chopped liver is no longer with us

Dottleshead

No shit!  My life sucks big time compared to yours.  See, this is where people just can't relate at times.  It seems to someone like me that you've got everything in life and you should be happy as hell.  I guess this is why there are professionals to help people with depression and such.  I hope you are seeking the right help when it is needed.  

I gave on on "professionals" about 8 years ago.  It didn't help at all.

As far as comparing one persons life to another, that can't realistically be done.  Also, if I tip over on my bike and bang up my knee, it still hurts.  Did it hurt as much as what you and BoSox went through this year?  Of course not, but it still hurt me regardless of what you went through.

I think depression is partly inherited, partly nurture and partly crap luck.  My parents are not positive people, they are good people, but not positive.  So growing up I had nothing to help me.  Then there is the possibility that I have a chemical imbalance.  For instance, why do some people seem naturally happy?  I honestly can't understand that.

I think depression is partly inherited, partly nurture and partly crap luck.  My parents are not positive people, they are good people, but not positive.  So growing up I had nothing to help me.  Then there is the possibility that I have a chemical imbalance.  For instance, why do some people seem naturally happy?  I honestly can't understand that.

Can't they figure out if it is chemical/physical and give you something to help alleviate the problem?  I know nothing about depression but it seems I've heard there are drugs that people can take to help.

Can't they figure out if it is chemical/physical and give you something to help alleviate the problem?  I know nothing about depression but it seems I've heard there are drugs that people can take to help.

I think medical science has a way to go before it becomes that easy.  The brain is devilishly complex.

I gave on on "professionals" about 8 years ago.  It didn't help at all.

I prefer to read books about how people react successfully in times of duress, or in other words why people consider them 'great'.  I read this and found it insightful on Abraham Lincoln and the topic of depression, for what it may be worth.

106591.jpg

Wow, haven't really been on the forums lately, someone did message me about this. Kinda hit me between the eyes--he's trying to do the right thing, staying fit, I wasn't, and yet I'm still here and he's not.  46 v 47, so we're of an age, makes it hard to accept. Gotta be brutal on his family, I'm sure mine can empathize.

I'm feeling guilty that my recovery is going well, even.  Just trying to stay positive, and gratitude keeps that going for me at least. Amazing support from family, church, work, and the support from my online friends--you guys astound me sometimes--kept me from curling up into a ball and quitting. Kinda the guilt thing, after all I've been given, how can I quit now?

RIP Sonny, you'll be missed.

• Heart 1

Dotman17 pretty much hit the nail on the head. Anyone who is sucking the energy/life out of you must be tossed. Life is hard enough as it is, to have to deal with this type of behavior. Throw depression in and oh man.

SW...yes you're so correct regarding how much your family needs you. And that's not guilt you're feeling, but the love.

Pain will wax and wane....and it will always be there lurking...but it cannot trump the good things you have.

I understand this thread must unpin.

I also understand that the Cafe' will always be in his honor which is beyond a beautiful thing.

I was just wondering if there was maybe 1 more small thing that we could do to honor Sonny as time marches on? I don't have any specific suggestions, I'm just wondering.

• Heart 1

No, I completely understand the unpin. No problem there.

The Cafe' will always be dedicated to Chopped_Liver though, yes?

And I agree with honoring is a personal thing. My q was just along the lines of 1 more respectful gesture.

Such as maybe his join date automatically celebrated? I don't know, just asking

I was just wondering if there was maybe 1 more small thing that we could do to honor Sonny as time marches on? I don't have any specific suggestions, I'm just wondering.

I was thinking something similar.

The only thing that came to my mind is if one of us can get his home address (his wife and daughter's address), maybe we could organize all writing out some nice heart felt cards about what he meant to us and either coordinate to all send them at the same time or have one person we all send them to who sends them in one big bunch.

Thoughts?

• Heart 1

Not sure if that's better or worse.

When I lost my mom, I think that may have been just out far enough I was finally getting it off my mind, and then *bam* big reminder.

Everybody is different, though.

What do others think?

True, it is a double edged sword...

• Heart 1

I would suggest putting it off for a year.  Then, one year from now, I'd suggest someone willing to organize the effort start a thread to collect a group donation to the American Heart Association, the American Diabetes Association, or some other worthy charity.  Once the donation was made, send a card to the family with a short note saying we still remember CL, and that we made a donation in memory of him.

It will give the family an entire year to heal as best they may.  We can be assured in one year's time they too will be thinking about CL.  By us making a donation and sending a letter around that time we'll be much less likely to unnecessarily re-open any grieving, and may just provide a measure of comfort when the family will be thinking of CL more often than they might otherwise.

• Heart 4

I would suggest putting it off for a year.  Then, one year from now, I'd suggest someone willing to organize the effort start a thread to collect a group donation to the American Heart Association, the American Diabetes Association, or some other worthy charity.  Once the donation was made, send a card to the family with a short note saying we still remember CL, and that we made a donation in memory of him.

It will give the family an entire year to heal as best they may.  We can be assured in one year's time they too will be thinking about CL.  By us making a donation and sending a letter around that time we'll be much less likely to unnecessarily re-open any grieving, and may just provide a measure of comfort when the family will be thinking of CL more often than they might otherwise.

I like it!!

I also volunteer to organize it.

• Heart 1

:(

After my Mom passed, an acquaintance of hers sent a card stating that she thought of her often. The card came about 18 mos. or so after moms passing. The card was a welcome rememberence without having the loss so fresh. TK...this is an excellent thought.

• 6 years later...
On 12/8/2014 at 12:09 AM, Stuck said:

Wow, haven't really been on the forums lately, someone did message me about this. Kinda hit me between the eyes--he's trying to do the right thing, staying fit, I wasn't, and yet I'm still here and he's not.  46 v 47, so we're of an age, makes it hard to accept. Gotta be brutal on his family, I'm sure mine can empathize.

I'm feeling guilty that my recovery is going well, even.  Just trying to stay positive, and gratitude keeps that going for me at least. Amazing support from family, church, work, and the support from my online friends--you guys astound me sometimes--kept me from curling up into a ball and quitting. Kinda the guilt thing, after all I've been given, how can I quit now?

RIP Sonny, you'll be missed.

:(

• Sad 1