Struggling with my truck

Parr8hed

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

The damn f350 has a small coolant leak.  Can't see it, can just smell it.  I have diagnosed it with the help of a small extendable mirror and the youtubes.

Ordered the turbo coolant line.  Part is cheap enough,  But I spent 2.5 hours last night just getting down to the part that I need to replace.  It sure is squeezed down into the valley of the motor.  It is gonna be a PITA to get out and refit.  Hope I can get it all back together.

My buddy is trying to sell me his F350.  You want it?  

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Sometimes you get better access from under the vehicle.

Some vehicles are so bad that the factory mechanics will drop the engine to get to the spark plugs faster. (Dodge carivan)

These trucks get the cab pulled often.  Many things that would seem to be normal maintenance involve pulling the cab.  

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Def. get a feeling of accomplishment when you can diagnose and repair your own vehicles.  I guess the PITA does add some to that, but I would be fine with a little less PITA.  

This is how I felt after fixing the infotainment center in the 3 hundo with the help of the youtubes.   Cost me a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, a roll of clear gorilla tape, some plastic scrapers, and a few old t shirts cut into rags and less than 2 hours of my time, most of it spent indoors, drinking coffee and watching Sunday football pregame while wiping goo off an LCD screen and digitizer.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Ordered the turbo coolant line.  Part is cheap enough,  But I spent 2.5 hours last night just getting down to the part that I need to replace.  It sure is squeezed down into the valley of the motor.  It is gonna be a PITA to get out and refit.  Hope I can get it all back together.

And that is why I gave up working on cars.  It's just too much of a PITA to do anything.  At least in the 70s and 80s, there was ROOM around the engine.  I'd be a F350 back then... you could probably climb into the engine compartment to get at things.  

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I’ve pretty much stopped working on cars.

Yeah... I just pay the guy now, and drink coffee.  

3 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

And that is why I gave up working on cars.  It's just too much of a PITA to do anything.  At least in the 70s and 80s, there was ROOM around the engine.  I'd be a F350 back then... you could probably climb into the engine compartment to get at things.  

I changed the Earl and filter on the CRV last week. First time for me on this car. We have always had Honda’s and I pretty much know all the places they hide the Earl filter. It is fairly dark under the car and the sun was shining bright the day I changed my Earl. I slid under the car and looked where Honda always hid the filter on Esther’s other CRVs. They now have a frame member right where they used to hide the filter.i slid out and went around and checked behind the right front tire where they hid the flitter on the Accord. Nope not there either. I slid back underneath and turned on the flashlight on my eyefone. If it was a snake it would have bit me. Right below the drain plug was the filter. 😳 Since when did they start making things easier?

• Heart 2

28 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

A buddy of mine is a Honda mechanic going back decades.  He can fix anything, and is honest and I practically have to force money into his hand for many repairs.  He works at a family owned shop, so I just drop my cars with him and he drives it to work, fixes it after hours, and I pick it up a week later. It ain't "fast", but he gets it done better than if I drop it at the dealer or locally and have to deal with that song-and-dance.

• Heart 4

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I changed the Earl and filter on the CRV last week. First time for me on this car. We have always had Honda’s and I pretty much know all the places they hide the Earl filter. It is fairly dark under the car and the sun was shining bright the day I changed my Earl. I slid under the car and looked where Honda always hid the filter on Esther’s other CRVs. They now have a frame member right where they used to hide the filter.i slid out and went around and checked behind the right front tire where they hid the flitter on the Accord. Nope not there either. I slid back underneath and turned on the flashlight on my eyefone. If it was a snake it would have bit me. Right below the drain plug was the filter. 😳 Since when did they start making things easier?

Something has gone siriously wrong in Honda engineering. :D

The last time I TRIED to change the earl in the del sol the plug was so tight I couldn't even get it loose with a breaker bar that was aboot a foot or so long.  So I gave up before something bad happened!  Of course I rewarded the idiots what done it by taking it back there. :(

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Something has gone siriously wrong in Honda engineering. :D

The last time I TRIED to change the earl in the del sol the plug was so tight I couldn't even get it loose with a breaker bar that was aboot a foot or so long.  So I gave up before something bad happened!  Of course I rewarded the idiots what done it by taking it back there. :(

I had to use a six point socket, breaker bar, and a Ford hammer to break mine loose. It’ snot that tight anymore.

14 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

How on earth did that start leaking? I thought you were talking about a hose.

The fitting that is between my thumb and middle finger screws into the turbo housing.  The fitting is a POS.  It has O rings in it that leak over time.  The new fitting is a different, better design.  The worst part was trying the get the little clip off the old fitting, allowing the hose to pull out.  I ended up cutting the tube and just unbolting the fitting.  To get the new one tightened down I had to cut a old box wrench in half to be able to use it in the tight space. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sinister-Diesel-Coolant-2011-2016-Powerstroke/dp/B07F7N4B4N/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=sinister+diesel+6.7+turbo+coolant+line&qid=1663335387&sr=8-2

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 9/13/2022 at 8:20 AM, Parr8hed said:

The damn f350 has a small coolant leak.  Can't see it, can just smell it.  I have diagnosed it with the help of a small extendable mirror and the youtubes.

Are you sure that it will solve the problem?

2 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

I’ve never seen a turbo with a coolant line even on heavy truck engines.

Must be because everything is packed in there so tight.

I have seen EGR coolant lines.

My only turbo experience with turbos is truck engines. My 150 is a twin turbo 3.5 gas and it had coolant and oil lines going to it. The diesel just has a coolant line. I’ve no idea about car turbos.  

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Didn’t run hot. Winning. 

:)  good job...

23 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Put about 200 miles on the truck.

image.png.836f8c5a3972c086f80c43d16a7f2c0c.png 

So you test drive cost you about $75.    :frantics:

I'll keep my Prius for a while.   $75 will get me about 1,100 miles down the road.   (Yeah I know...  I can't tow anything,  but my idea of glamping is a Holiday Inn Express.)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

:)  good job...

image.png.836f8c5a3972c086f80c43d16a7f2c0c.png 

So you test drive cost you about $75.    :frantics:

I'll keep my Prius for a while.   $75 will get me about 1,100 miles down the road.   (Yeah I know...  I can't tow anything,  but my idea of glamping is a Holiday Inn Express.)

The price to pay when you drive big toys😂😂😂

fortunately this one is just a third car and only used to pull/haul.   My everyday truck gets MUCH better mileage. It’s way up at 17😂😂😂

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

The price to pay when you drive big toys😂😂😂

fortunately this one is just a third car and only used to pull/haul.   My everyday truck gets MUCH better mileage. It’s way up at 17😂😂😂

Heck, still cheaper than a flight for the family to LA and back!

• Heart 1