So, I was standing in an airport the other day..

Wilbur
Go to solution Solved by Rattlecan,

Hunting should be only for things you will eat and not for just sport. There really is no reason to hunt large prey hen you know the items they are hunting for survival. 
Also if you can afford and purchase a hunting trip to hunt a lion, you deserve to be hunted by the tribe

• Heart 1

When I was growing up and for years after, TV was ripe with PSA's asking the public not to litter.  It seemed to raise the awareness of a whole generation about the evils of littering.  Roads and neighborhoods became cleaner as a result.  But today's generation seems unconcerned about throwing their trash out of their car windows.  I live on a busy street, and the litter problem here has multiplied greatly over the last few years.

Using mass media for good is something we need to return to, I think.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

• Solution
49 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A TV had one of hunting shows on and I watched for about 2 minutes while some African scouts were leading a pair of American hunters to shoot a lion.  When the two were patting each other on the back and laughing about the kill, it really hit home that some things we do as humans are just incredibly wrong. 

I have no problem hunting to put food on the table but this is hunting to hang a head on a wall.  It disgusted me.  My reaction was instant and visceral but it also angered me. 

So, I called a friend of mine and made a donation to his big game preservation group in Kenya.  They actively promote the stopping of big game hunting and employ troops to track and report poachers. 

I have a new mission.  

I’m with you. The only thing you should shoot those animals with is a camera.

I have no objection to harvesting animals for food or if culling is deemed necessary but otherwise no.

• Heart 2

Well, just as a small counterpoint, a lot of the African game programs fund, at least a portion of their conservation efforts with “hunts”. People pay a LOT of $$ to bag a animal. It’s on a sliding scale, a little-alot (sic) of money for elands, etc.; a mid-alot (sic) of $ for gnu-sized animal; and an absolute crapton of $$ for the big one like water buffalo & lions. 

Additionally, there’s money for prepping whatever is going to be exported home and shipping/handling/taxes. 

If the meat is edible, it’s eaten by the locals.