Thankful for the dogs

Airehead

I was gonna make this a new post, but it seems more apropos here. And first I was gonna put it in Pokey's thread aboot being grouchy because of his post a few up from here, but I just missed the evil ( :D) one hour edit window.  Anyway, a reflection on the short life of dogz.

After a year and a half without one I think we are finally ready to get another dog.  Funny, I just read an awesome book aboot a man and his dog, and he elected to never get another dog after his died, I think largely because his situation was so unique and the dog was totally devoted to him throughout its life.  My mother has also opted for that route after her last one, a cocker spaniel, died young.

But I think it is just a fact of life that dogz don't last long and it is a personal decision how you handle that, so I don't think that it is betraying the trust of Fidos long gone to get another.  In our case it will be the same breed, so I am sure there will be bittersweet moments as the things it does remind us of the one who is gone. Sad on one hand, but could also just be a flash of memory of the good times with the old dog, realising that the new one is not a replacement,

Anyway, I think what I am trying to say, is "if you want love, get a dog". :D  Or maybe more apropos, paraphrased from Todd Rundgren, "It's like nothing else to make you enjoy your life". :)

• Heart 3

I was gonna make this a new post, but it seems more apropos here. And first I was gonna put it in Pokey's thread aboot being grouchy because of his post a few up from here, but I just missed the evil ( :D) one hour edit window.  Anyway, a reflection on the short life of dogz.

After a year and a half without one I think we are finally ready to get another dog.  Funny, I just read an awesome book aboot a man and his dog, and he elected to never get another dog after his died, I think largely because his situation was so unique and the dog was totally devoted to him throughout its life.  My mother has also opted for that route after her last one, a cocker spaniel, died young.

But I think it is just a fact of life that dogz don't last long and it is a personal decision how you handle that, so I don't think that it is betraying the trust of Fidos long gone to get another.  In our case it will be the same breed, so I am sure there will be bittersweet moments as the things it does remind us of the one who is gone. Sad on one hand, but could also just be a flash of memory of the good times with the old dog, realising that the new one is not a replacement,

Anyway, I think what I am trying to say, is "if you want love, get a dog". :D  Or maybe more apropos, paraphrased from Todd Rundgren, "It's like nothing else to make you enjoy your life". :)

Very well worded. I liked theOatmeal explanation of a dog and your love of them. I would post it but it is a little long so linky: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox

• Awesome 1

• 5 years later...
On 11/26/2014 at 8:32 PM, Airehead said:

Baron touches the center of my heart.

post-30-0-68968800-1417052002.jpg

I loved that dog.  I let Lindy sleep on that bed last night when we got him home from the hospital.  Lindy seemed to know this was special.

4 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Nice dredge/

It made me smile.  Now have three new dogs-- how things change so quickly-- Lindy, Ryan and Paulie 

• Heart 1

• 1 year later...

We don't have any pets anymore but when Wo46 comes home from her volunteer work at the shelter I get to hear all the stories about these guys. It started with going in 1 or 2 days a week...now it's 4 or 5 and she's staying longer 

1088431212_Screenshot_20211125-061721_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.388675255901a0b04eeb632473fb6732.jpg21615106_Screenshot_20211125-061742_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.91f9a69630ceef73c594b563be9eea92.jpg

• Awesome 1

29 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

BR46, it is amazing that one of them has not yet found its way home with her!

I'm surprised my self.....she also volunteers at Pets mart taking care of cats and the assisted living home. 

It's the assisted living place that scares me...next thing you know some old man follows her home and I hear the words......can I keep him. I promise to feed him and walk him and clean up after him. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I'm surprised my self.....she also volunteers at Pets mart taking care of cats and the assisted living home. 

It's the assisted living place that scares me...next thing you know some old man follows her home and I hear the words......can I keep him. I promise to feed him and walk him and clean up after him. 

What does she actually do at assisted living? Hospice had volunteers and I thought that would be good when I had doctor appointments. It wasn’t. They were not allowed to do anything. I guess they could sit and watch you. I only used them once.

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

What does she actually do at assisted living? Hospice had volunteers and I thought that would be good when I had doctor appointments. It wasn’t. They were not allowed to do anything. I guess they could sit and watch you. I only used them once.

A few times a month she helps with getting people to and from their hair appointments and when they have entertainment she helps with getting them around in their wheelchairs.