George Thorogood?

MoseySusan

21 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

mr. would like to see him live next week. I’m lukewarm. Has anyone seen him live? Good music, or a headache waiting to happen? 

I saw him at the North Carolina state fair a bit more than 20 years ago.  He was ok in the first few songs, then everything sounded alike and many people left to go to the other stages for different performers.   Maybe not a headache waiting to happen, but a ho-hum experience waiting to happen, unless you are a superfan of some sort. 

If I had free tickets?  I'd go drink beer and people watch.  Me buying the tickets for his band only?  I'd skip and wait for a better act for a date night.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

He is bad to the bone.

That was the song everyone wanted to hear, plus the "One bourbon, one scotch, one beer" song.

Maybe I was harsh, I suppose a state fair maybe isn't the best place to see a band.  It'd probably be fun, RS, it was the meatloaf talking earlier!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I would imagine it will be a few long rambling jam sessions.  Not judging, it will probably be good.

Back in the day I had a live album (we’ll tape) and there were numerous jam sessions in the middle of his songs. Definitely not the radio versions. 

If you like that sorta thing it’s cool, I was lukewarm to that tape & liked the radio versions of his songs better. FWIW I saw Dave Mathew’s in 2018’ish and I found the really long jam sessions a bit of a bore so maybe it’s just me…

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Back in the day I had a live album (we’ll tape) and there were numerous jam sessions in the middle of his songs. Definitely not the radio versions. 

If you like that sorta thing it’s cool, I was lukewarm to that tape & liked the radio versions of his songs better. FWIW I saw Dave Mathew’s in 2018’ish and I found the really long jam sessions a bit of a bore so maybe it’s just me…

I had his greatest hits and maybe another CD???

From the list, I remember several of these being fun and they'd probably be fun in a show: Move It On Over,  Who Do You Love?, Madison Blues,  Bad To The Bone, I Drink Alone, and, of course, One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

I like all the songs, and I’m ok with live jam sessions. Ticket price is ok; the venue doesn’t serve alcohol. I guess I’d like to go. 

I think with live music that is always the best choice.  I have been happy with almost everything I've gone to and regretful for every one I didn't go to.  No Regerts, baby!

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I think with live music that is always the best choice.  I have been happy with almost everything I've gone to and regretful for every one I didn't go to.  No Regerts, baby!

Even when parts turn out to be annoying, they usually make for a good story.   But I agree, I tend to enjoy the experience even when I don't love the music.

• Heart 1

I have yet to see him live. I would like to. I had the chance to see him a few years ago, but there were conflicts and choices had to be made. 
Blues rock with a mean slide a la Hound Dog Taylor. He makes no bones that he is a fan and an imitator, not an innovator. Jim Breuer said about AC/DC that all their songs are the same song, but it’s such a cool song! Same could be said of Thorogood!

• Heart 2

Just now, groupw said:

I have yet to see him live. I would like to. I had the chance to see him a few years ago, but there were conflicts and choices had to be made. 
Blues rock with a mean slide a la Hound Dog Taylor. He makes no bones that he is a fan and an imitator, not an innovator. Jim Breuer said about AC/DC that all their songs are the same song, but it’s such a cool song! Same could be said of Thorogood!

Who do you love? is my favorite. 

• Heart 2