The biggest threat to cyclists is not what you think.

I'm pretty good about sunscreen in the summer, and relatively good about having a dermatologist look me over, but I never feel like I am 100% sure they checked everything perfectly. I hope I'm doing well, but darn it, I am not totally sure of it.

I did get a burn on my feet in Aruba this spring that was annoying.  Took my shoes and socks off to walk in the sand and water, and wanted my feet to dry before I put them back on. PINK PINK PINK. :angry:

• Heart 1

With all the skin I have had exposed to the sun most of my skin cancers have been on my arms and face that are exposed while cycling. I have had a few on my back and chest probably from doing yard and garden work without a shirt on. It hard to put sunblock on your back. I use spray sunblock now. That is a little easier to apply.

14 hours ago, Longjohn said:

With all the skin I have had exposed to the sun most of my skin cancers have been on my arms and face that are exposed while cycling. I have had a few on my back and chest probably from doing yard and garden work without a shirt on. It hard to put sunblock on your back. I use spray sunblock now. That is a little easier to apply.

At a beach or pool, I stick with a sun shirt nowadays.  Usually a beach umbrella, too, if hanging by the ocean.  I feel like there are four or five high risk spots for me now - back of hands, top of feet, ears/nose/forehead, and scalp.  I try to wear a hat all the time in the sun.  I'm pretty good about getting all the spots on my face with the hat brim shielding my forehead usually.  But backs of hands are okay with bike gloves, but less so when not riding, and feet usually have socks or I keep them shaded when possible.

The sun, though, is relentless, so whatever we can do to block the rays and to keep an eye on trouble spots, the better!