks. And I wonder why they are. 

13 minutes ago, Zealot said:

I don’t get drunk at this stage of life. But I did when I was younger. Like you, I’m a happy drunk; laugh at everything.  

I’ve known the angry drunks. And I wonder why they are. 

We had a guy in my platoon who was a raging lunatic when drunk.  Helluva soldier but his drinking caused him a lot of problems.  DUI’s relieved of duty etc.  

This guy freaking jumped off a 2nd floor balcony onto a concrete pad & did a PLF (parachute landing fall) and freaking walked away!?!?  He was one tough MF’r too and I always felt better going into a fight knowing he was with us. 

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We had a guy in my platoon who was a raging lunatic when drunk.  Helluva soldier but his drinking caused him a lot of problems.  DUI’s relieved of duty etc.  

This guy freaking jumped off a 2nd floor balcony onto a concrete pad & did a PLF (parachute landing fall) and freaking walked away!?!?  He was one tough MF’r too and I always felt better going into a fight knowing he was with us. 

I had one like that who worked for me.  He was given to me because everyone else gave up on him.  He was a very good worker but every now and then he would go out drinking, get married and show up late enough to be awol.  They would bust him back to E3 and confine him to the ship and my crew for 3 or 6 months and he sould straighten out.  Rinse and repeat.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

That sounds more like PCP than alcohol. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Those are not the reasons i drank. But there is a large underground organization that would suggest you drink over character defects such as sloth, lust, lying, stealing, adultery, etc.  Sound familiar?

?? No, not really.

My thoughts were more along what trauma happens in a person’s early life that causes the later behavior issues. Root causes.

7 minutes ago, Zealot said:

That sounds more like PCP than alcohol. 

Right!?! He never failed a drug test tho, it was alcohol.  

We were stone cold sober for this but we got into a head butting contest once. Now I’m not the smartest guy around and I wasn’t going to let that guy beat me so we kept bashing foreheads, neither of us would back down.  Thank god our buddies broke it up but we were a bloody mess by the end of that one! 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Zealot said:

?? No, not really.

My thoughts were more along what trauma happens in a person’s early life that causes the later behavior issues. Root causes.

Then you should take that up with the AA board.  I'm all for it but there is no "answer" for addiction -- if we are talking alcoholics.  People who just flip -- beats me.  There are those that argue alcohol is truth syrup but I don't believe it.  It can be but folks lie a lot under it and do things they would not normally do.  Is that truth?  

4 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

Beers 1-4 I liked to think I was fun to be around. Problem was 1 always became 20. 

I wasn't a happy drunk or an angry drunk. I was just a drunk.

same here, I'm more of a boring tired drunk:huh:

I agree with a drink or three after a while is fine. After that ya don' t know any truths IMO.